Mounting Solix transducer new bay boat Avid 23FS

All of the boats at my dealer have the transducers mounted directly to the transom medial to the lifting stakes. I was interested in mounting the transducer to the hydraulic Atlas Jack plate for a few reasons. I wouldn't have to drill any holes in the boat, it looks better IMO and I can route the wire along the jack plate and not have stray wire running up my hull. I was kind of drawn to the idea of the "Spring back mounts" but at minimum I like the adjustable mounts. I don't want to have to remount if I don't get the angle right the first time.

I am a complete NEWB when it comes to owning a boat. I feel confident in my ability to mount a transducer and run the wires, I just don't know the best way to do it.

The transducer face has to have water contact to broadcast sound in the water and sense the return echoes.
    Does your jackplate come close enough to the hull bottom that you can attach the transducer to it and have water contact all the time?
    Looks is irrelevant if there is no function.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

3. Member
    I don't have my boat yet, just doing a little planning. Here is a picture I took of how either AVID or the dealer is installing them. If I need to mount it like they have that is not a problem, I just prefer to run the cable differently. I'd probably opt to mount it to a glued on piece of starboard over drilling the aluminum, unless that is not good either. The transom is 25", so I don't know if that will have my jack plate sitting higher than a traditional 20" transom on boats like this. I'd also like something that looks a little better than those screwed in cable ties... I agree function is more important than looks.

Last edited by kcinnick; 11-20-2020 at 05:40 PM. Reason: I was trying to flip the picture, but the forum software is flipping it sideways for some reason

Well that transducer placed so a little of it is below the hull bottom so it can work. BUT depending on how fast the boat is, those large transducers are difficult to get set correctly for "high speed".
    If that is the case, the large Imaging transducer could be attached to the jackplate and a smaller 2D-only transducer placed at the hull bottom.

Yes a transducer mount board is the best way to limit the holes in the hull. Just have to do it correctly so it doesn't come loose.
    Check out Stern Saver, it's made specifically for that purpose.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne P. View Post
    Well that transducer placed so a little of it is below the hull bottom so it can work. BUT depending on how fast the boat is, those large transducers are difficult to get set correctly for "high speed".
    If that is the case, the large Imaging transducer could be attached to the jackplate and a smaller 2D-only transducer placed at the hull bottom.

Yes a transducer mount board is the best way to limit the holes in the hull. Just have to do it correctly so it doesn't come loose.
    Check out Stern Saver, it's made specifically for that purpose.
    Dealer said the boat should hit 50, Yamaha had a performance bulletin on the 21ft with same motor and it did 52. I am fine with mid 40's.

Quote Originally Posted by kcinnick View Post
    Dealer said the boat should hit 50, Yamaha had a performance bulletin on the 21ft with same motor and it did 52. I am fine with mid 40's.
    Use a mount board, you will probably be changing the transducer that does on-plane depth/2D sonar.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne P. View Post
    Use a mount board, you will probably be changing the transducer that does on-plane depth/2D sonar.
    As in adding a transducer or completely replacing the transducer? I have been searching and it seems that putting the Mega transducer on the jack plate and a cheaper transducer on the transom is a common solution on aluminum boats that can't have a thru hull transducer.

As in adding a transducer or completely replacing the transducer? I have been searching and it seems that putting the Mega transducer on the jack plate and a cheaper transducer on the transom is a common solution on aluminum boats that can't have a thru hull transducer.
    Yep, you got it.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

9. Member
    Same boat, same jack plate, does it look to high for a jack plate mount? Not the end of the world if not, I just want to know. I also plan on hanging shallow water anchors off the jack plate.

Same boat, same jack plate, does it look to high for a jack plate mount? Not the end of the world if not, I just want to know. I also plan on hanging shallow water anchors off the jack plate.

Well you could make a bracket attached to the transducer that will place the transducer at the bottom of the hull.
    OR get the Transducer Shield and Saver mount with L bracket, then use enough of their spacers to get it low enough.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

11. Member
    All of the boats at my dealer have the transducers mounted directly to the transom medial to the lifting stakes. I was interested in mounting the transducer to the hydraulic Atlas Jack plate for a few reasons. I wouldn't have to drill any holes in the boat, it looks better IMO and I can route the wire along the jack plate and not have stray wire running up my hull. I was kind of drawn to the idea of the "Spring back mounts" but at minimum I like the adjustable mounts. I don't want to have to remount if I don't get the angle right the first time.

I am a complete NEWB when it comes to owning a boat. I feel confident in my ability to mount a transducer and run the wires, I just don't know the best way to do it.
    This will solve your problem: https://www.transducershieldandsaver.com/

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RGK456 View Post
    This will solve your problem: https://www.transducershieldandsaver.com/
    I shot them an email. I remember seeing other mounts that were adjustable but I can't seem to find them now. I also don't understand why they can't design a transducer that does imaging and maintains depth on plane OR make a set that uses one wire to go up the transom.

13. Banned
    Had my mega ducer mounted on the transom mounted on a transom board and it did fine. Had it on the one side and the lowrance totalscan on the other. 21' aluminum boat.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by grandbassslayer View Post
    Had my mega ducer mounted on the transom mounted on a transom board and it did fine. Had it on the one side and the lowrance totalscan on the other. 21' aluminum boat.
    I think I am going with a stern pad and mounting where everyone else is mounting the transducer. With the setback transom I can hide the wire under the set back, is there any reason I can't run the wire behind the jack plate and buddy the wire with the hydraulic lines? My second option would be to route it next to the jack plate, third would be going through that vent hole... and why they don't put a cover on it... I don't understand.