Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Any Tennessee handle fans out there??

Getting tackle winterized for storage. I got 5 old (early 90's) all star tenn handle spinning rods. All still very fishable, use them all the time. Was wondering if anybody else goes old school... I've always used black tape to hold the reels, anybody use anything else?? was thinking of sending a few out to get upgraded guides but don't wanna mess up a good thing. Still got the original daiwa whisker ss reels I got at the same time.
    2019 Alumacraft 14.5 escape tiller "child support"
    2018 Ford fiesta "pistachio"
    1992 kawasaki zx11 "legend"

I have an old original All Star Tennessee handle spinning rod. I don't use it much anymore but it was a good rod for many years. I also used to use electrical tape. But, it always got sticky. Now, I use 3M Temflex rubber splicing tape. It has a backing that peels off and it stretches so you can easily get it tight. And the best part is that it uses no adhesives...it only sticks to itself. No muss, no fuss, no mess!
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

3. Member
    Great tip! Thanks! I will give it a try. What model all star you got??

I've found that "off-brand" electrical tape works best for Tennessee handles. The high-end 3M, etc. gets sticky while the generic stuff works great. I've got an All-Star rod too, but my favorites are the old Lew's made in Japan.

Quote Originally Posted by Alumicraft145 View Post
    Great tip! Thanks! I will give it a try. What model all star you got??
    MS2TN is the model, I think...6’6” medium action.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

6. Member
    I got ms2tn im6 bought in 1992. Caught my last 3 bass this year on it. My buddy has these all star " spotted bass special" spinning rods. They were nice.

7. Member
    A little electrical tape then top off with a rod handle grip wrap or baseball bat grip tape.
    Phoenix 721 - Yamaha SHO 250 - 8' Blades

We have two or three customers who have us custom build using a TN Handle.

I have 5 SJR722 loomis, Tenn Handles, special order from loomis, which they no longer do. I use wide 3m electric tape. Not much problem with stickyness, change each year. Tried tommy tape, too thick for my liking.

Hey, this is one of those times where the ice fishing knowledge comes in handy! I think this is similar to what Jeff Hahn mentions if not exactly the same thing, but it turns out that the stuff is pretty widely available. You want to find some self fusing tape to attach your reel and forget the sticky residue for ever more. It looks like electrical tape, but it only sticks to itself, so it's basically made for what you're wanting to use it for. It's next to the duct tape in the big box hardware stores around here. I don't think there are Menards in your neck of the woods, but here's an example: https://www.menards.com/main/paint/a...1712664&ipos=1

There are even options for colors if you're willing to pay a bit more: https://shop.clamoutdoors.com/clam-p...reel-tape.html

Guys on ice rods also use what amount to repurposed castration bands that are used in the ag industry. They'd be tough to put into place on an open water rod with a long handle though, and they're so tight that they leave divots in your handles otherwise.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360

11. Member
    I attach the reels with a few wraps of 3/4" fiber packing tape on each side of the reel foot, then finish of with the electrical tape, self-fusing tape or Winn wrap of your choice. The fiber tape really locks the reel down so that there's no flex in that connection.

12. Member
    Got home from work last night, grabbed a beer, got out one of my most valuable rods, Tenn handle all star tx40 6-6 med action. Been using this for drop shot. Very fast tip. It's got some serious backbone though, I may take it off drop shot and move it up to tube, worm rod. just got a few daiwa emblem reels from ebay, got a lot of things to swap around now. Bought the rod new in 1997 I think.
    Great tips on taping reels. I remember seeing Jimmy Houston using a tenn handle for way back in the 70s I think. I bought a skyline graphite rod soon after. High school?? 78?

Quote Originally Posted by Alumicraft145 View Post
    Got home from work last night, grabbed a beer, got out one of my most valuable rods, Tenn handle all star tx40 6-6 med action. Been using this for drop shot. Very fast tip. It's got some serious backbone though, I may take it off drop shot and move it up to tube, worm rod. just got a few daiwa emblem reels from ebay, got a lot of things to swap around now. Bought the rod new in 1997 I think.
    Great tips on taping reels. I remember seeing Jimmy Houston using a tenn handle for way back in the 70s I think. I bought a skyline graphite rod soon after. High school?? 78?
    Had a couple skyline, casting rods!

14. Member
    I'm a Tennessee Handle guy grew up using them, they're so hard to find anymore I buy any I can find.
    2002 Triton Tr-21 Merc 250 Pro XB OT430582

Quote Originally Posted by Rlueb View Post
    I'm a Tennessee Handle guy grew up using them, they're so hard to find anymore I buy any I can find.
    Pretty much a custom deal now, The last one I bought was a Shimano Curcial for a commercial rod.

16. Member
    I have three MS2TN All Stars 6’6” medium action, been using them since I bought them in the 90's I have not reason to change. I have Plueger Presidents taped on the handles with black electrical tape. Yes, it does get sticky. I've keep thinking about buying some other rod tape , but never think of it when I'm making an order. I use 2 other spinning rods a 7' foot Enigma that doesn't get much use and a Bass Pro Extreme that gets a lot of use. I also carry an assortment of bait caster. I was looking Bass pro catalog and I don't see the Extreme rods any longer. Did I not look hard enough?

17. Member
    have a browning boron got in the 80s

18. Member
    I wanted one of those borons bigtime!!

19. Banned
    I’ve got a Browning Lew’s Graphite TN handle spinning rod, SG Graphite Speed Stick, 10-17lb. Line weight 3/8-1oz lure weight. 6ft Rod. I never could figure out the best use for it. lol

20. Member
    I own about 25 Falcon Lowriders with TN Handles......all I use.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast