Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pfisher View Post
    The first thing I thought about when I saw it :-) I'm sure it will work just like G and L does.

I could care less about the size or screen resolution but I used to run my Vu plugged into a Lowrance unit. That is one feature I miss on the birds. Can't wait to have it again!

This is one of the things that pisses me off ABOUT MY BIRDS no video in on the Helix units.

2. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by TomP. View Post
    This is one of the things that pisses me off ABOUT MY BIRDS no video in on the Helix units.
    You don't get that with the lower end units on any brand. The difference between the birds and others is you still get a great image no matter the price.

3. Member
    It is tough to stay on top of all the changes in technology but things have changed quite a bit with regards to imaging quality in the past few years. Lowrance's (Ti2) units were priced similar to Helix G3 units and produced great imaging also. If Mega Imaging is better than Active Imaging, it is only at very short range and even at very short range the difference is slight. Garmin's imaging was a definite step down from what I have seen, but my understanding is that may have changed now with the GT56 transducer. Nice that it is compatible with older headunits also.

Lowrance HDS units have had video-in capability for around 6-7 years I think. Good to see Humminbird add that feature to the Apex line because it is a valuable feature.

4. Humminbird Moderator SLYDoggie's Avatar
    There still doesn't appear to be an uploaded Apex Operations/User guide but Humminbird did just post a new Apex/Solix Quick Start Guide link in the Apex product detail pages (not in the Support/Manuals section yet). I was wondering if there would be any functional differences between the Apex and Solix units and it does appear that the Home Screen for the Apex has been redesigned to take advantage of the larger screen sizes as well as the higher resolution. That's the only difference I could find in this combined Quick Start Guide.

Here is the link to the new Apex/Solix Quick Start Guide... https://humminbird.johnsonoutdoors.c...SG_532549E.pdf
    ---> Regards, Steve Yarbrough (AKA: SLYDoggieTN on YouTube)
    • Apex 19/16/13, Mega 360, and Mega Live
    • Minn Kota Ulterra Quest Trolling Motor
    • (2) Cannon Optimum Bluetooth Downriggers
    • Impulse Lithium Batteries... 36V 60AH for Trolling Motor, (2) 12V 120AH for Cranking & Electronics, 12V 60AH for Downriggers

5. Member
    Thanks for the heads-up! I read through the Quick start. No surprises, but The section on water level offset brings up a question for me. Is anyone able to use the touchscreen to set the water level offset? I touch the option but these old fingers cant handle getting to the exact footage I want. Have to use the dial. No biggie, just curious.
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

6. Humminbird Moderator SLYDoggie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bobcoy View Post
    Thanks for the heads-up! I read through the Quick start. No surprises, but The section on water level offset brings up a question for me. Is anyone able to use the touchscreen to set the water level offset? I touch the option but these old fingers cant handle getting to the exact footage I want. Have to use the dial. No biggie, just curious.
    I also use the dial on things like that... Much easier to get it exactly where you want it. I also use the dial on things like depth settings, SI coverage settings, Sensitivity, Contrast, and etc. Although I use the heck out of the touch capability of the Solix, I feel that there are still some things which just lend themselves better to mechanical processes rather than touch.
    • Impulse Lithium Batteries... 36V 60AH for Trolling Motor, (2) 12V 120AH for Cranking & Electronics, 12V 60AH for Downriggers

7. Member
    According to Humminbird c/s the Apex will network with the solix. We shall see, wouldn't be the first time I have been given false information

8. Humminbird Moderator SLYDoggie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ntslam View Post
    According to Humminbird c/s the Apex will network with the solix. We shall see, wouldn't be the first time I have been given false information
    Hopefully they won't do what they did with the Onix. Initially the Onix and Solix networked together but pretty early into the Solix they had a software update which broke the network link. Humminbird let you know that I'm case you wanted to not install the update to keep them networked.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SLYDoggie View Post
    Hopefully they won't do what they did with the Onix. Initially the Onix and Solix networked together but pretty early into the Solix they had a software update which broke the network link. Humminbird let you know that I'm case you wanted to not install the update to keep them networked.
    Yeah that really sucked. I think that was mainly due to the onix being discontinued

Quote Originally Posted by ntslam View Post
    Yeah that really sucked. I think that was mainly due to the onix being discontinued
    It thinks it was more because the ONIX could not keep up with the features and menus that the SOLIX was getting.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

11. Humminbird Moderator SLYDoggie's Avatar
    This Image was posted on a Mega Live thread and was reported to have come from a distributor friend. The intent was to show the expected ship date for the Mega Live unit but the image also shows the various Apex units as well as the new Apex PC13 Power Cable. While these types of things are subject to change, this shows that the Apex is expected to start shipping on 1/15 while the power cable is 12/18.

12. Humminbird Moderator SLYDoggie's Avatar
    I just discovered that the NMEA 0183 port on the Apex is totally different than the NMEA 0183 port on the Solix... It's much smaller. If you currently have an AS GPS puck or AS GPS HS puck attached to your Solix, that NMEA 0183 cable (Item # 720080-1) will not work with the Apex. You will need the new Apex AS GPS Cable (Item # 720113-1) listed in my original post.

Here are Pictures of the back of the Solix and Apex... The NMEA 0183 port on the Apex is the second from the left on the bottom row of ports:

Of course you will need an adapter

And 100% it will not be included with the unit

That's all part of HB's profit portfolio
    "The handicapped angler"

14. Member
    Just some info for those that are considering dual Solix G3 12s vs a single Apex 19 at the console:

Apex 19: $5,000
    Solix 12: $5,700 (Dual)

Apex 19: 146 square inches of active screen area (16.141" x 9.057")
    Solix 12: 132 square inches of active screen area (10.280" x 6.425" x 2) Dual

Apex 19: 20.28" x 11.67" Total Unit Dimensions
    Solix 12: 27.64" x 9.55" Total Unit Dimensions (Dual)

Apex 19: 1920x1080 Resolution
    Solix 12: 1280x800 Resolution

Apex 19: 4.5 Amp draw
    Solix 12: 5.76 Amp draw (Dual)

Apex 19: HDMI YES
    Solix 12: HDMI NO

So the Apex 19 is $34 per square inch of viewing area and the Solix 12s are $43 per square inch of viewing area (26% more). In addition to the better value, the Apex 19 takes up less space, has less amp draw, higher resolution, and has HDMI ports for an aqua vu camera. The dual Solix 12s would provide redundancy at the console should one unit go down and they are about 2 inches shorter for seeing over. They both use the same transducer XM 14 HW MSI T.
    Last edited by Hydro870; 12-15-2020 at 05:11 PM.

15. Member
    Good points. The 12 has a few more PPI than the 19.so the resolution is pretty much a wash. You can display more individual windows (8 opposed to 4) giving additional options Including full screen width for si. Left on one unit and right on the other. Depends on what screens you like to use. Still very much personal. I say if someone has a bottomless pocket, 2 Apex 13's is top of the heap for me.

Quote Originally Posted by bobcoy View Post
    Good points. The 12 has a few more PPI than the 19.so the resolution is pretty much a wash. You can display more individual windows (8 opposed to 4) giving additional options Including full screen width for si. Left on one unit and right on the other. Depends on what screens you like to use. Still very much personal. I say if someone has a bottomless pocket, 2 Apex 13's is top of the heap for me.
    The S12" has about 2,300 more pixels per square inch than the A19"
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

17. Member
    That’s a good point, the pixels per square inch is actually pretty similar between the Apex 19 and Solix 12, slight advantage to the Solix 12. You would need to downsize the Apex to take advantage of the higher resolution.

18. Member
    Didn't calculate the % but it is a bit better. Both good.

Quote Originally Posted by Hydro870 View Post
    Just some info for those that are considering dual Solix G3 12s vs a single Apex 19 at the console:

Apex 19: $5,000
    Solix 12: $5,700 (Dual)

Apex 19: 146 square inches of active screen area (16.141" x 9.057")
    Solix 12: 132 square inches of active screen area (10.280" x 6.425" x 2) Dual

Apex 19: 20.28" x 11.67" Total Unit Dimensions
    Solix 12: 27.64" x 9.55" Total Unit Dimensions (Dual)

Apex 19: 1920x1080 Resolution
    Solix 12: 1280x800 Resolution

Apex 19: 4.5 Amp draw
    Solix 12: 5.76 Amp draw (Dual)

Apex 19: HDMI YES
    Solix 12: HDMI NO

So the Apex 19 is $34 per square inch of viewing area and the Solix 12s are $43 per square inch of viewing area (26% more). In addition to the better value, the Apex 19 takes up less space, has less amp draw, higher resolution, and has HDMI ports for an aqua vu camera. The dual Solix 12s would provide redundancy at the console should one unit go down and they are about 2 inches shorter for seeing over. They both use the same transducer XM 14 HW MSI T.
    Using a single 19 could also save the cost of an Ethernet switch for a new installation.
    __________________________________________________ ___

**Looking for the one that makes it all worthwhile**
    __________________________________________________ ___

Units ..... 1197 (6.310) ...1198 (6.490) ... Helix 12 MSI G3N

20. Member
    I suppose if you have an Ultrex, 360, Live, 2 bow graphs, and 2 console graphs that would be 7 items, 6 of which are ethernet. The ethernet switch only has 5 plugs, you would need a second switch to run this setup.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast