Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I’ve got a MS2TN with a 35 series President taped to it.
    Great rod, no reason to change.
    One of my all time favorites was an old BPS Billy Westmoreland 6’6” rod with a TN handle. Sadly that rod met it’s end via a rod box lid.
    TN handle rods are becoming the where’s Waldo of spinning rods. I prefer them actually over a normal spinning reel seat.

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishfinger View Post
    I’ve got a Browning Lew’s Graphite TN handle spinning rod, SG Graphite Speed Stick, 10-17lb. Line weight 3/8-1oz lure weight. 6ft Rod. I never could figure out the best use for it. lol
    I've got the same rod. I wished I would have bought a 6'6" instead of the 6'.

3. Banned
    Have you found one technique that it really shines at? I’ve used it for plastics mostly.

4. Member
    I lost my last Tenn. Handle rod (American Rodsmith) out of a kayak. I guess I’m spoiled, most spinning rod handles I don’t care for. My favorites are the ones like the Daiwa BLX handles from TW, that style since I don’t have one of those exact rods.
    Tracker Panfish 16

Bonafide EX123 Kayak

5. Member
    TN handles make for a lighter rod. Nicer in cold weather. You could put the reel where you wanted. My hands are pretty beat up, they are more comfortable to hang onto than some of the newer spinning grips. Be nice to see a company come out with some retro rods with these handles.
    2019 Alumacraft 14.5 escape tiller "child support"
    2018 Ford fiesta "pistachio"
    1992 kawasaki zx11 "legend"

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Alumicraft145 View Post
    Be nice to see a company come out with some retro rods with these handles.
    I think these would qualify.

https://www.sliderfishing.com/produc...categoryId=119

7. Member
    TN handles make for a lighter rod. Nicer in cold weather. You could put the reel where you wanted. My hands are pretty beat up, they are more comfortable to hang onto than some of the newer spinning grips. Be nice to see a company come out with some retro rods with these handles.
    To me, holding a spinning rod with a reel seat and rings is like walking around with a rock in your shoe.....just not comfortable. I am glad I have enough TN handled rods still in the wrapper to outlive me.

8. Member
    I actually bought a 5 ft slider rod last year from brewer, nice little rod.

9. Member
    I actually bought a 5 ft slider rod last year from brewer; nice little rod.

10. Member
    I actually bought a 5 ft slider rod last year from brewer; nice little rod.
    Yes sir I’ve had quite a few over the years. A piece I did with Ned:

https://www.in-fisherman.com/editori...-update/156296

11. Member
    I built a couple 50 or so years ago with a maple handles. Found some dowel in a wood store. Drilled it out. Epoxied the blank in the handle. Tried drilling holes in the reel seat and screwing reel to the handle. Actually worked until it flexed enough to work the screws out. Tape worked then.

Now this is all fiberglass, before graphite blanks were reasonably available. If any of you are old enough to remember, I used a Fenwick 842 blank.

A friend of mine just loved that look and wanted both of them. Way cool rods, fancy wraps, fancy butt wraps, FoulProof guides. State of the art. Wish I had them to look at, now. I built a lot of crazy stuff then just to see how looked and how fished.

In 2021, you can buy better rods at Wal-Mart, but in early 1970's, was what we had.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hahn View Post
    I have an old original All Star Tennessee handle spinning rod. I don't use it much anymore but it was a good rod for many years. I also used to use electrical tape. But, it always got sticky. Now, I use 3M Temflex rubber splicing tape. It has a backing that peels off and it stretches so you can easily get it tight. And the best part is that it uses no adhesives...it only sticks to itself. No muss, no fuss, no mess!
    Jeff,
    I don't suppose you would want to sell your all star TN Handle Spinning Rod? PM Me if interested. Thanks Mark!

13. Member
    I use self volcanizing tape. It stretches and bonds to itself and doesn't get sticky. Still have several that don't get used anymore with Diawa and Cardinal reels on them.

14. Member
    When I put reels on my ice rods with Tennessee type handles, I use hockey tape to attach the reels. You do end up with a little sticky residue sometimes but I consider that a benefit for ice fishing, and if I am fishing outside I usually have some sort of thin glove on.

15. Member
    All of the custom spinning rods I have ever had, were cork Tenn with brass or graphite reel seat couplings. I also still have one factory made All Pro with a graphite pattern TN handle with no reel seat couplings.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassfly View Post
    I attach the reels with a few wraps of 3/4" fiber packing tape on each side of the reel foot, then finish of with the electrical tape, self-fusing tape or Winn wrap of your choice. The fiber tape really locks the reel down so that there's no flex in that connection.
    I've got one I use from time to time and this is exactly how I attach the reel.

17. Member
    I loved Tennessee handle rods, but despise the idea of having to use electrical tape to secure the reel. Kind of ghetto’ish to me. I think the modern way to do it is to use graphite rings. I typically build with Fuji VSS or Fuji IPS seats to get a similar feel.

18. Member
    Those old all star rods were/still are great rods for money. Have a few Tn handle spinning and few platinum/titanium casting.

19. Member
    Wife has ONE and the reel is taped on with red sports tape .
    Old Falcon

20. Member
    I have a Billy Westmoreland Model Browning spinning rod with the Tennessee Handle and still use it.

I have other rods that a rod builder has changed out the handles to the Tennessee Handle.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast