USA New Merc 250 Pro XS - Analog Trim Gauge Adjustment

New Falcon with Merc 250 Pro XS. Made it through break-in and now starting to trim. Noticed entire span of trim only moves the analog gauge to roughly 1/4. It also appears to not move for the first couple of seconds of trimming up. Appears that both down position and gain (overall gauge movement) needs adjustment. On older two strokes, I knew how to rotate the trim sender to my liking, but not familiar with the new motor. Is this something I can do?

Suggestions would be appreciated.

I have no idea if my experience applies to your question but here goes. My 2020 Ranger came with a PSI gauge and not the trim gauge they advertised. Ranger sent me an analog Faria trim gauge that matched the others. When my dealer tried to install, they said it won't work because the Mercury 150 Pro xs sends a digital trim signal and I needed an adapter. I think they said it would register but it was not accurate and they couldn't adjust it in any way.

Could it be the same on your rig?
    2020 Ranger VS1782 DC
    Mercury ProXS 150
    Garmin 106 Ultra/UHD 93sv
    Ulterra Quest, 115/90

3. Member
    Could be. I have a NMEA smartcraft interface ordered to link with my birds, but I hate to have any gauge that doesn't work. Especially on a new boat.

Quote Originally Posted by cdnewman View Post
    Could be. I have a NMEA smartcraft interface ordered to link with my birds, but I hate to have any gauge that doesn't work. Especially on a new boat.
    What interface are you buying? If it has a plug for Systemlink gauges, you can plug in a Systemlink trim gauge, calibrate it and you will have an “analog” looking gauge but uses adigital signal.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

5. Member
    They told me I had to get a Mercury system ink gauge for digital trim . My analog will barely move 1/8 of gauge.
    2010 Xpress X21TS. 250 proXS
    2015 1860 grizzly. 40 Merc 4s

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    If you would, please take a moment to review the Announcements at the top of the Forum, and be sure to provide the Required Info (serial number) when posting. Thanks!

Your engine has BOTH Digital and Analog outputs. That being said- only the DIGITAL can be "calibrated" (there is no "adjustment" available for the Analog output).

On Mercury CMS (Conventional MidSection) engines, the Analog Trim traditionally moves to "approximately 1/4 on the gauge" at the end of the short trim rams (the maximum trim position).

Utilizing a Smartcraft Instrument and perhaps a System Link Gauge would definitely be the best way to overcome this.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

7. Member
    That's the information I was looking for. Like I said, the boat is brand new, and I'm having a NMEA link added so I can see engine data on my Solix units. That should allow me to see a calibrated version of the trim data. Appreciate it!!

Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    If you would, please take a moment to review the Announcements at the top of the Forum, and be sure to provide the Required Info (serial number) when posting. Thanks!

Your engine has BOTH Digital and Analog outputs. That being said- only the DIGITAL can be "calibrated" (there is no "adjustment" available for the Analog output).

On Mercury CMS (Conventional MidSection) engines, the Analog Trim traditionally moves to "approximately 1/4 on the gauge" at the end of the short trim rams (the maximum trim position).

Utilizing a Smartcraft Instrument and perhaps a System Link Gauge would definitely be the best way to overcome this.

8. Member
    Thanks for the info everyone!!

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    That's the information I was looking for. Like I said, the boat is brand new, and I'm having a NMEA link added so I can see engine data on my Solix units. That should allow me to see a calibrated version of the trim data. Appreciate it!!
    It will be "raw" data (can't be calibrated without a Smartcraft Instrument).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

10. Member
    I'm going to assume that the Humminbird units won't be able to interpret the raw data. Or scale it?

11. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    I'm going to assume that the Humminbird units won't be able to interpret the raw data. Or scale it?
    That question exceeds my area of expertise, as I am unfamiliar with the various features of Humminbird units.

12. Member