Thread: Ride vs PHX

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ride vs PHX

Any of y’all been in both boats in rough water? I fish a lot of coangler stuff, and I’m pretty sure the PHX is in a league of its own as far as ride is concerned. But - the fit and finish of the top cap is cheap enough to make me not want one. And I hate the graphics.

Is the Ballistic hull design as soft and dry as the PHX?

2. Member
    Yes, the ballistic is a great rough water boat.

3. Member
    I
    Quote Originally Posted by BamaBallistic View Post
    Yes, the ballistic is a great rough water boat.
    I guess what I’m asking is does it land soft like the PHX. The PHX is very unique in this aspect - it just rarely hits hard. That’s what I’m looking for. Speed is secondary but nice to have.

4. Banned
    No more Lund?

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by blakesfav View Post
    I

I guess what I’m asking is does it land soft like the PHX. The PHX is very unique in this aspect - it just rarely hits hard. That’s what I’m looking for. Speed is secondary but nice to have.
    I’ve never rode in a PHoenix. What I can tell you is there isn’t a bigger, faster bass boat that’s fully vacuum infused boat on the market. I’ve been in a bunch of boats and the Ballistic is hands down the smoothest riding boat I’ve ever been in. I guess it’s just one of those things you’ll have to ride in and see for yourself. Mine will be in North Alabama most every weekend so you’re always welcome to come out if you’re in the area.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by grandbassslayer View Post
    No more Lund?
    I still have it. I’m shopping for the same ride and a bit more speed and a drier ride if I can find it. The Lund is a good boat though. It’s just a slug.

I had an Eyra before the Lund - I don’t totally miss the speed except when I get passed lol. I’ll keep the Lund if I can’t find something better. I do think the PHX is the only boat I’ve been in that rides as soft as my Lund does.

7. Charger Boats Moderator TOUCH OF CLASS's Avatar
    Can Jim send us one to lakes Ozark? We can see how it does as I know someone looking and is looking hard at the Caymas brand just because we have nothing here to test .Being able to get on plane in the summer here is what defines a ride and not breaking the boat .As said we have heard the 21 Phoenix rides very good but 70 is not fast anymore.60-65 without the motor running hard is where guys want to be and top out around 75-80.If the ballistic 223 can deliver it would be a seller for sure.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TOUCH OF CLASS View Post
    Can Jim send us one to lakes Ozark? We can see how it does as I know someone looking and is looking hard at the Caymas brand just because we have nothing here to test .Being able to get on plane in the summer here is what defines a ride and not breaking the boat .As said we have heard the 21 Phoenix rides very good but 70 is not fast anymore.60-65 without the motor running hard is where guys want to be and top out around 75-80.If the ballistic 223 can deliver it would be a seller for sure.
    This pretty much sums it up. Your 595/596 is another great boat in this category. It just needs a modern top cap and console. I’m in Texas, and it’s not really often that speed is needed. But when fishing venues like those on the Opens (Red river, Arkansas River, etc), having a boat that will run 70 plus loaded will at least keep you in the flow of traffic. Being able to take that same boat and comfortably run Rayburn or LOZ on a bad day is the elusive unicorn. I’ve been looking a while, and there’s only a few potential options.

9. Banned
    This pretty much sums it up. Your 595/596 is another great boat in this category. It just needs a modern top cap and console. I’m in Texas, and it’s not really often that speed is needed. But when fishing venues like those on the Opens (Red river, Arkansas River, etc), having a boat that will run 70 plus loaded will at least keep you in the flow of traffic. Being able to take that same boat and comfortably run Rayburn or LOZ on a bad day is the elusive unicorn. I’ve been looking a while, and there’s only a few potential options.
    After have a 60mph pro v and now a 72mph glass boat I have 2 observations. The glass boat is drier, but you can run 60 in the pro v in chop you wouldnt run 60 in the glass boat.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by grandbassslayer View Post
    After have a 60mph pro v and now a 72mph glass boat I have 2 observations. The glass boat is drier, but you can run 60 in the pro v in chop you wouldnt run 60 in the glass boat.
    I agree - the pro v will go pretty much anywhere wide open. It’s what I like about it. But there’s a few glass boats out there that will run it faster, and drier. But they all have compromises. What glass boat did you go to?

11. Member
    I owned a 20PHX year before I bought my 223...I’m not going to say the 223 rides and lands better than PHX, but it’s just as good...that said, I believe the 223 is a drier ride..
    Blazer 650 PRO /Nizpro SC SHO

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by falconpilot View Post
    I owned a 20PHX year before I bought my 223...I’m not going to say the 223 rides and lands better than PHX, but it’s just as good...that said, I believe the 223 is a drier ride..
    Thats great info and much appreciated. Exactly what I was looking for.

13. Member
    If anyone wants to bring a Ballistic up to Sturgeon bay/ Door county and test the great lakes ride let me know we could catch a smallmouth or two also I bet.

14. Member
    watch some videos of Lee Livesay running in the open. His .223 blows past everyone in some big water. Last year at the Classic on Guntersville was really rough water. Boat handles it like a champ and I think he’s said his is a 75-76 mph boat with all the gear those guys carry. He isn’t losing any races.

15. Member
    watch some videos of Lee Livesay running in the open. His .223 blows past everyone in some big water. Last year at the Classic on Guntersville was really rough water. Boat handles it like a champ and I think he’s said his is a 75-76 mph boat with all the gear those guys carry. He isn’t losing any races.
    Any links go the videos?

16. Member
    Any links go the videos?
    Not right off hand. If you’re on Facebook you can follow Lee Livesay BASS elite and he has some on there. Google Jim Fowler .223 on YouTube and he’s got some videos on there or join Ballistic Boat Owners group on facebook. Lots of videos, pictures there.

17. Member
    Here’s a link to Lee at a launch smoking some folks, lol

https://fb.watch/2jdfd4Ihwz/

18. Member
    Here’s a link to Lee at a launch smoking some folks, lol

https://fb.watch/2jdfd4Ihwz/
    That’s rolling. Looks like he’s got his hands full with it but hard to tell - some of it is crossing wakes and I’m impressed that he didn’t let out of it.

19. Member
    That’s rolling. Looks like he’s got his hands full with it but hard to tell - some of it is crossing wakes and I’m impressed that he didn’t let out of it.
    You can run 72-73 on clean water and let go of the wheel. Boat is really stable.

20. Member
    Hey fellas, I just wanted to weigh in here. I have had a Ballistic 223 with a Merc 250 Pro Xs 4 stroke for about 11 months. Tournament loaded 2 guys and gear it runs 75-76 MPH. 77 solo and gear. It may not be the fastest boat on the water, but once it gets a little rough it quickly becomes one of the fastest boats on the water. It really handles like a dream.Most people always ask how fast it goes, but the ride is where this boat shines. You will not be disappointed in a Ballistic. You are welcome to call me if you would like and I would be happy to answer anything questions I can.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast