Thread: Fuel gauge

Fuel gauge

I'm sure at some point in the past this has been discussed, but I thought I'd throw it out there. I have a '92 372V that the fuel gauge doesn't seem to be working. It does move up and down with fueling and running times, but it never shows that it is full. If I wanted to fix it, is it a simple fix? Is it a matter of replacing the mechanism in the tank. Is it hard to get to? We'll, you know what I mean. Also, no matter how slow I fill it at the pump, it boils out the filler neck, not the overflow. I that a common problem with these older boats? I had a '87 375V and I don't remember that being an issue.

2. Member
    You may have to replace the sending unit. Not hard to do. You will have to check the electrical connections. Do a search on here, I’m not the best to explain. As far as filling the tanks, this is common. Just search for the best angle holding the pump and go slow. I have a 91 361.

3. Member
    I installed these
    http://

The one I bought didn't look like the picture - the sender mechanism had just the wire rod, and another wire rod with the float that clamped onto the first rod. I didn't want that extra connection, so I shortened the bail arm - had to cut, then reform (squash) the end to retain the float. Way easier that it might sound, and it's been perfect all season.

This boat is even worse than my last on the fuel-fill issue. I've purchased the Perko inline check valves. Plan on pulling the seat, installing those and will be replacing the deck fills with some cast stainless ones (with proper O-ring seals) at the same time. Will also be giving the vents (and their tubing) a long look at the same time.

1990 Ranger 362V Yamaha Pro-V 150
    Old Town Predator MinnKota

4. Member
    I saw those Perko check valves. I'd be interested in how they work for you. How do the seats come out on your 362? I assume I need to pull them to get to my tank, right?

5. Member
    I've got buckets, not the bench - not sure if it's stock or not? Six screws hold the fiberglass tray in (3 across the top and 3 in the bottom lip), then the whole assembly just lifts out seats and all. Senders are right on top, fuel lines are visible in the back corners. I used some I plan on waiting for warmer weather to fight with the rubber fuel lines.

6. Member
    I have the original bench seat. I'll have to do some research on removing them. Good luck with your project. Keep us posted how those check valves work out.

Perko check valves are the bomb. Put them on my last two oats and no burping problems