Suzuki codes and low voltage white wire

The title is for attention somewhat. I have experienced multiple codes stops run good then not start get home start fine then go several trips with no hiccups then same problem. I done all the usual stuff cleaned all connections even removed ecm cleaned all connect points. Ran good then problems would return after a few trips but the last trip it wouldn't fire at home. So i started digging it was beeping a low voltage beep and had good voltage at engine where i could check it without getting behind the mass of wires and ecu. My son in-law wiggled the main fuse as i was trying to start it and boom it hit. So i pulled the fuse and inspected with a light and the inside of it as it is a female fuse was black and dirty, the male part at the fuze box itself looked great and the fuse appeared to be good until you shined a light up inside. Im not sure of the cause its an 06 150 but only has 250 hours on it. Anyway i replaced the fuse and ran it with no problems and noticed it went right to the rev limiter which was a first as it was hanging out at about 5900 before the few times i pushed it. I hope this thread helps somebody in the future. I had previously replaced a faulty relay and thought i fixed it so fingers crossed

2. Member
    Well done.

3. Member
    Here is a link to an informative sticky post about the”white wire” over on the Suzuki Outboard forum.

https://www.suzukioutboardforum.com/...-power-failure

This white wire is pretty important. It powers the ecu. Actually, it is CRITICAL.

Bad white wire = engine no worky. Or, no worky right. Weird codes. Weird rpm issues. Generally, weird issues. THEREFORE, any weird issues or multiple false codes, first place to look = white wire. Second place = ecu wires and main fuse.

To make it worse there is a join part way along the harness where the white wire splits. This join is usually hidden somewhere between console and engine. If water gets into this joint and corrodes things ....... problems. And it does get in there if the installation allows the harness to get wet.

And yes there is that fuse holder in the white wire near the battery. Get water into that fuse holder and wire corrodes ......

Some dealers, mostly early days, used to take a shortcut and connect the white wire to the starter motor + terminal. Instead of using the supplied extension and running it back into the boat and connecting it either direct to the start battery or to the main battery switch. Which is where it should be. Connecting to the starter motor = problems sooner or later due to voltage drop.

4. Member
    Buy and install a new fuse holder.