Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Spinnerbait Storage

Guys i need help. Currently im storing my spinnerbaits in the binders with the ziploc bags in them. But im getting rust and oxidation on the blades. Ive tried storing them in the old style plano spinnerbait boxes same result. Whats a good way to store them to prevent mainly blade oxidation and some rust? Alot of new storage options on the market now that im not familiar with so thought id ask. I was leaning towards the Bass Mafia Blade Coffin, or Plano Edge spinnerbait box.and i wanted to add that im a spinnerbait fanatic. I carry alot more than i need to. Prolly 150 used and another totoe with 50 or 60 new in pack spinnerbaits so im sure many will say not to carry as many and i understand that but id like a way to keep them good and carry that many
    Dustin Davis
    Fish the days no one else wants to!!

2009 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha 4stroke
    Minn Kota Ultrex
    HDS Gen3 12/HDS Carbon 9

I use a plastic food storage, sandwich container, with a gasket. One per size, works pretty well, easy to store in boat. Tried many fishing type, this works best for me.

3. Member
    I used the small spinnerbait boxes along with the big storage case with the spinnerbaits racks in them. I got spinnerbaits I just dug out that were from the mid 90s and still in great shape except for the skirts falling off. I plan on a big skirt purchase this winter and get them all back online. I think the way to keep them in good shape is to not leave them in the boat for long periods of time. I took everything out if I wasn't going fishing for awhile. (Every Sunday night). A spinnerbait is a bunch of different metals, so oxidation is gonna happen if you don't stay on top of it. Kept them out of the humid boat compartment. I kept good care of stuff, stored properly. I've moved 5 times since 1987, I'm pulling stuff out of storage that looks brand new from the late 80s. Actually found an old all star spinnerbait rod I forgot about, was in a rod tube with 5 other rods. Pretty nice find in my own basement!!!
    2019 Alumacraft 14.5 escape tiller "child support"
    2018 Ford fiesta "pistachio"
    1992 kawasaki zx11 "legend"

4. Member
    Hey thanks for the replies guys
    Dustin Davis
    Fish the days no one else wants to!!

2009 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha 4stroke
    Minn Kota Ultrex
    HDS Gen3 12/HDS Carbon 9

I've been having good luck with the original 3700 size Plano spinnerbait box to store my spinnerbaits and buzzbaits. https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Plan...e-P370705.html I've probably got 25 spinnerbaits and 10 buzzbaits in it and though it's a little crowded, it's been doing the job well.

Regarding rust and oxidation, I have been using these rust inhibitor "chips" in my boxes: https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/The_...ge-IVCIPC.html. I'm not sure if they really do anything--they just seem like little pieces of cardboard--or whether I've just done a good job in keeping my baits dry, but they're cheap enough and I've not had problems with rust at all. I do tend to dry out a bait before putting it back in the box which obviously doesn't hurt.

I did previously use one of the boxy shaped Plano spinnerbait storage boxes, I think they classify it as a 3500 size. I liked that one much less. I've stayed away from the Plano Edge box designed for that purpose since it appears to be very similar, though I haven't seen one in person to credibly make any claims about it.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

6. Member
    Dusty, I got 3 plano small square spinnerbaits boxes plus 2 of the bigger trunk sized boxes with spinnerbait racks. You pay shipping and they are yours. Pm me if interested. They are all down in the level 4 bunker so it might take a bit to get them out, my security badge has expired for the elevator to the missle room.

7. Member
    You just all of us, and yourself, the problem.

Solve that problem and the other will go away, or at least reduce significantly.

8. Member
    Picked up a couple of the Plano Hydro Flo boxes this season. Seems to work.

9. Member
    I like these.
    https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Plan...age-P3505.html
    A few hundred holes to let them dry and air out.

10. Member
    Plano edge spinnerbait box is great

11. Member
    I have one of these Just Encase 1496 Spinnerbait boxes and it is the real deal. I have it stuffed full of spinnerbaits along with some trailer hooks and extra skirts in bags down in the bottom under some of my smaller spinnerbaits. It is a little bit big but I probably have 50 spinnerbaits in there. It is nicely ventilated so I don't have any issues with rust or oxidation. Mine might be the older model that was a bit smaller, I don't recall the exact model number but I know that I have been very happy with the Just Encase spinnerbait storage system.

https://store.justencase.com/1496-spinnerbait.aspx

12. Member
    Dusty, will dig them out when I can. They need to goto a spinnerbait guy.

13. Scraps
    I've been using the Plano 3700, mine are old enough that they're the Falcon brand. Last couple years I don't fish blades much, but I've found I've gotten into the bad habit of just throwing the baits into the box loose without putting them on the rack. Ends up in a big mess. I was thinking that Edge or Encase box would make it easier to put baits back. Those would be my next choices. I've neatened my boxes up, but have one of the Edge jig and chatterbait boxes and like it a lot.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

14. Member
    I keep most in a plano spinnerbait 3700 size box, but my "go to" stay in a sandwich size tupperware type container.

15. Member
    Flambeau ZeRust Blade Krate

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollopoint94 View Post
    Plano edge spinnerbait box is great
    Absolutely! This is great storage and inhibits rust and corrosion. Mine stores neatly in the front deck compartment in my Phoenix. Fits perfectly on the side shelf. I'd highly recommend. I've looked for years. Feel like I've found the solution, finally.
    2017 Phoenix 618Pro

17. Member
    It may not be feasible if you're wanting to store a hundred spinnerbaits or more, but I have installed the Cooks Go-To tackle storage systems on the underside of my rod locker lid and I have yet to have a spinnerbait, buzzbait, swim jig, or chatterbait get any rust on the hooks or blades. And because they hang without touching the sides or bottom of a plastic container, the skirts stay in great shape too. Each strip holds 12 baits and I have 4 strips on the underside of one lid and could easily add 2-4 more strips. The only downside I have found is that you have to enlarge the slit where the hook sits if the hook is a heavy-gauge wire hook. It's easy to do with a dremel tool, but it is still something that you would have to do in order to accommodate the bait's hook. And because the baits are hanging on the underside of a compartment lid, they are not taking up space for other baits that will be in traditional 3600 or 3700 boxes.

Quote Originally Posted by DustyD26 View Post
    Guys i need help. Currently im storing my spinnerbaits in the binders with the ziploc bags in them. But im getting rust and oxidation on the blades. Ive tried storing them in the old style plano spinnerbait boxes same result. Whats a good way to store them to prevent mainly blade oxidation and some rust? Alot of new storage options on the market now that im not familiar with so thought id ask. I was leaning towards the Bass Mafia Blade Coffin, or Plano Edge spinnerbait box.and i wanted to add that im a spinnerbait fanatic. I carry alot more than i need to. Prolly 150 used and another totoe with 50 or 60 new in pack spinnerbaits so im sure many will say not to carry as many and i understand that but id like a way to keep them good and carry that many
    The key to keeping them in nice condition is keeping them dry when not in use! Keep them in the house when not being used. If you keep them in the boat for extended time, they will condensate and rust regardless of what you put them in. Keep the blades clean and store them inside the house when not in use. The Plano type box works great.

19. Member
    I just bought the Flambeau spinnerbait storage box and it’s pretty decent. It also sits along the side in my forward compartment which was a plus. Got away from the Plano spinnerbait box. While they seemed good at first, they damaged a number of the skirts where they meet the jighead. I guess I could widen them at some point in the future.
    I like Big Bass, I cannot lie

20. Member
    Went though several methods, finally settled on the Plano 3707 for spinnerbaits (only) and its great. Zero complaints!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast