Caymas CX21 VS Triton 21TRX

I would really enjoy seeing an unbiased side by side comparison of the Caymas CX21Pro VS Triton 21TRX. Quality, fit and finish, performance, etc. I would also like to see the comparison reviewed with a Mercury 250 ProXS 4S. I have had (5) Tritons in the past 18 years. My current boat is a 2017 Triton 21TRX w/ Mercury 250 ProXS 2S. I'm really leaning towards the Caymas CX21 Pro for my next ride. I know there are some previous loyal Triton owners that have made the switch to Caymas.

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by stein3411 View Post
    I would really enjoy seeing an unbiased side by side comparison of the Caymas CX21Pro VS Triton 21TRX. Quality, fit and finish, performance, etc. I would also like to see the comparison reviewed with a Mercury 250 ProXS 4S. I have had (5) Tritons in the past 18 years. My current boat is a 2017 Triton 21TRX w/ Mercury 250 ProXS 2S. I'm really leaning towards the Caymas CX21 Pro for my next ride. I know there are some previous loyal Triton owners that have made the switch to Caymas.
    And don't just stop with the boat, I would also like to hear your thoughts on the trailers.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by stein3411 View Post
    And don't just stop with the boat, I would also like to hear your thoughts on the trailers.

4. Member
    id say in beginning, Caymas had some issues. after a year of working through issues, Caymas now has a good fit and finish.

5. BBC SPONSOR
    I was a 2 time Triton owner. I traded a 2015 20trx for a cx 20 pro. Everything about it to me is a little better. Fit and finish, better carpet, even a better ride. The Triton felt like I was driving a big boat. The Caymas feels like I'm driving a sports car once I got it propped right. I have a better top end and a ridiculous hole shot.

I don't regret my choice at all even tho the original 4 stroke gave me fits. I got it replaced under warranty and the new one has been perfect.

The trailer is the best towing trailer I've ever owned, and the easiest to load. Not sure about the 2x4 bunks, but so far I haven't had an issue with them. I pulled it from Ohio to Texas without an issue this past summer.

My boat was number 14 out of the mold and I love it. Even if you went with another Triton I doubt you'd be disappointed, but from having owned both I'd pick my Caymas everytime.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Buck456 View Post
    I was a 2 time Triton owner. I traded a 2015 20trx for a cx 20 pro. Everything about it to me is a little better. Fit and finish, better carpet, even a better ride. The Triton felt like I was driving a big boat. The Caymas feels like I'm driving a sports car once I got it propped right. I have a better top end and a ridiculous hole shot.

I don't regret my choice at all even tho the original 4 stroke gave me fits. I got it replaced under warranty and the new one has been perfect.

The trailer is the best towing trailer I've ever owned, and the easiest to load. Not sure about the 2x4 bunks, but so far I haven't had an issue with them. I pulled it from Ohio to Texas without an issue this past summer.

My boat was number 14 out of the mold and I love it. Even if you went with another Triton I doubt you'd be disappointed, but from having owned both I'd pick my Caymas everytime.
    What prop are you running now?
    2020 Caymas CX20

7. BBC SPONSOR
    Quote Originally Posted by stepup View Post
    What prop are you running now?
    I'm running a worked 25 tempest plus.. It's probably closer to a 24.5.
    I've ran a worked 26 tempest plus, stock 24 and 25 fury. The 24 fury isn't to bad, but I need to run it more. The 26 tempest and 25 fury both was to much prop for me.

8. Member
    I'm running a worked 25 tempest plus.. It's probably closer to a 24.5.
    I've ran a worked 26 tempest plus, stock 24 and 25 fury. The 24 fury isn't to bad, but I need to run it more. The 26 tempest and 25 fury both was to much prop for me.
    Who did your work Mark???
    He can take that and get close to other folks set ups, he's the best for sure. !!

9. BBC SPONSOR
    Quote Originally Posted by RangerRodney View Post
    Who did your work Mark???
    He can take that and get close to other folks set ups, he's the best for sure. !!
    Yes sir, Mark did my work. He's pretty amazing at what he does.

10. Member
    Buck456 - What kind of numbers are you seeing with that worked tempest?

11. BBC SPONSOR
    Quote Originally Posted by DMart1 View Post
    Buck456 - What kind of numbers are you seeing with that worked tempest?
    With the new motor I've hit 77.3 alone with 3/4 tank of gas. With 2 people I've hit a little over 74 with simular fuel. My original motor was close, but the replacement so far seems a little stronger. I only have 7.5 hrs on my current motor. The original motor had almost 70 hrs of inconsistent running. I'm so glad Merc stepped up and replaced it.

When I take it in for my 20 hr service I'm going to have them install a 2 degree positive wedge. I truly feel I will gain another mph or 2, bc right now I run out of trim. Meaning I trim the boat all the way up and I try to bump the trim down I loose speed at all the engine heights I've tried..

When I take it in for my 20 hr service I'm going to have them install a 2 degree positive wedge. I truly feel I will gain another mph or 2, bc right now I run out of trim. Meaning I trim the boat all the way up and I try to bump the trim down I loose speed at all the engine heights I've tried..
    As someone that is very interested in a CX19, I find this a little disconcerting. Is this a design flaw? It just seems a little surprising for someone that has been building bass boats as along as Earl Bentz. Any thoughts?
    There was a time that I didn't fish but I cannot remember it.

13. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Macsimus View Post
    As someone that is very interested in a CX19, I find this a little disconcerting. Is this a design flaw? It just seems a little surprising for someone that has been building bass boats as along as Earl Bentz. Any thoughts?
    Mercury is pretty notorious for needing trim extenders or a wedge to get enough trim out of them. I wouldn't go chunking rocks at the boat.

Quote Originally Posted by Tx Champ View Post
    Mercury is pretty notorious for needing trim extenders or a wedge to get enough trim out of them. I wouldn't go chunking rocks at the boat.
    No rock chunking intended. As I mentioned in my post, I'm keenly interested in a CX19. I've been in a BCB Cougar for the last 7 years and it's very easy to overtrim that hull with a Merc 250 Pro XS on it. Ditto for most of BCB's hulls. So it's a little hard for me to get used to the idea of adding wedges just to get more trim.
    There was a time that I didn't fish but I cannot remember it.

I know my last boat (triton 20 hp), you mashed the throttle and laid on the trim switch until it stoped. Boat ran great, maybe its just a Earl designed boat way of life. I'm not getting any younger and thought my current boat was my last, but Caymas has my interest for sure.
    2022 Caymas cx20pro 250 Pro XS s/n 3B099812

16. BBC SPONSOR
    I think a 2 degree wedge would give me a mph or 2 more. However 77+ mph alone and 74 mph with a partner to me doesn't signal a design flaw in my book. Lol. Maybe thats just me. Have to rember my numbers are with a motor with less than 8 hrs on it.
    Last edited by Buck456; 12-20-2020 at 07:17 PM.

17. BBC SPONSOR
    Quote Originally Posted by Macsimus View Post
    No rock chunking intended. As I mentioned in my post, I'm keenly interested in a CX19. I've been in a BCB Cougar for the last 7 years and it's very easy to overtrim that hull with a Merc 250 Pro XS on it. Ditto for most of BCB's hulls. So it's a little hard for me to get used to the idea of adding wedges just to get more trim.
    My cousin has a Cougar. He has fished with me many times and would much rather have a Caymas. I actually taught him how to drive his Cougar, bc he had no clue. I enjoyed driving his boat, but wouldn't trade him for nothing. Yes, you are correct you can over trim a Cougar. They are also fast boats, but to me they don't fish as nice as a Caymas.