Third battery in the rod locker of a 203?

2003 203 dual console. I'm switching from a 24v to a 36v trolling motor. I really don't want to totally redo all of my batteries and power pole plumbing in the back, not do I want to add more weight back there. I was thinking about putting the third battery in the rear of the port rod locker, butted up against the passenger console. Will this work ok? Any suggestions on how to secure it? Thanks!

2. Member
    What about putting it up under the passenger console ?
    GETFISHED !!!

3. Member
    Maybe. I kinda like that spot for a soft cooler.

4. Member
    I've also wondered about doing this (but on the starboard side) for a deep cycle battery to run all electronics on. Has it been done and does it just kill the boat's performance?

5. TJNYSNP
    I have a 203... i have 3 batteries in the passenger far rear compartment and 3 in the far rear driver compartment

I do not have it handy but it really does drop your top speed down quite a bit adding 70 more lbs to the front side of your boat... you should be able to fit 6 batteries.. 3 and 3 .. in your rear compartments... the farthest ones back

good luck
    Last edited by mohawkman; 11-21-2020 at 07:56 PM.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by stumpjumper1 View Post
    2003 203 dual console. I'm switching from a 24v to a 36v trolling motor. I really don't want to totally redo all of my batteries and power pole plumbing in the back, not do I want to add more weight back there. I was thinking about putting the third battery in the rear of the port rod locker, butted up against the passenger console. Will this work ok? Any suggestions on how to secure it? Thanks!
    Have you thought about lithium batteries? Much smaller and much less weight.
    Ed R.

2006 ChampioN 198 225 Optimax

7. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed R View Post
    Have you thought about lithium batteries? Much smaller and much less weight.
    Yeah, I'd do this before sticking batteries where they don't belong ... OR get you a 198, 206, 200 or 210 and you'll have more than enough room for batteries