Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    Here's what has always puzzled me about EVs in my area...who pays for those "free" charging stations around town?
    2016 Nitro Z21
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Hoot View Post
    I'm getting a real Charge out of this thread it is certainly generating a lot of buzz as 7 Pages of Current Electrically Powered commentary is more than Big Bad Azz Fossil Fuel Guzzling Trucks with Lift Kits got.

Plus there is a lot of knowledgeable commentary from Electricians and Engineers that will keep you from getting Short Circuited or Con-Fused just hope nobody get's Overloaded so a Surge trips a Breaker on this Thread that gets the whole Grid shut down or someone that's Wired way too tight gets their drawers in such a predicament there is a Major Brownout.

So keep it civil and lets have no one get the Power to their Account turned off because they were guilty of threatened Battery now keep your Posts clean so you can easily Start more comments and don't need to call the BBC Service Dept for a Jump Start.
    NICE!
    Mike Wright '07 Ranger 520vx
    Henrico Va./Henrico NC.

3. Member
    I never thought the EV's would make it, now I'm not so sure.

More and More People are choosing to live in Apartment and Townhouse Complexes where they can Walk to everything. Shopping, Bars, Restaurants. Think I'm crazy? Watch a few of those House Hunters Shows and learn yourself something.

While I don't believe they will ever become the Main Vehicle for most of Rural America, for those one the edges of cities and those within cities they could be the very answer they are looking for.

Tesla is the most well known, but not the first or only.

Mitsubishi has been making an EV for years now that gets an average of 150-200 miles per charge. Lots of others do as well.
    Electric Motorcycles are becoming more of a thing. Harley has their Livewire and Zero has been making them for decades.

All the Wawa's near me now are being built with Charging Stations. Last weekend I drove through Daytona Beach on ISB and the Super Target has a long line of Charging Stations at it now.

Unlike Gas, ANYONE can set up a Electric Charging Station, and I'd bet you'll start to see more and more at locations like Targets and Walmarts and Sam's and Costcos.

Do I think they will take over? No I don't. Do I think they will become more of a Mainstay? Yes I do.

Oh and for what's it worth, all along I-10 in Florida they are building HUGE Solar Fields. Lots of former Farm Lands are being Bought or Least by the Electric Companies to Build these Fields. I am starting to see more and more of them being built to meet the new demand for electric, EV's included.

I read an article last week about how Cummins is investing huge amounts on development and infrastructure to support Hydrogen electric vehicle tech, specifically for heavier lifting types of transport such as semi-trucks and trains.

I find it interesting that one of the largest diesel engine manufacturers finds it economically worthy of developing this tech. Must be something to it...

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gsmith223 View Post
    The math hasnt worked for petroleum for decades but we still coddle the oil companies. We spend more tax money propping up big oil than we do for national defense. Then we also give them tax breaks on top of that.
    This has nothing to do with my point about the consumer making the decision on what to buy that makes the best financial sense for them. You want to sell me an EV, make it make sense. I don’t care about anything else.
    Brandon
    1996 Ranger 362XT
    Johnson Faststrike 150

6. Member
    I would rather have a gas or diesel engine with no emissions controls.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassfisher444 View Post
    I would rather have a gas or diesel engine with no emissions controls.
    Why?

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bschwoep View Post
    This has nothing to do with my point about the consumer making the decision on what to buy that makes the best financial sense for them. You want to sell me an EV, make it make sense. I don’t care about anything else.
    It will make a lot of sense if we quit giving the fossil fuel industry huge subsides. World wide subsidies for fossil fuels is in the billions if not trillions each year. Those are direct subsides, aka the government takes your tax money directly from your wallet and gives it to them to keep gas artificially low. Without this gas would be $10 a gallon and we would have been using alternatives fuels long ago. It called corporate welfare. According to the oil lobbyist the American tax payers should feel good about the largest portion of the tax pie going to oil companies.

9. Stocks/Investments Moderator boneil's Avatar
    Clearly GM needs to talk to some of you guys. They plan to be all electric in the coming years. But what do they know? you guys crack me up. https://www.gm.com/electric-vehicles.html

Whats really funny is that GM and is about 5+ years behind Tesla with battery tech
    Thanos was the hero

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Maddog10 View Post
    Why?
    That's what I like.

11. Member
    It will make a lot of sense if we quit giving the fossil fuel industry huge subsides. World wide subsidies for fossil fuels is in the billions if not trillions each year. Those are direct subsides, aka the government takes your tax money directly from your wallet and gives it to them to keep gas artificially low. Without this gas would be $10 a gallon and we would have been using alternatives fuels long ago. It called corporate welfare. According to the oil lobbyist the American tax payers should feel good about the largest portion of the tax pie going to oil companies.
    How many subsidy dollars go into electric vehicles? The government makes more off gas tax than the oil companies do. IMO all the government does is redistribute money. That goes for about all big industries here. The oil companies pay what ever taxes owed. The people that make the tax laws are in D.C., some of them have been there for 40 and 50 years. IMO thats who should be taking the heat for "corporate welfare". They are also the ones giving "tax subsidies" or "corporate welfare" to electric vehicle companies.

We have a corporate tax lawyer friend that teaches at the local university. She tells me that she is always amazed at how many accounting students want to argue that their job is to ensure the client pays the absolute least in taxes owed. If they don't want to get their clients the absolute lowest tax rate someone else will. The IRS enforces the laws passed in D.C. If oil companies get preferred treatment why blame them instead of greedy politicians?

BTW: I thought fuel was traded and priced according to the futures market? I don't have a choice in what I pay for electricity, there is one provider here, TVA.

12. Member
    That's what I like.
    Good enough answer for me... Would you be open to owning an electric vehicle if the performance and price were superior to that of a combustion vehicle?

I find these discussions interesting because it’s a hurdle that I think Tesla and GM and other EV manufacturers are going to face the next 10 years. Creating a better product is half the battle. The other half is convincing people to try it.

13. Member
    Here is incentive to buy one.

https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/taxevb.shtml

Just look at all that "corporate welfare".

I was in the boat with a buddy that works for this company. They laid off all kinds of people over the last few months. My buddy says he will be out of a job in 12 months or less.

https://www.china-certification.com/...nvision-group/

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by n2ratfishin View Post
    Here is incentive to buy one.

https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/taxevb.shtml

Just look at all that "corporate welfare".

I was in the boat with a buddy that works for this company. They laid off all kinds of people over the last few months. My buddy says he will be out of a job in 12 months or less.

https://www.china-certification.com/...nvision-group/

Good try but those are tax credits for individuals to buy EV vehicles that lasted a few years. Not even close to the direct subsides we pay fuel companies. It like a drop of rain in the ocean. People have a hard time accepting that the gaverment taxes them, then directly turns that money over to rich oil companies who pay little to no taxes.

The petro industry has been killing off EV tech for decades. While taking our money and keeping prices artificially inflated. There is a documentary out there that explains how they did it. It was all greed and $$$$
    https://cleantechnica.com/2019/01/06...ric-car-again/
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0489037/

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Maddog10 View Post
    Good enough answer for me... Would you be open to owning an electric vehicle if the performance and price were superior to that of a combustion vehicle?

I find these discussions interesting because it’s a hurdle that I think Tesla and GM and other EV manufacturers are going to face the next 10 years. Creating a better product is half the battle. The other half is convincing people to try it.
    Short answer no. Long answer possibly if they make one that can tow 10-15K 1,000 miles in a day on a single charge, with batteries that last 20-25 years without needing replaced, that are reliable enough to where you can buy a 10-15 year old used one for a decent price and still have over 10 years of life left in them, and fossil fuels are no longer readily obtainable.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
    Not at all. Perfect commuter car.
    You may want to read this then. https://www.foxbusiness.com/lifestyl...e-to-fire-risk

18. Member
    Short answer no. Long answer possibly if they make one that can tow 10-15K 1,000 miles in a day on a single charge, with batteries that last 20-25 years without needing replaced, that are reliable enough to where you can buy a 10-15 year old used one for a decent price and still have over 10 years of life left in them, and fossil fuels are no longer readily obtainable.
    Does it need to rub your feet too and make you coffee LMAO. You cant even get a internal combustion to do any of those things and we have been building them for near a century now.

19. Member
    Does it need to rub your feet too and make you coffee LMAO. You cant even get a internal combustion to do any of those things and we have been building them for near a century now.
    Mine does all of that just fine, and if we didn't have EPA standards to worry about they could easily be made to last longer than that.
    Last edited by bassfisher444; 11-23-2020 at 10:59 AM.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yatesville88fan View Post
    I will see your 50k and raise you 6 million. Its GM man they recall everything.
    https://www.foxbusiness.com/lifestyl...kata-inflators

Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast