USA Issues with 99 optimax

Hey all, I recently purchased a ranger 518vx, it has a 99 <Mercury> optimax 200 on it. When I bought it the guy said it needed a new throttle control switch and that sometimes you have to turn it on and off to get it to to go in gear and run. Well he was def right and took it out today and it ran well but it def had some issues. He said he was previously running a four blade mercury prop can’t remmeber the name or pitch and he had gotten it to 72. It now has a 25p 3 blade tempest and it’s not in perfect condition but it’s not bad. Well today I couldn’t get it over 4800-5000 Rpms and it wouldn’t get over mid to high 50s. Does anyone know a good mercury mechanic witching an hour of Atlanta Georgia? Anyone else have a reccomendation on what the issue could be? I love the way it rides snd the way the boat fishes but in the spring I gotta decide if I wanna keep my old 18ft bumblebee w a reliable hpdi, or hold onto the ranger and completely refurbish and load it up. Any input would be greatly appreciated!! Mitchell
    Last edited by EuropeanAM; 11-23-2020 at 05:35 PM. Reason: Brand Correction

2. Member
    What color is your "Yamaha Optimax"?

3. Member
    Please post engine serial number as requested in the Announcement at top of forum so the pros can ID what engine you really have.

PLEASE READ Before Posting
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

First of all, please post the serial number of the motor as that will determine exactly which motor you have. The experts will weigh in.

If it truly is a MERCURY Optimax, then THE BEST mechanic in the area is Don Weed at European Marine in Greenville SC. It is a bit farther than an hour but well worth the extra time on the road. I once had a 99 Optimax that I took to two different mechanics around Atlanta. Neither one could figure out the issue and wanted to just throw parts at it. I decided to take the drive to Don based on the recommendations here. Don called me on the way home with the diagnosis and the parts required to fix it. I picked it up a couple of days later and it was finally fixed!

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 06 SB View Post
    If it truly is a MERCURY Optimax, then THE BEST mechanic in the area is Don Weed at European Marine in Greenville SC.
    +100!
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Sounds like the shifting problem is related to the shift POSITION switch inside the engine cowling.

Let's see what you come up with on the Serial Number, and go from there.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

7. Member
    If the BumbleBee has a good HPDI on it, and you like the Ranger, why don't you swap the motors? I actually did the same thing you have. I had (still have) a 93 Skeeter with a 200 Yam on it, and then bought a 99 Ranger 518 w/ a 200 Opti from a friend of mine. He had let it go, and when I bought it, he had not cranked it in 3 years. I knew it would need some work, and had a figure in my head of how much money I'd invest in the motor before taking my Yamaha off the Skeeter and sticking it on there. Luckily for me, I was able to get the motor up and running fairly easily, and (knock on wood) have not had any issues out of it. It actually runs well compared to what I read on this forum about Opti's, and like the layout/fishability of the Ranger much better than my Skeeter.

8. Member
    I belive the serial number is 1200473VE, the sticker w the serial number is scratched off on the motor but on the ecm I belive it shows the year and make and evrything, I know for sure it is a 99 optiimax 200, and reason I can’t put on the Yamaha I have is it is a 150 on my bumblebee and I don’t wanna be running 55 down the lake 247 LOL

9. Member
    Serial number would be formatted digit, letter, 6 digits, for example, 1B234567. There may or may not be a welch plug on powerhead stamped with serial number.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax