Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

New Apex Now on Humminbird Web Site... Looks to be Built on Solix Platform

It looks like the Apex announcement is official as the units are on the Humminbird web site this morning... https://www.humminbird.com/learn/fis...er-series/apex

It looks like it is built on the Solix platform as the controls are pretty much the same as the Solix and it is also touchscreen.

Here are a few things I noticed in my initial comparison to the Solix 15 SI+ Specs:

• It comes with the same transducer as the Solix
    • There are 13" ($4,000), 16" ($4,500), and 19" ($5,000) models
    • The resolution has been increased to full HD... 1920 x 1080 vs the Solix 1280 x 800. That should really help on the larger units.
    • Largest screen in the Humminbird line... 19" Apex at 16" x 20" vs the 15" Solix at 11" x 15"... A huge jump!
    • Added a second ethernet connection which allows you to connect 2 ethernet devices without needing a hub
    • Added a second transducer port (Dual Transducer Ports) with a second sonar channel which provides an independent connection for accessory 2D CHIRP transducer up to 2 kilowatt and includes Airmar transducer ID, which provides simple configuration of settings for optimal sonar returns. I verified with Humminbird that this 2nd Transducer port won't work for the Mega 360... You will still need the "Y" cable (same one used for the Solix).
    • Added Dual HDMI ports (1 input and 1 output) which will allow the connection of recording devices and other "dumb" displays
    • View Preset Keys - I don't see any additional buttons from the Solix so this may be an error in the specs listed on the Humminbird site. If not, then maybe some of the buttons double as view preset buttons. These keys exist on the Helix and other "legacy" units but have never existed on the Onix or Solix.
    • Micro SD card rather than full SD card. This shouldn't be a problem as most of the fishing cards are actually Micro SD cards inside of a full SD enclosure. You would just slip the tiny Micro SD card out of the full SD enclosure. I have both a Hotmaps card and ZeroLines card and they both have the Micro SD cards inside the full SD enclosure. The problem is that they aren't marked so it will be difficult to determine what is what if you have multiple cards. You may want to still store them in the full enclosure when not installed in the Apex.
    • 4.5 Amp Draw rather than 4.0 Amp of the new Solix G3 (same as G2 Solix)
    • New PC13 Power Cord. It appears to be a heavier gauge and has a different pin arrangement than the Solix/Onix PC12 power cable.
    • One thing which I noticed was missing is the ability to attach a ball plate on the back of the unit. It has the gimble but not the flat area with 4 screws for the ball attachment.

Here is the official Humminbird announcement... https://www.humminbird.com/news/arti...E0MTI2OTk4NwS2

I'm sure there are other specs that are different as well but that's what jumped out at me upon initial review. Maybe others can chime in on things they have caught as well.

There are now some Apex specific accessories posted on the Humminbird Web Site:

New Power Cord (PC13) - https://humminbird.johnsonoutdoors.c...ex-power-cable
    HDMI Cable - https://humminbird.johnsonoutdoors.c...mi-video-cable
    Apex GPS Adapter Cable - https://humminbird.johnsonoutdoors.c...ex-gps-adapter

As new items come in, I will update this first post with the added features and changes.

Added 12/13/2020 - The NMEA 0183 Port has changed on the Apex. If you currently have the AS GPS or AS GPS HS puck connected to a Solix, your current cable will not work with the Apex. The NMEA 0183 port on the APEX is totally different than the Solix. You will need to purchase the new Apex GPS Adapter Cable listed above.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by SLYDoggie; 12-13-2020 at 09:24 AM. Reason: Continually updating this initial post as new information comes in so continue to check back.
    ---> Regards, Steve Yarbrough (AKA: SLYDoggieTN on YouTube)
    • Apex 19/16/13, Mega 360, and Mega Live
    • Minn Kota Ulterra Quest Trolling Motor
    • (2) Cannon Optimum Bluetooth Downriggers
    • Impulse Lithium Batteries... 36V 60AH for Trolling Motor, (2) 12V 120AH for Cranking & Electronics, 12V 60AH for Downriggers

2. Member
    • Dual HDMI, 1 input and 1 output

3. Humminbird Moderator SLYDoggie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ond View Post
    Thanks for that catch. I updated the original post.
    • Impulse Lithium Batteries... 36V 60AH for Trolling Motor, (2) 12V 120AH for Cranking & Electronics, 12V 60AH for Downriggers

Dual transducer ports:

" APEX’s second sonar channel provides an independent connection for accessory 2D CHIRP transducers up to 2 kilowatts and includes AirmarŪ transducer ID, which provides simple configuration of settings for optimal sonar returns."
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

It is basically a blackboxless update to the ION aimed at the blue water market.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

6. Member
    The 19 is only 4.5 amps. The weight might be too much for that type of mount. Weight not listed and they may want to give a wind load stat as well! That is a Jumbotron
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ond View Post
    Been thinking about that. A generator and one of these hooked to it! https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-88-c...?skuId=6401911
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

8. Humminbird Moderator SLYDoggie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne P. View Post
    Dual transducer ports:

" APEX’s second sonar channel provides an independent connection for accessory 2D CHIRP transducers up to 2 kilowatts and includes AirmarŪ transducer ID, which provides simple configuration of settings for optimal sonar returns."
    Thanks Wayne. I added this to the feature list.

9. Humminbird Moderator SLYDoggie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bobcoy View Post
    Been thinking about that. A generator and one of these hooked to it! https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-88-c...?skuId=6401911
    I know you were joking but it really does open things up to having a larger display in a different part of the boat... Just need a 12V panel so you don't have to have a generator

Quote Originally Posted by SLYDoggie View Post
    I know you were joking but it really does open things up to having a larger display in a different part of the boat... Just need a 12V panel so you don't have to have a generator
    Not only that, one that is sunlight readable and waterproof. Do a search for 12V High Bright Waterproof Monitors.
    I did that about 10 years ago since the 1198c SI Combo has a composite video-out port.
    The ONIX has a HDMI-out port that worked for a while before a software update killed it.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

11. Humminbird Moderator SLYDoggie's Avatar
    Not only that, one that is sunlight readable and waterproof. Do a search for 12V High Bright Waterproof Monitors.
    I did that about 10 years ago since the 1198c SI Combo has a composite video-out port.
    The ONIX has a HDMI-out port that worked for a while before a software update killed it.
    I bet they exist. I just did a quick search and came across this... https://vartechsystems.com/products/...AaAnwpEALw_wcB

I bet they exist. I just did a quick search and came across this... https://vartechsystems.com/products/...AaAnwpEALw_wcB
    I know they exist, check the prices.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

13. Member
    Do you think this was released to run Mega Live? Or totally different use case? The upgraded processor is why I ask. Although the Helix G4N states mega live ready. I am tired of waiting for Humminbird to get in the live market.

Quote Originally Posted by WVUMountie View Post
    Do you think this was released to run Mega Live? Or totally different use case? The upgraded processor is why I ask. Although the Helix G4N states mega live ready. I am tired of waiting for Humminbird to get in the live market.
    I think the APEX is the updated ION targeting the blue water market--sort of a hint with the boat pictures not being a bass boat.
    SOLIX is the updated ONIX.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

15. Humminbird Moderator SLYDoggie's Avatar
    I think the APEX is the updated ION targeting the blue water market--sort of a hint with the boat pictures not being a bass boat.
    SOLIX is the updated ONIX.
    Wayne, from what I remember, the ION was an in dash only unit and the Apex is both in dash or gimble mount (like the Solix). I think it would be at home on a bass boat or blue-water boat. To me, it looks like an "upgrade" from the Solix, although with the price of the Apex, I don't see the Solix going away just yet.

16. Humminbird Moderator SLYDoggie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WVUMountie View Post
    The dual processor on the Apex looks to be the same that Humminbird announced on the new Solix G3 which will soon be shipping. There is still speculation on whether Mega Live will be an ethernet device, so that the processing is done on the Mega Live unit (outboard of the head unit), or just a transducer using the processing power of the head unit. There is tons of speculation so we won't really know until Humminbird breaks with the announcement.

17. Member
    Good luck HB. No Live!
    No more of my $$$.

18. Member
    a nice update for sure :) like the more blue water focus from Hbird. :)
    looking forward to trying out marine monitors out on these humminbirds too :D

19. Member
    There is still speculation on whether Mega Live will be an ethernet device, so that the processing is done on the Mega Live unit (outboard of the head unit)
    I would guess it's WiFi device. That would fit well with the comments that G3N doesn't support Mega Live. Otherwise it's hard to see why G3N couldn't support it but G4N would

20. Member
    Features that will appeal to the blue water market. Dominated by Simrad, Raymarine, Lowrance, Garmin and Furuno.
    Last edited by Treeguyus; 11-17-2020 at 04:40 AM.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast