2b524697 2017 250poxs adapter

bought adapter 896542AO1 ,this adapter has 11 pins and the wiring harness that is on the boat that the motor came off of has 14 pins, can some help me figure out what I need and if this is the harness I need ,what are the missing 3 pins for,,,, the adapter I bought says 8 t0 14 pin

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    If the wiring harness is a 14 pin wiring harness, YOU DO NOT NEED ANY ADAPTER to install 2B524697.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    the adapter with 14 pin is on the boat I took the 2017 motor off of, the boat im putting the 2017 had 2003 motor,, I was going to leave the 14 pin harness in the boat to repower it,, I think I have the right adater896542AO1

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    896542A01 is designed to connect to an EARLIER (cannon-plug style) keyswitch harness, and adapt it to a 14 pin engine.

That should be the correct adapter for your needs... thanks for clarifying what you actually have.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    what are the steps to changing the wiring harness,, I think I am going to have to swap the harness , the boat I took the 2017 motor off of has smart craft and I would like to keep it with motor, the boat I put the motor on has cannon plug style,,, am I correct on harness swap

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Installing a 14 pin harness for each engine would be the "simplest" method. There are a couple of possible configurations of the Smartcraft network at the console, however.

Take pictures of what you have behind the dash or in the console... we can go from there.