Ultrex to battery question

My 2000 Javelin still has the original TM cables to the battery as well as the 3 prong twist lock plug. I've been told that The Ultrex is burning up those 3 prong twist lock plugs. Is this often experienced? I currently am running a 24V 80lb maxxum. The Ultrex is a 24V 80lb as well. Does the Ultrex draw more than my old Maxxum Pro?
    2000 Javelin Renegade 20 DC.
    Strong men create easy times, Easy times create weak men & weak men create hard times. Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum
    In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"
    In 2021 18-40 year old's want to and work to cancel you out if you have a different opinion.

2. Member
    I have a champ 181 and put a ultrex in place of the original 12/24 mtr guide that was on it before hand. It too used the 3 bladed twist plug. I am using the wire that was there 8 gauge and removed one from the back of the plug. And put a breaker rated for 60 amps at the battery on the positive leg as called for. I have used it since Jan of 2017 and I have had zero problems on my set up. I think I’ve heard that the ultrex can draw as many as 50 amps when turned all the way up for extended periods of time. Mine has never flipped the breaker or over heated the plug. The plug is a Marine co that says 30 amp on it. Hope this helps ya

3. Member
    My boat has a 80lb Fortrex on it with a 3 prong Marinco plug and 50 amp breaker. Been like that for 3 years with no issues. Just bought an Ultrex, but haven't installed it yet. I plan to keep the plug, but swap the breaker for a 60 amp. I rarely, if ever, run my trolling motor on high.

4. Member
    If you are a hard user of your troll motor then I recommend you upgrade the plug to a 60 amp battery tender or a 60 amp Marinco plug. The older plugs are rated for 30 amps. It is written on the male plug. Some may get by with the older plug, but eventually it will give you trouble. I have seen it many times.

5. Member
    Another option would be to hardwire it at the bow and add the breaker with the combined shut off (Blue Seas) at the battery
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

6. Member
    Hey thanks bradrodfish, just to eliminate any future issues, I will change mine out to a 60 amp plug. I think I use mine turned up quite a lot and as I posted, no problems over 3 yrs. consider me lucky not good ��