Optimax Spark plug change interval?

2010 90 Optimax 1b803508. How often should the spark plugs be changed? According to the service manual they should be inspected yearly and changed as needed. I have only put 32 hours on the ones that I put in at the beginning of the year and the ones I replaced were the 10 year old originals. I pulled them out and checked the gap, and they are all at .032". The picure below shows the 1 year old ones with 32 hours on the left and the Originals on the right.
    20201119_171454.jpg

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Once per year, or every 100 hours of operation, whichever occurs FIRST.

See: Recommended Annual Maintenance for Optimax Engines

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Once per year, or every 100 hours of operation, whichever occurs FIRST.

See: Recommended Annual Maintenance for Optimax Engines
    Is there any reason for that? It seems excessive on a motor that doesn't have that many hours put on it.

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Some of the reasons include potential for fouling/misfiring, plug degradation or porcelain failure (around electrode), and of course- the inconvenience of a trip to the water with an engine that won't make power due to something as simple as a fouled plug.

Doesn't mean that they "can't" run longer, just that it's recommended (for some good reasons).

Have to remember that the duty cycle is twice that of a 4-stroke engine, and often at pretty high RPM's for extended periods, too.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor