Thread: FL70A repower

FL70A repower

I have a nice 2010 Lowe Stinger 170 bass boat that my wife and I enjoy a lot. This is the eleventh boat or canoe my wife and I have owned in 50 years. We purchased this boat with no motor and rigged it special with my own Merc 25 hp outboard and a CMC trim/tilt plate. It was set up this way to fish a specific lake near us that had a 25 hp limit. Since then we moved and upgraded to a 2002 Merc 3 cyl 75 2 stroke. It's a nice engine. but she and I talked about going to a new boat or just updating this one. We decided to upgrade this one.
    First,it gets all new batteries, a new RipTide Ulterra and I am seriously considering repowering with a brand new Yamaha FL70A. How are these lighter weight motors doing as far as issues and reliability? Anyone here running one of these?

2. Member
    The model is F70LA.

The F70LA has been in production for ten years now. Seems to be one of Yamaha's better models.

3. Member
    You are correct sir thank you. It is a F70LA. This motor would actually be a little lighter in weight compared to my 3 cyl Merc. I see they use it on the Alumacraft Pro 175 boats. That is a very similar boat in weight, and dimensions to my hull. So they find it is a good option from the factory.

4. Member
    Hope somebody answers you, I have the same or similar question, how much difference is there in the F70LA and the 75 mercury 4 stroke because there is a hundred pound difference in weight. I don't want to raise the bow in the wind any more than necessary and I prefer a shallow draft over speed. Will the Yamaha 70 put an 18 foot aluminum boat on plane and run 30 mph.

5. Member
    When I was still working at a dealership we sold many boats with these engines. I replaced 1 power head because the customer changed his own oil and put 2 stroke oil back in it. The rest of them I done oil changes and regular maintenance on. Great engine. Also yamaha paid for 100% of his mistake.