Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Charlie Don't Surf! King_Fish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Panama View Post
    ...And actually the Vexus narrows to much in the V shape to suit me.

How dare you speak of Vexus with negative connotation...

And as far as I'm concerned, the RT fishes as good or better than anything out there with the TM down, that includes a glass Triton!
    2018 Ranger RT198p
    Charcoal Metallic
    Etec 150HP G2 HO
    24p Raker Stainless prop
    82# MotorGuide Tour Pro TM
    Fishes as good as anything out there, with the TM down...

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by King_Fish View Post
    How dare you speak of Vexus with negative connotation...

And as far as I'm concerned, the RT fishes as good or better than anything out there with the TM down, that includes a glass Triton!
    You really make me feel good. My 198 is due to be built mid December. I've bought 4 boats in the past 20 years and each time I said I was getting an aluminum but I just couldn't do it. My last boat I had for 3 years and had 14 hours on the big motor but no telling how many hours on the trolling motor. Mostly I fish a smaller local lake and if I put 20 minutes on the motor I've probably moved more than I should have. Even if I go to one of our large lakes I've fished them for so many years that I just use the closest ramp to my trusted spots and kind of camp out. I think the 198 will be much better suited to my style of fishing and more economical. They are expensive but compared for a fully equipped glass boat in that size range they are not so bad, if you say it real fast.
    Jim
    2023 Triton 19 TRX Patriot, gunmetal/carbon mist/silver mist, 225 Merc Pro XS, SN 3B265119

3. Member
    I know what's coming next and who it's coming from. Standby.........

4. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Panama View Post
    One of the biggest reasons I went with the RT188 was the size of the front deck. I am not recommending it or its brother ---- I am just commenting on how hugely important the layout of the front deck was for me.

There are days in Florida when I drive the boat 8-10 miles and then put the trolling motor down and use the front deck until I head back to the ramp.... I might idle or cruise to another close spot but 90-95 percent of my time is spent on the front deck ....

MOST of the glass boats and also many of the aluminum boats really narrow toward the front and do not have much room for the front half of the front deck. This is where I stay most of the day and I wanted the best I could get without getting too big of a boat lengthwise.

And actually the Vexus narrows to much in the V shape to suit me.
    that's why i like my Polarkraft 195. Front deck is nice and big, and doesn't narrow at bow.
    pk at dock 2.jpg

5. Charlie Don't Surf! King_Fish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by madmurph View Post
    I know what's coming next and who it's coming from. Standby.........
    You know me all too well................

2018 Ranger RT198p
    Charcoal Metallic
    Etec 150HP G2 HO
    24p Raker Stainless prop

6. Charlie Don't Surf! King_Fish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jtrac View Post
    You really make me feel good. My 198 is due to be built mid December. I've bought 4 boats in the past 20 years and each time I said I was getting an aluminum but I just couldn't do it. My last boat I had for 3 years and had 14 hours on the big motor but no telling how many hours on the trolling motor. Mostly I fish a smaller local lake and if I put 20 minutes on the motor I've probably moved more than I should have. Even if I go to one of our large lakes I've fished them for so many years that I just use the closest ramp to my trusted spots and kind of camp out. I think the 198 will be much better suited to my style of fishing and more economical. They are expensive but compared for a fully equipped glass boat in that size range they are not so bad, if you say it real fast.
    You will love it, good luck and keep us posted...
    2018 Ranger RT198p
    Charcoal Metallic
    Etec 150HP G2 HO
    24p Raker Stainless prop

7. Member
    One of the biggest reasons I went with the RT188 was the size of the front deck. I am not recommending it or its brother ---- I am just commenting on how hugely important the layout of the front deck was for me.
    Perzacklee! A friend has a Nitro Z8, which is a 20 footer. We were fishing together and we came along side each other to compare notes. He was astonished that the front deck of my 188 was as big as his and my back deck was larger. Every time I run into a cross wind/waves and I get wet, or want more rear lift from a pad hull, I switch to how marvelous the thing is with the Ultrex down.
    2015 Ranger RT188 DC; BassCat Storage Box; Mercury Optimax 115ProXS;
    19" Spitfire X7; Vessel View Mobile; Minn Kota Ultrex 80; GForce Handle;
    TM Eliminator; Helix 7 G2N SI Combo F/R; HydroWave KVD; BBT 4" Angled Bow Mount; Durasafe Locks for Electronics and Ultrex;
    Twist Step Boarding Ladder; EZEE Step ES1; BAC RAC Rod Storage; Motor Mate Transom Saver

8. Charlie Don't Surf! King_Fish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GeauxTide View Post
    ...I switch to how marvelous the thing is with the Ultrex down.
    24V Ultrex? or 36V?
    2018 Ranger RT198p
    Charcoal Metallic
    Etec 150HP G2 HO
    24p Raker Stainless prop

9. Member
    You will love it, good luck and keep us posted...
    Do you have a single or tandem trailer? When I ordered last month the tandem wasn't listed as an option yet, probably because of the changeover in manufacturing locations. Last week it showed up as an option and I asked if it could be changed to put the tandem under it. I got confirmation yesterday that is was changed. I haven't had a tandem trailer since I had an 09 Triton a while back but I remember how smoothly it towed. A tandem is probably overkill but the price difference between a single with the upgraded brake option and the tandem with brakes on both axles is $980. Doesn't seem like much but it adds up quickly. I hope it is worth it.
    Jim
    2023 Triton 19 TRX Patriot, gunmetal/carbon mist/silver mist, 225 Merc Pro XS, SN 3B265119

24V Ultrex? or 36V?
    I have a 36V Rip Tide Terrova on my RT198. I recently switched to the Dura Cell AGM size 31. I did remove my Charger from the stern, but I have PLENTY of room as I install a Fuel / Water separator, spare prop, square bucket with tools and such, 3 Size 31 batteries, and the cranking battery. There still remains a good amount of space. I did not see that much available room on other tins when I was shopping around. (I knew I was going to have a 36V system for the conditions I fish).
    2019 RT 198P
    2018 Mercury Pro XS 150 HP 4 Stroke #2B610068
    Twin 12' BT Talons
    4" Atlas Jack Plate
    Riptide Instinct Quest

11. #FRB
    To stay on topic Xpress X18 would probably get you to your goal pretty easy. As much as I like the Tracker 195 I just don't have any faith of it holding up over time with the .100 aluminum it's made of. The biggest motor I'd want on that thickness is a 115. I know I dodged a bullet by not buying a 195 the first year they came out because I was sure considering one before I decided what I ended up buying was more than enough for what I was needing a boat to do for me.

As for the front deck sidetrack one size DOES NOT fit all and all boats have their compromises. On the price gap between glass and premium tin closing up, yes it is. What a lot of glass owners fail to realize is that not everyone who can afford a glass rig wants a glass rig. Being able to fish for a day out of a boat you're interested in even if it's just from the back of it the whole time will tell you a lot. Too bad that's rarely possible for most of us.
    2023 Xpress H18 with 115 SHO and Powertech NRS4 21p
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Garmin Echomap 12, 10, 9, and LVS34 networked with Netgear Switch
    Ultrex
    Trick Steps and Ramp N Clamp
    Pulled by a 2016 single cab HEMI Ram

Treat others like you want to be treated when on the water EVEN WHEN IN A TOURNAMENT! No fish is worth having a confrontation because you cut someone off or came in on top of someone.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Highcentered View Post
    To stay on topic Xpress X18 would probably get you to your goal pretty easy. As much as I like the Tracker 195 I just don't have any faith of it holding up over time with the .100 aluminum it's made of. The biggest motor I'd want on that thickness is a 115. I know I dodged a bullet by not buying a 195 the first year they came out because I was sure considering one before I decided what I ended up buying was more than enough for what I was needing a boat to do for me.

As for the front deck sidetrack one size DOES NOT fit all and all boats have their compromises. On the price gap between glass and premium tin closing up, yes it is. What a lot of glass owners fail to realize is that not everyone who can afford a glass rig wants a glass rig. Being able to fish for a day out of a boat you're interested in even if it's just from the back of it the whole time will tell you a lot. Too bad that's rarely possible for most of us.
    The Ranger aluminum boats are the same thickness, and I haven't heard of anyone having many issues with the Tracker 195 or Ranger 198 hulls, other than the transom cracking at the top where the motor mounting bolts are, and that is easily fixed If you take it to someone who can weld aluminum.

13. Charlie Don't Surf! King_Fish's Avatar
    Do you have a single or tandem trailer? When I ordered last month the tandem wasn't listed as an option yet, probably because of the changeover in manufacturing locations. Last week it showed up as an option and I asked if it could be changed to put the tandem under it. I got confirmation yesterday that is was changed. I haven't had a tandem trailer since I had an 09 Triton a while back but I remember how smoothly it towed. A tandem is probably overkill but the price difference between a single with the upgraded brake option and the tandem with brakes on both axles is $980. Doesn't seem like much but it adds up quickly. I hope it is worth it.
    Single, which makes it easy for me to maneuver around in my driveway and into my garage.
    2018 Ranger RT198p
    Charcoal Metallic
    Etec 150HP G2 HO
    24p Raker Stainless prop

14. Charlie Don't Surf! King_Fish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mechanic Bob View Post
    I have a 36V Rip Tide Terrova on my RT198. I recently switched to the Dura Cell AGM size 31. I did remove my Charger from the stern, but I have PLENTY of room as I install a Fuel / Water separator, spare prop, square bucket with tools and such, 3 Size 31 batteries, and the cranking battery. There still remains a good amount of space. I did not see that much available room on other tins when I was shopping around. (I knew I was going to have a 36V system for the conditions I fish).
    Otherwise, do you think a 24V Ultrex would suffice?

I have a 24V 80# Fortrex now, ,which is good, and I fish river currents, wind, etc... I just need to upgrade to a system w/ Spotlock
    2018 Ranger RT198p
    Charcoal Metallic
    Etec 150HP G2 HO
    24p Raker Stainless prop

15. Charlie Don't Surf! King_Fish's Avatar
    You will be very happy with your choice.

The thing inherent to any aluminum rig is that they are a bit more susceptible to wind and wont take big wakes and waves as well as glass boats. And you will get some refreshing spray in the face if wind and wave conditions are right. Minor factors though...

This boat also has a shallow draft, i can sneak mine into and maneuver around in ~ 1+ foot of water. I am planning to upgrade to an Ultrex someday here in the near future. In retrospect, I would have gone with that from the beginning.
    2018 Ranger RT198p
    Charcoal Metallic
    Etec 150HP G2 HO
    24p Raker Stainless prop

16. Member

I have a 24V 80# Fortrex now, ,which is good, and I fish river currents, wind, etc... I just need to upgrade to a system w/ Spotlock
    I had a 24v Ultrex on my Xpress X19 and replaced it with a Garmin Force running on 24v. It is much more powerful. It’ll hold on spot lock and move me around well in dam tailraces with a lot of water moving.

If you’re sticking with Minn Kota you’ll probably want to go 36v but if you’re looking at one of the new brushless motors like the Ghost or Force then I’d try it on 24v. It’ll probably be strong enough and if it’s not you just add one more battery.

I have no idea what currents you have to deal with. The rivers and tides down here, an 80lbs thrust will not move my boat up stream against the currents.
    2019 RT 198P
    2018 Mercury Pro XS 150 HP 4 Stroke #2B610068
    Twin 12' BT Talons
    4" Atlas Jack Plate
    Riptide Instinct Quest

18. #FRB
    Quote Originally Posted by bassfisher444 View Post
    The Ranger aluminum boats are the same thickness, and I haven't heard of anyone having many issues with the Tracker 195 or Ranger 198 hulls, other than the transom cracking at the top where the motor mounting bolts are, and that is easily fixed If you take it to someone who can weld aluminum.
    And having to get a newer boat welded on because they didn't make it heavy duty enough for normal use from the beginning is OK why? I do understand how there will always be growing pains with a hull that's new to the market like the 195 was in 2016. The solution to the problem would have been to make sure everything will hold up even if it meant going the extra mile and making the msrp a little more and no one would have ever known the difference being a first year model. Build it right to begin with and you'll be miles ahead a year later. I've been a Beta tester for a product (car audio related) and it was a pain in the ass. Never doing that again! Would never want to be a beta tester for a boat or motor.
    2023 Xpress H18 with 115 SHO and Powertech NRS4 21p
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Garmin Echomap 12, 10, 9, and LVS34 networked with Netgear Switch
    Ultrex
    Trick Steps and Ramp N Clamp
    Pulled by a 2016 single cab HEMI Ram

Treat others like you want to be treated when on the water EVEN WHEN IN A TOURNAMENT! No fish is worth having a confrontation because you cut someone off or came in on top of someone.

19. Member
    The Tracker 195 and Ranger 198 have both been out for awhile. Also they didn't all have issues with the transom, only a small percentage of them had problems, they seemed to have figured it out and fixed it on the newer models.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Highcentered View Post
    And having to get a newer boat welded on because they didn't make it heavy duty enough for normal use from the beginning is OK why? I do understand how there will always be growing pains with a hull that's new to the market like the 195 was in 2016. The solution to the problem would have been to make sure everything will hold up even if it meant going the extra mile and making the msrp a little more and no one would have ever known the difference being a first year model. Build it right to begin with and you'll be miles ahead a year later. I've been a Beta tester for a product (car audio related) and it was a pain in the ass. Never doing that again! Would never want to be a beta tester for a boat or motor.
    +1, agree

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast