Shift seal issue

SN1B389073
    2007 pro xs

Good evening, this weekend I noticed a oil slick behind the boat with the motor tilted all the way up, it appeared to be coming from the gear selector/cav plate area. There is definitely oil reside residing on top of my fav plate, is this indicative of a shift seal failure?

2. Member
    It could be but there’s several possibilities,like drive shaft seal on LU,drive shaft seal at bottom of the block or any other leak running down inside the mid section. Time to go looking.

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    +1... good idea to start by removing the cowling to inspect for any signs of oil leakage inside the cowlings.

If none is found there, drop gearcase for further inspection and/or Gearcase Pressure Testing (as appropriate).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    Thats exactly what happened to mine. The other seals and the water pump there so just change them all out when you drop the lower. Only issue I had was getting the lower back in. Just have someone slightly move the gear handle and it'll pop up in there no problem.
    2014 Bullet 21xrs
    2016 Merc Opti 300hp Serial #1E053115

5. Member
    I had that issue and bought billet pieces from Mad EFI and has never leaked again....
    Ron Fears
    Stroker/300XS
    1E003823