Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast
    idbefishing

For those that still don’t think electric vehicles are not the future

Everyone already knows Tesla is the largest car company in the world. Bigger than the big 3 American companies and Toyota combined. You can say they’re also a batteries company not just cars and I’ll agree but EV is a large part of their business. NIO is pretty much a brand new company and it is now worth more than BMW. GM planned to have a bunch of models by 2025 and is spending more on R&D for EV then gas vehicles. VW planned to electrify their entire lineup. Our beloved pickup trucks are getting batteries and electric motors in them. Freemont, CA PD have trialed an EV program and is going to buy more Tesla to use as patrol vehicles.

2. Member
    I have a buddy that made a mint on NIO this year. He described it as the Chinese version of Tesla.

Waiting to see their tractor that will pull a 20 ft chisel plow. Better yet power a combine....
    Sacred Heart of Mary, pray for us now, and at the hour of our death. AMEN
    O blood and water which gush forth from the heart of Jesus, have mercy on us
    For the sake of his sorrowful Passion, have mercy on us and the whole world

4. Banned
    Future meaning what? When? All vehicles on the road being only battery operated? Probably never.
    Don't leave out Hydrogen.
    Fossil fueled vehicles aren't going anywhere for atleast the next 25 years and probably won’t ever go away completely.
    Battery powered Airplanes now that would be impressive. Electric cars have been around since the early 1900s.
    Last edited by pa.X19; 11-22-2020 at 08:37 AM.

Have you seen what it takes to mine lithium? Wait till the new deal people see lol.
    2019 BassCat Lynx 2019 250 Pro XS 4 Stroke - 2B573410
    "Reality Is Often Disappointing."

6. Member
    They should all have to charge with solar

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ckfishin View Post
    Have you seen what it takes to mine lithium? Wait till the new deal people see lol.
    Where it is mined they are using coal and oil to produce the lithium products. Our buddies in China own a lot of that business.
    Another big question is how is California going to support all the cars plugged in at night, they can't keep the lights on without rolling blackouts now. It may be coming but it may be a lot farther away than some would like.

8. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by drifter106 View Post
    Waiting to see their tractor that will pull a 20 ft chisel plow. Better yet power a combine....
    That would be easy to do. Probably even a better choice than a Diesel for those applications as far as power. The combine would gain all kinds of advantages since the wiring to the internal drives would be easier than hydraulics.

But it would take a long time to get a field plowed or harvested stopping every 15 minutes to charge the batteries.

I’m surprised though that Diesel-Electric isn’t a thing yet on some kinds of ag equipment. 4 independent wheel motors would drive it with minimal slip, and a fixed RPM Diesel would be a big efficiency jump.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

Quote Originally Posted by jcdogfish View Post
    Where it is mined they are using coal and oil to produce the lithium products. Our buddies in China own a lot of that business.
    Another big question is how is California going to support all the cars plugged in at night, they can't keep the lights on without rolling blackouts now. It may be coming but it may be a lot farther away than some would like.
    It's mined in Nevada.....

There is also an extreme amount of water used per ton of lithium
    2019 BassCat Lynx 2019 250 Pro XS 4 Stroke - 2B573410
    "Reality Is Often Disappointing."

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by idbefishing View Post
    Everyone already knows Tesla is the largest car company in the world. Bigger than the big 3 American companies and Toyota combined. You can say they’re also a batteries company not just cars and I’ll agree but EV is a large part of their business. NIO is pretty much a brand new company and it is now worth more than BMW. GM planned to have a bunch of models by 2025 and is spending more on R&D for EV then gas vehicles. VW planned to electrify their entire lineup. Our beloved pickup trucks are getting batteries and electric motors in them. Freemont, CA PD have trialed an EV program and is going to buy more Tesla to use as patrol vehicles.
    Puff puff pass.... Put down the kool aid... Tesla sells between 1/3 and 1/2 the total number of cars that ford made just f150's. I don't think tesla is outproducing anyone right now. They have gained huge market share on the luxury car market which especially BMW has taken a beating from as well. I also see you reference another car company and say they are worth more than GM... I think your kidding yourself, those stocks are being bought mostly on speculation. Tesla will survive because at this point they've created a market and they could sell batteries, motors, roofs etc even if they stopped selling ev's. I'm not sure there stock isn't overvalued even now that it's clear they'll survive which wasn't so clear even a couple years ago. They may grow into there stock but as of today they are an overpriced stock based on most traditional measures of value.

11. Member
    The Greenies and Environmentalists will clash...or maybe they will just turn a blind eye....nothing to see here...move along.

12. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by idbefishing View Post
    Freemont, CA PD have trialed an EV program and is going to buy more Tesla to use as patrol vehicles.
    I could upfit two Ford Interceptor Utility's (with money to spare) for the price of one upfitted Tesla. The EV patrol car just isn't there yet.

13. Banned

14. Member
    Be ready for the inevitable new taxes to compensate for lost gas tax revenue as ev cars become more of a factor.

15. Member
    I agree gas taxes will have to climb as more on on the road. Our electrical infrastructure will need updated as well. That is f going to be cheap and will be passed along.

Oh c’mon—- those people in the Lithium producing countries like Bolivia and Argentina don’t need water to survive. ( sarcasm)

As far as road ( fuel) tax—— wait until you see what shipping rates will be.

17. Member
    hydrogen will rise to the top - many companies are trying to perfect making hydrogen without releasing co2 in the process. once they can scale and package hydrogen production nothing else will be able to compete. The CO2 shortage caused by the pandemic has put a lot more energy into getting this done. I work in the bulk and packaged gas world a lot of unseen consequences come from not making alcohol for gasoline when there is no demand.
    2020 Ranger Z519 | 2020 Mercury Pro XS 225 4S | Helix 10SI | Helix 10 MDI G3N | Helix 10 MDI G3N | Noco GENIUS 10X4
    Fury 3 22P True Pitched | Power Pole Pro 2's | Ghost TM | Mega 360 | MEGA LIVE | Atlas 8in Jack Plate | Trick Step | 3X Amped 80ah Lithiums

18. Member
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

19. Member
    Although I admire the OP for stirring the pot, there's serious misinformation within, which discredits him/her. That and living in Indiana, that hotbed of technology

Change is inevtiable. No question American auto manufacturers were and still are asleep at the wheel (as usual), probably because they're in bed with petroleum dollars. Hate on Elon Musk all you want but the guy thinks outside the box and pushes the envelope. He is just one man, who built his car company in less time than most give him credit for in this day and age. Does he get stuff wrong? Of course, that's how research is done and progress is made. Look at Ford and the aforementioned F-150. Take those sales away and Ford's dead - mostly because they decided to kill making and selling more affordable sedans. What if Uncle Sam hadn't bailed out GM? Detroit is stuck in the past and unless they clean house, wipe their engineering/marketing depts clean and get some new ideas, will you vote to bail them out again? GM is resurrecting the Hummer for pete's sake, I don't care if it is an EV. For all the dollars they have, they should be light years ahead of the world in terms of making and selling affordable electric vehicles. As well as cutting edge battery technology.

Bet all the guys posting about never giving up their 2- and 4-strokes or their tow rigs have no problem embracing new technology on their boat and in the home. Why so close-minded when it comes to electric trucks and bass boat power? I get that the big three employ more people in this country than most realize so there's no way they'll bad mouth the hand that feeds them. But, like it or not, alternative-fueled vehicles are going to be standard issue, just like spot lock and power poles, lol. How many people actually drive more than 100 miles round trip to work and back? Now with COVID folks working from home that's going to be even less in the near future. Sure, there's a big question as to how to provide the electricity but you can sure tell who the life pessimists are by their responses, i.e. "it'll never happen", "not humanly possible", etc, etc. All it takes is for the general public to embrace electric cars - that and the US auto companies to completely change their course. That's where I myself become a pessimist and say "that's never gonna happen"

20. Member
    I don't under stand the big talk about electric cars. Maybe people who bring the subject up don't know much about them or history. Electric cars or let's say vechicles start around 1830 and lasted to around 1920 when they declined in use. So they have been around pretty long. They would still be popular if it wasn't for economics. The internal combustion engine made things cheaper and where better.

So if electric cars become cheaper and better the natural process will go back to electric. Pretty simple. Affordability and reliability trumps everything.

Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast