2008 Explorer 18 worth?

Has a 2009 Mercury Opti 115 with just what came standard as far as I can tell. Garage kept and looks really nice. Anything specific I need to look for, seems from my search leaf springs are prone to breaking. On the motor can you get a read out on the hours?

if I remember correctly the Explorer boats were entry level boats priced to attract first time buyers
    The accessories were kept to a minimum to keep the price low
    If I was looking to buy one I would make sure they had all of the bells and whistles I need in a boat
    also price it against a top of the line model of the same year
    That way you will know if the deal is right for you

"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles." ~Doug Larson

3. Member
    The Explorer 18 is just a down graded revision of the TR186. It does not have all the bells and whistles that the TR186 has but it's a good starter boat. You can get the motor's hours at a Mercury service shop. I believe its only rated for a 115, where the TR186 is rated for a 150.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AreTheyBiting View Post
    if I remember correctly the Explorer boats were entry level boats priced to attract first time buyers
    The accessories were kept to a minimum to keep the price low
    If I was looking to buy one I would make sure they had all of the bells and whistles I need in a boat
    also price it against a top of the line model of the same year
    That way you will know if the deal is right for you

I own a 2008 Triton Explorer18 with a 115 Optimax. I would agree that this boat was designed for first time boat owners. I was a first time boat owner 6 years ago and this boat fit my budget. It is stripped down - no bells or whistles. However, at the price at bought it at I was able to pay it off in three years. So I am able to add a few bells and whistles.......For my situation with a wife and two daughters I would never be out on the water enough to justify a $50,000 boat sitting my garage with a big monthly payment. Now, I have a paid off boat with a Hummingbird 7 Helix G2N and a new Minn Kota Terrova trolling motor - Added this year. Next year I plan to save a little and get a power pole. It is a great boat for your average Joe fisherman.

I will say this about the Optimax motor. Even after sitting in the garage for 3 months in the winter. She starts up on the first crank - everytime!

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Erc1105 View Post
    I own a 2008 Triton Explorer18 with a 115 Optimax. I would agree that this boat was designed for first time boat owners. I was a first time boat owner 6 years ago and this boat fit my budget. It is stripped down - no bells or whistles. However, at the price at bought it at I was able to pay it off in three years. So I am able to add a few bells and whistles.......For my situation with a wife and two daughters I would never be out on the water enough to justify a $50,000 boat sitting my garage with a big monthly payment. Now, I have a paid off boat with a Hummingbird 7 Helix G2N and a new Minn Kota Terrova trolling motor - Added this year. Next year I plan to save a little and get a power pole. It is a great boat for your average Joe fisherman.

I will say this about the Optimax motor. Even after sitting in the garage for 3 months in the winter. She starts up on the first crank - everytime!

For reference - I bought my 2008 Triton Explorer with a 115 Optimax six years ago for $10,500.

Quote Originally Posted by Tritonal186 View Post
    The Explorer 18 is just a down graded revision of the TR186. It does not have all the bells and whistles that the TR186 has but it's a good starter boat. You can get the motor's hours at a Mercury service shop. I believe its only rated for a 115, where the TR186 is rated for a 150.
    I had a 2008 TR186 and it was rated for a 175 but had a 150. It was a great boat. Only reason I got rid of it is because I wanted a bigger boat. I had no issues with the trailer right up until the wheel came of on I95 (was my fault not the trailers). That said, I would not have been happy with it if it only had a 115. With a 115 you'll have to run WOT to run at the speed I cruised at with a 150. Also, if you put a bunch of gear, two guys and full up the livewells it will be slow getting on plane. JMO.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow