11/20/20 fish report.

So I had the day off work and went fishing. I have a family thanksgiving Saturday and busy Sunday so it worked out great. With the lakes down so low and some of the docks out already and knowing I might not get a bite I just went to Anita (close drive and I know that place really good and the docks still in :-) .. I got there 6:30am as I started driving out I noticed a lot of pan fish on the graft and sharking on the Surface of the water. I couldn’t resist and got the ultralight rod out and quickly caught 10-12 crappie, only problem was they were only 6” and not worth keeping to me. After that 30 minutes I moved in front of the campground area but closer to the ramp this time to start. I started with a blade bait working it on the bottom slowly. I could still see small fish surfacing on the top of the water. That was weird to me at this time of year. Made me think there was a bass under there pushing them but this is mid-November water temp is 46.3* bass down move that much right?? Anyway fired the 110 j-bait in there jerk/jerk wait about 10sec and about get rod pulled out of my hand. Nice 3lb. Few casts later another 2 1/2lb I decided to try a zoom fluke on a weighted hook, probably 1/8oz I’m guessing. I worked it just like the jerkbait, got 2 nice keeps doing that to. Tried the jig and no bites. About 9ish the bite just quite . I made a few move trying more structure spots, road beds, steep drops, flats ect and I never got a bite the Rest of the day. Not what I was thinking lots of time the bite is better later morning early afternoon not the case for me yesterday. I left about 2:30.
    I’m hoping to get out twice over the thanksgiving holiday next weekend also hoping to get to a different lake then Anita I love that place but it gets old sometime. On the other hand driving over a hour only to get zeroed is rough, never know this later in the year how it will go.

Very nice! I was hoping to get to Anita today but the wife has something going on.

4. Member
    Hell yea!

5. Member
    11/22/20. I made it out after church for about 2hr to a small public lake and fished from the bank. Zero bites. I was mainly fishing the deeper spots with a jerkbait and the wind blown bank with a blade bait and small tub. I had no confidence in what I was doing so got tiered fast. Glad it only takes 10min to get to this place from my house. As I type this from the couch with the football game on and a fire in the wood stove I’m realizing that after the thanksgiving weekend I might put the boat away for the year:-( just getting to be a grind and the chances of a big fish slim. How many of you guys have caught big bass this late in the year in Iowa?$

6. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Redog View Post
    11/22/20. I made it out after church for about 2hr to a small public lake and fished from the bank. Zero bites. I was mainly fishing the deeper spots with a jerkbait and the wind blown bank with a blade bait and small tub. I had no confidence in what I was doing so got tiered fast. Glad it only takes 10min to get to this place from my house. As I type this from the couch with the football game on and a fire in the wood stove I’m realizing that after the thanksgiving weekend I might put the boat away for the year:-( just getting to be a grind and the chances of a big fish slim. How many of you guys have caught big bass this late in the year in Iowa?$
    It's one of the best times of the year for big bass! Yes, your amount of bites will go down but there is a good chance it'll be a nice one. Stick with a jig and a jerkbait fished painfully slow around hard cover and channel swings.

The hardest part of fishing this time of year is dealing with the weather. Any amount of wind makes it pretty miserable when the air temp is in the 40s or below and you're hands are wet.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by liljakec View Post
    It's one of the best times of the year for big bass! Yes, your amount of bites will go down but there is a good chance it'll be a nice one. Stick with a jig and a jerkbait fished painfully slow around hard cover and channel swings.

The hardest part of fishing this time of year is dealing with the weather. Any amount of wind makes it pretty miserable when the air temp is in the 40s or below and you're hands are wet.
    I use hot hands hand warmers and they make all the difference. I’ll probably stick it out till the ice. Like to try 12-mile/green valley this thanksgiving but evan the 1hr drive is tuff not know if I will get one bite.... you know what they say if fishing was easy everyone would do it Lol.