Thread: Torn meniscus

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Had 2 tears in my left knee. Was playing basketball with my kids when i heard a pop, and had instant pain. I waited like 6 months before i went to the Dr. After an MRI he confirmed that there were 2 separate tears. Had surgery last November and a year later i am about 95% better. Some days are better than others. If i would tear another i would not hesitate to go earlier. The pain was causing arthritis in my knee. Definitely do the physical therapy to a T. Helped with recovery.
    2008 Ranger 178VX
    150 Yamaha V-max

GO Fins!!!

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by billius View Post
    I've had torn meniscus on both knees. The left knee twice. All three times I had arthroscopic surgery. Two of the surgeries worked out fine. My left knee is still not what it should be however. Recovery time seems to vary depending on who does the surgery and how bad the tear is. When I had the last surgery, about 3 years ago, I walked out to the car without crutches. The first two, I was on crutches for about 2-3 weeks. Good luck to you.
    Damn, I could have written this almost exactly.

By the time I got in to have the MRI, my knee was fine, but I went in anyway. I walked in without a limp, and walked out of the MRI with a severe limp. It felt like my kneecap was fluttering during the MRI. I had the surgery and it got better, but still isn't great, due to arthritis. That's my right knee. My left one is fine, but back when I was driving a truck with a 6 speed, it was very painful to push the clutch down.

I've been told that when you tear the Meniscus, they just trim the tear a bit and it really isn't healed at all. I'd sure as hell ask about that, because I'd want it fixed and not just messed with.
    Don't bother me, I'm screwing for virginity.

I killed a 12-pack just to watch it die.

4. Member
    Twice on my right knee, the first time i was off about 10 days, the second time i was off for 6 weeks and that was the fault of W.C. not letting me get my surgery when the Dr plainly said it had to happen. They made me take therapy for about 10 days, on the 11th day i just dropped to the ground, wife took me to ER. The next week i had my second arthroscopic on my left knee. The second was from a accident at work on some ice.

5. Moderator
    Just had my right knee done about 2 months ago. Crutches for 3 days and walking soon after. No pain at all now.

6. triton
    I had three surgeries on both knees results were OK but I ended up replacing both knees two years ago...Right
    knee is fine but left knee still gives me pain, worst part of knee replacement for me is kneeling down on both
    while tying baits on and getting in and out of the boat...

CARL MAYER
    SKEETER FX20 2016
    BARRYVILLE NY 12719

2023 FORD RAPTOR

7. Member
    Twice in both knee's doing pretty good most of the time.

8. Member
    Tore my left one and went to dr. he said he could operate on it. That was 6 years ago.No surgery and just took it easy on it. Gets a little sore if i push it.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by getfished View Post
    Not trying to argue as I'm sure the physicians have their skill in evaluating each situation. Blood flow IMO doesn't prevent stitching a meniscus back together . It may not "grow" together but will be permanently held in place by the sutures. But since I'm not a doctor I certainly am nowhere close to having an expert opinion on this matter. I just think too many clip and snip because it is easier and quicker. Who knows, maybe insurance companies put pressure on docs to do this.

After all is said and done the patient is the one left with the long term results after the doc and insurance company have went on their way.

Just FYI my case was surgically repaired after several years later and being reinjured several times over those years before the repair. My surgeon told me all the meniscus in that knee was ripped in several locations. He stitched it all back together and rebuilt my ACL with a strip of my patella tendon. The surgery took 10.5 hours.
    Stitching the meniscus in an area it can’t heal will just eventually fall apart. 100 percent of the time.

Like I said, you got lucky. A - you survived a 10 hour surgery that takes most surgeons less than two hours. And B - you had a meniscus that either healed, or is shredded and you don’t know it yet. My guess is the latter. That’s pretty common.

10. Member
    I have been without the inner meniscus since 96. My ACL tore and in the process blew the meniscus completely out of the joint. Surgeon at the time decided that it would be fine to leave out. My only issue is coming down stairs.
    2023 Triton 18TRX
    2023 Mercury 200 Pro XS
    80# Ultrex IPilot Link
    Helix 12 Mega SI & Garmin Livescope w/ 1242XSV GPSmap

11. Member
    I had my right meniscus repaired after a motorcycle accident. Lateral tear. General anesthetic. Took all of twenty minutes. I was walking on it that day. Almost no pain. Eight years later I have no lasting effects.

12. Scraps
    Right done three years ago. I was on crutches for two days. Best advice is to do all of the PT after that they want you to do. I didn't do all of mine cuzz I thought some of the stuff wasn't challenging enough. I still don't have all of my mobility back and can't bend as deep as I used to, but all normal otherwise. I was 52 when I did that.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12