Electric over Hydraulic brakes

Hi All

I need to replace the Actuator on my brake system. I have a Nitro Z7 single axel trailer with surge disc brakes.
    I had the entire drive train replaced this summer. Axel, hubs, brakes, calipers....all are new.
    When they went to bleed the brakes they found that the actuator is bad.

I am thinking of going to electric over Hydraulic instead of replacing the actuator.

Just wondering if any of you have converted to this and if it is something that I could install or needs to be done by a shop?
    I don't have a lot experience with Surge Brakes.

I have a 2018 Tundra which is equipped with a brake controller.

last is what size would be right for my boat/trailer? My z7 is probably on the heavier side with a 200hp, jackplate, Powerpoles, and dual console.

Thanks in advance for any input you might be able to give!
    Always "Huntin" the IA Bass!

Boat: Nitro Z7
    Primary Propulsion Unit: 200 Optimax ProXS
    Vertical Depth Propulsion Adjustment: 8" Bobs Action Jack
    Underwater Surveillance: Solix10 G2 Console & Solix10 G1 Bow
    Anchoring: Powerpole, Ultrex Spot Lock
    Dynamic Positioning System: Ultrex i-pilot Link

won't last, but then again have never seen a boat with electric brakes.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

3. Member
    Just rebuild the actuator! Go to auto parts store
    Bill Perry
    Zwolle, LA (Toledo Bend)
    bpicinc_2000@yahoo.com
    2001 ZX-250 VMAX 225. HDS-9 Carbon, HDS-7Carbon, 3D Sonar, HB 998c hd si, Active Target, MG Tour Pro 36v, 12" Slide Master
    USN, USS Newport News CA-148

4. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    $600 for the cheapest electric/hydraulic actuator plus a controller for the truck if you don’t have one, a battery mounted to the trailer, a switch to 7-pin wiring and all the work mounting that stuff to the tongue. Compared to less than $200 for a new surge brake actuator that can be installed in a couple of hours.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

won't last, but then again have never seen a boat with electric brakes.
    None of the newer major bass boat trailers use them for a reason.. Lots of older boats had electric drum brakes and were a PIA
    IMO electric over hydraulic brakes are the absolute best setup for large trailers. Overkill and expensive for a bass boat .
    The brakes are hydraulic disc just like surge brakes on your boat trailer.. The difference is instead of surge activation there is a hydraulic pump with a 12 volt motor attached to the trailer that runs off your trucks electronic brake system.

Most all Inclosed race car trailers have electric over Hydraulic. Surge brakes are chit on a car hauler

7. ourflat
    I have electric brakes on one axle on my pontoon boat trailer. Real life saver when moving boat around my house that has hills when parking.

Quote Originally Posted by ourflat View Post
    I have electric brakes on one axle on my pontoon boat trailer. Real life saver when moving boat around my house that has hills when parking.

Had them on a single axle boat trailer. NEVER had a problem with them. Best thing was adjusting the amount of braking with the controller on wet or slippery roads.

9. Member
    I would just replace the master in the actuator, the part will cost a lot less than an electric/hydro setup and should be problem free for a while. I will also be the first to tell you electric/hydro brakes are not problem free by a long shot. I have then on my travel trailer and i have had to fix those more on the three years we have had it than i have my Nitro trailer in the 12 i have had that..... I have already had the pump fail last summer and the controller that runs the pump failed this summer, both required a total replacement of the actuator since they do not sell the parts on their own, once under warranty and once on my dime to the tune of $800 for just the part. Back when i had my Chevy i had to buy an adapter as well for the factory brake controller to work with it( they are apparently not universal which is dumb) which i then had to remove when i got my RAM. You also need a place to mount a small battery for the breakaway system as well.

If your trailer has the Tiedown LP70 actuator the kit to replace the master is 127 bucks, i would also recommend replacing the reverse solenoid and breakaway cable while you are in there.
    https://www.easternmarine.com/tie-do...der-kit-47267k

I had to do mine after 12 years this summer, the master was all corroded and needed to be replaced. Got a good 12 years out of it tho and other than flushing the fluid i never had to touch it until this summer. Probably 45k miles on it at a minimum.
    Last edited by jb882; 11-17-2020 at 01:36 PM.

I have then on my travel trailer

Do you know what brand it was ?
    We had a lot better luck with the two we used in the country. Didn't need an adapter with the Ford or Dodge. The ability to apply only the trailer brakes at times when hauling live cattle in bad weather would spoil you.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishnfireman View Post

Do you know what brand it was ?
    We had a lot better luck with the two we used in the country. Didn't need an adapter with the Ford or Dodge. The ability to apply only the trailer brakes at times when hauling live cattle in bad weather would spoil you.

Yep, my actuator is a Titan Brakerite II. This one needs an adapter for 6-12 Ford or 07 to current GM.

Edit: if it croaks again im getting a Dexter.
    Last edited by jb882; 11-17-2020 at 04:11 PM.

12. Banned
    do a search on your brake controller, at one time there were issues with factory built in brake controllers and electric over hydraulic systems. Dont recall the details.

But as mentioned above WHY ? what wasnt working before ? Bunch of money bunch of work for what gain ?