Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Some IL questions

Howdy folks! I just found out today that I’ll be moving to Scott AFB in March. I’m coming from Omaha, Nebraska so it’s not like I’m moving all that far in the grand scheme of things.

I was curious about how the fishing is around there. I’m well aware that a lot of guys go down to fish LOZ or other Missouri lakes but I was more interested in the southern IL lakes. Are any of them any good? Do any of them freeze hard enough for ice fishing? Because I’m not going to lie, it would be pretty nice to be somewhere that doesn’t really get any hard water anymore.

Bonus side question, what’s the deer hunting like out there. I’m a bow hunter and will be limited to public land.
    2007 Triton TR-21X w/ Pro XS 250
    6" T&H Hi Jacker w/ 2" spacers
    26P Tempest

2. Member
    Welcome to Illinois! Quite a few lakes to fish within 2 hours of scott. Not the best fishing lakes in the world, but plenty of options. I think it is rare for southern IL lakes to freeze over good enough to ice fish, but they can get ice on them. I live in NW IL so I’m not an expert on the area. I’m sure others will have better local knowledge . Once again welcome to IL

3. Member
    Welcome to Illinois! Not real common to hear anyone moving here but considering your reason, I understand. Most are exiting at an all time high.

There is plenty of good fish'n in Southern Il and a lot of good public land bowhunting opportunities as well. Most of the lakes South of I-70 don't freeze over completely and there are several power plant lakes that offer 12 month soft water fish'n. A lot of people complain about Illinois (myself included) but there is a huge difference between what happens North of I-80 and what the rest of us do in the real world.

Quote Originally Posted by Philly View Post
    There is plenty of good fish'n in Southern Il and a lot of good public land bowhunting opportunities as well. Most of the lakes South of I-70 don't freeze over completely and there are several power plant lakes that offer 12 month soft water fish'n. A lot of people complain about Illinois (myself included) but there is a huge difference between what happens North of I-80 and what the rest of us do in the real world.
    Well all of that sure sounds promising! I can’t tell you how nice it would be to not have put my boat away for months at a time!

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Philly View Post
    true words in fact I suggest you never go North of i80

7. Member
    Hunting will be better than fishing most of the time!!!!!

8. Member
    Don't let people fool you . You have some incredible bass fishing lake within a decent drive, Egypt, Rend, Little grassy, Crab orchard, just to name a few if you go north there are some others that really can get hot as well. Ice fishing you are out of luck to be honest but if you have a boat you are really only shut down two months. Deer hunting is great as well as dove, goose and Duck. I live just north of i-80 and it's a shit storm up here . Seriously, go to a cubs game but other then that stay South.

9. Member
    Big deer dude ! bring your shotgun or bow I guess.

Sounds great! I’m getting a little more excited the more I learn about it. To be honest, I was a little upset when I found out where I was going. Not that I think IL is bad. It’s just that we were really hoping for something in the south east. Instead, my assignment history after 20 years of service will be Oklahoma, North Dakota, Nebraska, and Illinois with a short vacation in South Korea. Not exactly the assignments that we all hope for.

11. BBC SPONSOR
    I grew up fishing in S. Ill. & you have options there. Rend Lake will be fairly close but, I would not go there till May. If you go in February & March you will never go back & April can be it or, miss. Lake of Egypt will be your best bet for numbers & you can fish just about any style. Crab Orchard is kind of a hit or, miss Lake, if you like fishing very shallow. Carlyle has been getting better but, I was never a fan. There are a few 9.9 restricted Lakes little Grassy, Cedar, & devils Kitchen. Egypt & Rend get A LOT of Tournament pressure.

Steve look me up when you get here. I'm retired AF and work on base. I'd be glad to give you the lay of the land!
    2007 Basscat PII Anniversary Edition/200 Opti

Greetings and welcome to the area. I live in a town next to the base. Most of the local lakes have been mentioned But there are others such as Stephen Forbes, several great strip pits and some that require a permit. Deer hunting is great as I have 2 that scored in the 140s and I’m not a trophy hunter.
    several great schools in the area if you have kids.
    Enjoying life in Southern Illinois

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis1 View Post
    Steve look me up when you get here. I'm retired AF and work on base. I'd be glad to give you the lay of the land!
    Will do and thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by illinifish View Post
    Greetings and welcome to the area. I live in a town next to the base. Most of the local lakes have been mentioned But there are others such as Stephen Forbes, several great strip pits and some that require a permit. Deer hunting is great as I have 2 that scored in the 140s and I’m not a trophy hunter.
    several great schools in the area if you have kids.
    We do have kids, three of them. Two of which will be in school next fall. Any areas we should avoid?

16. Member
    I grew up in O'Fallon. I got a tour of the high school when I was down there for a reunion. I think you'll be impressed with the schools and the area. I think it's required you become a Cardinals fan so be prepared!
    LEGEND ALPHA 199DCX / 225 PRO XS MERCURY

Quote Originally Posted by STEVE81 View Post
    We do have kids, three of them. Two of which will be in school next fall. Any areas we should avoid?
    I sent you a PM.
    Enjoying life in Southern Illinois

Quote Originally Posted by Rips LEGEND View Post
    I grew up in O'Fallon. I got a tour of the high school when I was down there for a reunion. I think you'll be impressed with the schools and the area. I think it's required you become a Cardinals fan so be prepared!
    They will have to turn me into a baseball fan first.

19. Member
    Don't forget kincaid lake, or lake shelbyville. I'm not sure how the kaskaskia river is fishing.

I live in highland, 10,000 people, not far from Scott. Good schools. We have a farm and home store, two lumberyards, hardware store, couple of grocery stores, three auto parts stores, and a bar for every church!
    Troy would be another good spot for you. As would breese, or aviston.
    Within an hour's drive, multiple boat dealers also.

Quote Originally Posted by Skunked again View Post
    Don't forget kincaid lake, or lake shelbyville. I'm not sure how the kaskaskia river is fishing.

I live in highland, 10,000 people, not far from Scott. Good schools. We have a farm and home store, two lumberyards, hardware store, couple of grocery stores, three auto parts stores, and a bar for every church!
    Troy would be another good spot for you. As would breese, or aviston.
    Within an hour's drive, multiple boat dealers also.
    Thank you!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast