Smile 2006 175 Optimax Correct Impeller?

Hey yall, decided to do the impeller change on my 06 175 optimax (SN: 1B243365) and seems I've ordered the wrong impeller with a smaller diameter. Could anyone point me in the right direction for the correct one. This was the one that I got: Quicksilver 89984T4 and the current impeller has 47:89984-3 on the side.

Thanks in advance

2. Member
    Contact forum sponsor European Marine for the correct parts kit (you'll need more than just an impeller) - If you want to order or price Mercury Engine Parts or Accessories

See this FAQ topic for reference on 2.5L Optimax water pump - Water Pump Replacement
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    89984T4 is absolutely fine to use on this engine. The ONLY difference between 89984T3 and 89984T4 is the material used in the hub (3=Fiber, 4=Brass).

The impeller must be lubricated with Dawn Dishsoap, turn the driveshaft CLOCKWISE while pushing the housing down over the impeller. It will fold the impeller blades over considerably (this "friction" is what actually pumps the water).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    89984T4 is absolutely fine to use on this engine. The ONLY difference between 89984T3 and 89984T4 is the material used in the hub (3=Fiber, 4=Brass).

The impeller must be lubricated with Dawn Dishsoap, turn the driveshaft CLOCKWISE while pushing the housing down over the impeller. It will fold the impeller blades over considerably (this "friction" is what actually pumps the water).
    Thanks for the feedback I did notice this one has the different insert. Could that cause a smaller inner diameter? I just can't get it to fit over the top of the driveshaft to slide it down. I'll have to go out and try it again. When you lubricate with dawn are you referring to the splines or the insert?

5. Member
    Lubricate insert and impeller blades with Dawn or other viscous liquid dish soap. I put some on my fingers and wipe the blades, try not to get any on the gaskets. The fiber version can be "tighter" on the driveshaft, I've used fiber and brass and never a problem with either one.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Clean that driveshaft completely to remove any carbon, dirt, debris, oil, grease, etc. Impeller hub is a close tolerance, and if there's debris on the shaft, it will be very difficult (or impossible) to move the impeller across it.

Soap is used on the rubber fins (to lubricate them).

If the new impeller still will not go over the shaft after it's clean, and you see no damage to the inner portion of the hub, return it for replacement.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

7. Member
    Whelp I'm an idiot it did end up fitting just needed a little push to get over the tip of the driveshaft I was just afraid to give it any pressure the first time thinking it would mess something up. After it got over the top it slid straight on thanks again everyone!

8. Member
    The end usually has grease on it and that was probably what was causing it to stick.
    Mercury 2002 200hp Carbed Saltwater
    OT566776
    2002 Cape Horn 22' Bay