Phenix Ultra MBX - Any reviews?

I'm looking to try and branch out from some of the bigger companies (Shimano, Daiwa, etc.) for my next rod and I came across the Ultra MBXs on Phenix's website. They are beautiful looking rods, love all the components as well. Surprised they aren't on TW.

I was hoping someone has someone has some experience with them and could provide their opinion. I don't have the money to drop on a rod I don't know anything about unfortunately, and even if I hear good things I'd probably have to wait for a sale of some kind. Not sure if Phenix ever runs deals.

I'm looking for a 1/4-3/8 oz jig/t-rig rod, something pretty sensitive. I was considering the 7' MH. I do fish around grass pretty often so maybe I'd need a H. Not sure on that yet.

Thanks for any input!

*One more thing: I typically run braid to leader so if someone could comment on how knots pass through the guides that would be fantastic
    Last edited by harrison_g711; 11-22-2020 at 06:23 PM. Reason: Wanted to add leader knot question

2. Member
    I had the 7’ MH and it was a good rod. Nothing special though in my opinion. I actually liked my Phenix X-10 crankbait rod better. Personally I think there are better options out there in that price range. Phenix rods do tend to be lower powered than other rods, so keep that in mind if you choose to get one. And by that I mean that a MH Phenix rod will fish more like another manufacturer's M powered rod. Not sure about the connection knot since I run straight braid.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by coreynov902 View Post
    I had the 7’ MH and it was a good rod. Nothing special though in my opinion. I actually liked my Phenix X-10 crankbait rod better. Personally I think there are better options out there in that price range. Phenix rods do tend to be lower powered than other rods, so keep that in mind if you choose to get one. And by that I mean that a MH Phenix rod will fish more like another manufacturer's M powered rod. Not sure about the connection knot since I run straight braid.
    Thanks for your 2 cents

As the unapologetic Phenix fanboy on this board, this seems like a place where I should give my thought! Haha

The Ultra MBX line of rods were incredible in their day, but haven't been refreshed in several years. The M1 and Feather series are actually better sticks at lower price points these days. If it were me, I'd suggest picking up the 7'1" MH Feather, and prepare yourself to be buying more. They're insanely good for their price point. Super light, well balanced, sensitive, the perfect tip, and so on. I fish braid to a 16 lb Sniper leader on one of mine as my primary light Texas rig rod which I'm almost always fishing in grass and it's absolutely perfect for that. The 1/4 oz range is really the sweet spot, but it won't have any issues with the 3/8 oz either. If you feel like you'll mostly be throwing 3/8 and may occasionally step up to 1/2, you might consider the heavy, though I think the MH is likely going to be the one you want for what you mention. If you go heavy, you're going to lose a little bit of the ability to bomb the 1/4 oz out there like you can with the MH.

The X-series composites Corey mentions are sweet too. Not something that would be good for this purpose, but I have a few of those and love them as well. So light for composite sticks, and they just perform so well for moving baits.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewFlu33 View Post
    As the unapologetic Phenix fanboy on this board, this seems like a place where I should give my thought! Haha

The Ultra MBX line of rods were incredible in their day, but haven't been refreshed in several years. The M1 and Feather series are actually better sticks at lower price points these days. If it were me, I'd suggest picking up the 7'1" MH Feather, and prepare yourself to be buying more. They're insanely good for their price point. Super light, well balanced, sensitive, the perfect tip, and so on. I fish braid to a 16 lb Sniper leader on one of mine as my primary light Texas rig rod which I'm almost always fishing in grass and it's absolutely perfect for that. The 1/4 oz range is really the sweet spot, but it won't have any issues with the 3/8 oz either. If you feel like you'll mostly be throwing 3/8 and may occasionally step up to 1/2, you might consider the heavy, though I think the MH is likely going to be the one you want for what you mention. If you go heavy, you're going to lose a little bit of the ability to bomb the 1/4 oz out there like you can with the MH.

The X-series composites Corey mentions are sweet too. Not something that would be good for this purpose, but I have a few of those and love them as well. So light for composite sticks, and they just perform so well for moving baits.
    Thank you for making me aware of this, I'd been interested in the feather rods in the past, but I never pulled the trigger. Never been a huge fan of two piece reel seats and the handle looks so dang long in the TW pictures. But maybe I will give them a shot, if not now then in the future.

I can't speak for their factory built rods but I have several UMBX customs including 7'7"H, 7'7"MH and a 7'ML and I love the blanks. The MH has a soft tip compared to a 3 power G Loomis but is just a great T-Rig/light jig rod. The Heavy action is a great 1/2-3/4oz jig rod and I also like throwing a swim jig with fluoro on a cut down 7'3"H. The ML is used mainly for shaky head fishing although I also throw a small 1/8-1/4oz swimbait with it. I'd say the sensitivity is better than a Loomis IMX, but both my IMX and Phenix blanks are older models that I'm comparing- in other words quite good sensitivity, probably better than my newer Kistler KLX.
    I really like my Phenix rods though. They're light, sensitive and have been very durable.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Klinger N Ok View Post
    I can't speak for their factory built rods but I have several UMBX customs including 7'7"H, 7'7"MH and a 7'ML and I love the blanks. The MH has a soft tip compared to a 3 power G Loomis but is just a great T-Rig/light jig rod. The Heavy action is a great 1/2-3/4oz jig rod and I also like throwing a swim jig with fluoro on a cut down 7'3"H. The ML is used mainly for shaky head fishing although I also throw a small 1/8-1/4oz swimbait with it. I'd say the sensitivity is better than a Loomis IMX, but both my IMX and Phenix blanks are older models that I'm comparing- in other words quite good sensitivity, probably better than my newer Kistler KLX.
    I really like my Phenix rods though. They're light, sensitive and have been very durable.
    I actually prefer a softer tip on my bottom contact rods so that sounds like a really good option for me. If the feather rods and new M1s fish better than the UMBX like the guy above mentioned, maybe I should go with one of those for the same tactic.

Any idea if the lighter power runs in those lower priced rods as well? I love the look of the new M1s, I'd probably go with the 7'2 MH if it has enough backbone and the soft tip. It seems like most of the Feather reviews say that they run a lot lighter, so I'm curious if the new M1 is those same case.

8. Member
    I'll disagree. The MBX is still above the new M1's and Feather rods. Even for as old as it is, it's still an excellent rod/blank. I'd rate them above the older IMX and just below older GLX's (mbr series).

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ogrich31 View Post
    I'll disagree. The MBX is still above the new M1's and Feather rods. Even for as old as it is, it's still an excellent rod/blank. I'd rate them above the older IMX and just below older GLX's (mbr series).
    I'm glad I've pretty much decided I can't let myself spent $300 on a rod because now I don't know what to think lol. I'm maxing out at around $200-$220, so I'm hoping to find a good black friday sale. Thinking about grabbing an Expride at $216, but I had wanted to try less mainstream companies like I said in my OP.

10. Member
    Look at St. Croix.

11. Member
    I personally love Phenix rods , I own nrx, glx,exprides , destroyers ,Powell, ALX, Arkand more but I do agree the Umbx are more sensitive then the m1 and feathers . Just something about all Phenix models that I just love . Love my umbx drop shot rod !!
    Shimano and Gloomis kick @ss, 17 Phoenix 919 225 Merc

12. Member
    If you decide to go with Phenix, get the H in whatever line you choose for what you're looking for. I've got a H Feather (FTX) that I built and it's a nice jig/trig blank. I'd never throw the rated max of 2oz on it though.

For comparison I've got a MH Ultra MBX that I built as a Great Lakes tube spinning rod at the recommendation from one of the guys at the Phenix factory. It's dead on what I wanted and have never thought the blank outpowered 8lb flouro. It'd probably be ok for what you want but I think the H would be better.

13. Member
    I have to agree the m1 and feather... even Recon elite are probably the superior line in today's day