Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. mikesxpress
    Quote Originally Posted by ra2bach View Post
    I'm interested if anyone has any more experience with this product? I need to replace all the bunks on my trailer and am debating just going back with carpeted boards or one of these newer composite types. I don't trailer my boat often as I keep it on the lift at my dock but I would like the opportunity to transport it to other lakes occasionally.

Are these the best alternative so far? I have also seen Ultimate Bunk Boards -- https://www.ultimatebunkboards.com/ which are 100% extruded polyethylene plastic boards and seem a bit cheaper as well. Should I continue looking for others?
    Ray you will want to look at Gatorbak bunk covers. Sponsor on BBC with 10% discount for board members and they have been around for years now. I have the XP bunks on my Rangertrail.

2. mikesxpress
    White covers.

Now the clear lighted XP covers.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesxpress View Post
    Ray you will want to look at Gatorbak bunk covers. Sponsor on BBC with 10% discount for board members and they have been around for years now. I have the XP bunks on my Rangertrail.
    Thanks for the reply. My boat is a Nitro and uses 2x4 bunks. the wood itself has rotted and won't hold the carriage bolt so I need to replace the whole thing.

I asked the guy at my boat dealer and he said to use 2x6 boards even though the trailer came with 2x4. does this sound like good advice?

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck H. View Post
    See my posts above. I installed mine at the beginning of December. I have loaded the boat quite a few times since then. I am very pleased so far. No problems at all and it almost feels like it loads easier than with carpet. I looked at other options but liked the fact that these are totally encapsulated and all I had to do was screw them on.
    This is good information, thanks. As I said, I don't anticipate trailering my boat more than a few times a year so I was wondering about the cost effectiveness as I am replacing all the bunks on the trailer.

They are carpet covered pressure treated 2x4 (as near as I can tell), 2 @ 5'2" and 2 @ 8'2". At roughly $73 for 30' of carpet + $50 in lumber, staples, etc. + my time, and it's starting to look like the Tuff Bunks are a better solution.

Does anyone think there is a benefit to going with 2x6 vs 2x4, or is there a possible downside?..

Chuck, have you had issues or concerns with the boat sliding off these bunks when you go to launch?
    While I'm too paranoid to unhook the boat until she's touching water, I know having some level of "grip" on the bunks is a good thing for those who unhook their boats at the top of the ramp, or don't bother hooking up the boat when their pulling out of the water.
    united in the pursuit of bass.

6. mikesxpress
    Quote Originally Posted by ra2bach View Post
    This is good information, thanks. As I said, I don't anticipate trailering my boat more than a few times a year so I was wondering about the cost effectiveness as I am replacing all the bunks on the trailer.

They are carpet covered pressure treated 2x4 (as near as I can tell), 2 @ 5'2" and 2 @ 8'2". At roughly $73 for 30' of carpet + $50 in lumber, staples, etc. + my time, and it's starting to look like the Tuff Bunks are a better solution.

Does anyone think there is a benefit to going with 2x6 vs 2x4, or is there a possible downside?..
    Ray if the dealer guy didn't have the boat on the trailer available for him to get under it and look at the existing bunk mounting/positioning, I would be concerned about his statement to switch up to 2X6. The hull configuration/strakes dictate the bunk size and you would think the OEM choose the 2X4's for a reason?

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BassCPT View Post
    Chuck, have you had issues or concerns with the boat sliding off these bunks when you go to launch?
    While I'm too paranoid to unhook the boat until she's touching water, I know having some level of "grip" on the bunks is a good thing for those who unhook their boats at the top of the ramp, or don't bother hooking up the boat when their pulling out of the water.
    Leo, I don't have an answer for that. I decided to err on the side of caution years ago and stopped leaving the boat unhooked launching and loading. The bunks have kind of a rough finish and my impression would be that in those situations it would be no different than with carpet, but that's just a guess.

8. Member
    Ray if the dealer guy didn't have the boat on the trailer available for him to get under it and look at the existing bunk mounting/positioning, I would be concerned about his statement to switch up to 2X6. The hull configuration/strakes dictate the bunk size and you would think the OEM choose the 2X4's for a reason?
    Thanks, that's exactly my first instinct. On the other hand, my boat lift has 6" boards and it's been sitting on there for awhile with no issues. However, the bunks are set up on the lift so that they can pivot to adjust to the angle of the hull and twist/deflect over their length - the trailer mounts the board rigidly.

He did say a good trick that he uses when he installs these is to plane the top edges of the boards at a 45* angle. I think the idea is a stronger board with about the same bearing surface. I'd be more inclined to just hit them with a belt sander to put a small radius on it rather than a hard angle but I don't want to over think it.

Anyway, thanks for your help to sooth the nerves of a novice. As my boss used to say, "there are no stupid questions, only stupid people"...

9. Member
    I just installed these on my Nitro trailer and have launched three times. While the bunks look good and aren't slippery, there's a white chalky substance on the bunks and my hull like it's scratching. I'm not amused and I'm not sure I recommend them. I don't see myself letting this continue.
    2014 Z8
    Pro XS 25
    Fortrex 112
    Humminbird 999SI/859DI

10. mikesxpress
    Brad please provide some pictures showing the issues you described.

11. Member

2014 Z8
    Pro XS 25
    Fortrex 112
    Humminbird 999SI/859DI

12. mikesxpress
    Thanks Brad!!

Do you think the white residue is due to the water your launching in? Is it showing up on the bunks in the lot prior to loading or after the boat is loaded?

You mentioned hull scratches?

13. Member
    Thanks Brad!!

Do you think the white residue is due to the water your launching in? Is it showing up on the bunks in the lot prior to loading or after the boat is loaded?

You mentioned hull scratches?
    it showed up after fishing the first time with them on and trailering about an hour. The next time I looked at them, there was the white residue. It appears to be a chalk from the gel coat. I assume it happened from the vibration from trailering.
    2014 Z8
    Pro XS 25
    Fortrex 112
    Humminbird 999SI/859DI

14. mikesxpress
    I would get it jacked up off the bunks and get some pictures.

15. mikesxpress
    Any hull pictures?

16. Banned
    That coating looks pretty abrasive to me.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mxmike View Post
    That coating looks pretty abrasive to me.
    It is very abrasive. I was under the impression it was a more rubberized coating, but these things are very rigid. At this point, I wouldn't recommend them.
    2014 Z8
    Pro XS 25
    Fortrex 112
    Humminbird 999SI/859DI

18. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by kimbrell224 View Post
    It is very abrasive. I was under the impression it was a more rubberized coating, but these things are very rigid. At this point, I wouldn't recommend them.
    Ya thanks. That white chalky stuff in your pics looks like the residue you get when wet sanding gel coat.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mxmike View Post
    Ya thanks. That white chalky stuff in your pics looks like the residue you get when wet sanding gel coat.
    yes exactly
    2014 Z8
    Pro XS 25
    Fortrex 112
    Humminbird 999SI/859DI

20. mikesxpress
    Brad how about some pictures of the hull where the bunks rest? I'm sure everyone considering these will want to see if that white residue is actually gelcoat being rubbed off. If it is, the bunk manufacturer will need to pay for your hull refinishing.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast