Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Pro-Tech Mats Tuff Bunks?

Does anyone have any experience with these Tuff Bunks?

https://www.protechmatsproducts.com/...ent-tuff-bunk/
    united in the pursuit of bass.

2. Member
    I've got a set coming to me now. I heard about them from pitbully71 on the Nitro forum. He's had them for a while and says he likes them so far. Just to let you know, they have developed a method for combining two shorter boards to make longer boards (over 8 feet) so you still get free shipping. They give you a steel plate that goes on the second bracket from the front. The two boards attach to this plate in the middle of the bracket. You need to call about that because they need certain measurements. I dealt with Rita and got great customer service. I liked the fact that they're totally enclosed and you don't have to do anything but put them on. Looking forward to seeing how they do.

3. mikesxpress
    Chuck can you share what your total cost was for what length boards? Pictures of what you receive and installation? It's a new product and most all of us would be interested in that stuff as well as performance after you get them on.
    *I am particularly interested in that splice plate to secure the two boards. I assume the request for measurements in advance of ordering is to avoid the splice plate ending up near the support brackets?

4. Member
    Mike, in regards to the splice plate, measuring from the front, they had me measure from the front of the bunk to the center of the second bracket from the front. They sent me a video that showed, that when the plate is attached to the bracket, the two boards will meet over the center of the bracket. The costs are for 2x4 boards and the prices are for a pair of each: 54" ($89.20); 66" ($109); 80 1/2" ($138.70); 58" ($109). The 58" and 80 1/2" boards take the place of the 138" boards I was looking at that would include shipping. Shipping was free since I had no boards over 8 ft. They were supposed to be shipped either Friday or tomorrow. I will be installing them as soon as I get them and will be glad to post pictures and any other info. you would like.

Thanks Chuck! I look forward to the pictures!

Those look great! Only problem I see is the holes that are drilled for the lag bolts. Water will get into the wood and not be able to escape. Might rot from the inside out. Just like a transom. Maybe some 4200 on the lag bolts prior to install might work.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ifishinxs View Post
    Those look great! Only problem I see is the holes that are drilled for the lag bolts. Water will get into the wood and not be able to escape. Might rot from the inside out. Just like a transom. Maybe some 4200 on the lag bolts prior to install might work.
    Yeah, I was thinking about doing that very thing when I install them.

8. mikesxpress
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck H. View Post
    Mike, in regards to the splice plate, measuring from the front, they had me measure from the front of the bunk to the center of the second bracket from the front. They sent me a video that showed, that when the plate is attached to the bracket, the two boards will meet over the center of the bracket. The costs are for 2x4 boards and the prices are for a pair of each: 54" ($89.20); 66" ($109); 80 1/2" ($138.70); 58" ($109). The 58" and 80 1/2" boards take the place of the 138" boards I was looking at that would include shipping. Shipping was free since I had no boards over 8 ft. They were supposed to be shipped either Friday or tomorrow. I will be installing them as soon as I get them and will be glad to post pictures and any other info. you would like.
    Thanks Chuck!
    The splice plate over the bracket makes the most sense to maintain rigidity of the bunk. It'll be interesting to see how they perform.

9. Member

Tuff Bunks Install

I got my Tuff Bunks installed Saturday. They turned out real well. Making the two long bunks using the mending plates worked well. The plates came with two holes in each end to attach to the bunks. The bunks were cut out to match the plates as seen in the picture. I drilled a hole in the center of each plate to attach it to the bracket. It is a very strong connection. On the other bunks, you just measure, mark and drill holes to attach to the brackets. I've loaded the boat twice now and it seems to load just as well as on the carpeted bunks. I'm real pleased with how it turned out. I like the fact that the wood is totally encapsulated in the rubber material. Hopefully will never have replace bunks again. bunkplate.jpgbunkcutout.jpgbunksconnected.jpgbunksfinished.jpg

10. mikesxpress
    Thanks for taking the time to post the pictures and provide installation feedback Chuck!

I'm now interested in how they hold up after 6 months-year and what the gelcoat on the hull looks like after years worth of unloading/loading. I've "guinea pigged" quite a few things on here and it's always interesting to see how new stuff works out with unbiased members.

11. Member
    Yes looks great .. longevity.. and does it scuff , scratching of the hull of your boat ..
    if it rubberized.. how easy does ur boat load and unload

Mercury Pro Team

2017 Triton 20 TRX Patriot
    250 Opti Max Pro XS
    Twin 8' Power Pole Blades
    2 Solix 12 gen 3 , with mega 360

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Murph44 View Post
    Yes looks great .. longevity.. and does it scuff , scratching of the hull of your boat ..
    if it rubberized.. how easy does ur boat load and unload
    I've only loaded the boat three times so far. There is no scratching so far and it seems to load just as easily as with the carpeted bunks.

Thanks for the pictures feedback! I really appreciate it!
    When you spoke with them, did they say anything about a dealer network?

14. mikesxpress
    Once you have launched/loaded for 6 months and jacked the hull off the bunks for a visual on the gelcoat will give a better idea of what to expect.

Now that the carpet is gone, do you see any gaps between the surface of the new bunks and the hull?

15. Member
    You're right, Mike, only time will tell. I do not see any gaps with the carpet gone. BassCPT, they did not say anything about a dealer network. If you have any questions, call and ask for Rita. She was extremely helpful.

Will do!

Thanks!

Just got off the phone with the owner, Randy. Super chill dude and very up front with me!

So they're working on getting dealers onboard which I hope is sooner than later.
    He also told me that Roy Hawk has been running these for 6 months so now I'm off to the YouTube to see if there are any videos out there with his impressions on the bunks.

18. Member

19. Member
    I'm interested if anyone has any more experience with this product? I need to replace all the bunks on my trailer and am debating just going back with carpeted boards or one of these newer composite types. I don't trailer my boat often as I keep it on the lift at my dock but I would like the opportunity to transport it to other lakes occasionally.

Are these the best alternative so far? I have also seen Ultimate Bunk Boards -- https://www.ultimatebunkboards.com/ which are 100% extruded polyethylene plastic boards and seem a bit cheaper as well. Should I continue looking for others?

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ra2bach View Post
    I'm interested if anyone has any more experience with this product? I need to replace all the bunks on my trailer and am debating just going back with carpeted boards or one of these newer composite types. I don't trailer my boat often as I keep it on the lift at my dock but I would like the opportunity to transport it to other lakes occasionally.

Are these the best alternative so far? I have also seen Ultimate Bunk Boards -- https://www.ultimatebunkboards.com/ which are 100% extruded polyethylene plastic boards and seem a bit cheaper as well. Should I continue looking for others?
    See my posts above. I installed mine at the beginning of December. I have loaded the boat quite a few times since then. I am very pleased so far. No problems at all and it almost feels like it loads easier than with carpet. I looked at other options but liked the fact that these are totally encapsulated and all I had to do was screw them on.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast