Livescope options - 10in vs 12in

Is 10 inch big enough to see good enough? I'm about to purchase a setup for livescope and am trying to be as efficient $$$$ wise as I can. Is the 1042xsv a good unit? I'd be using it for livescope only, as I will leave my 10in Helix for mapping. And I hear about prospective mounts? Should I get one? I'll be trolling motor mounting to my Ultrex.

2. Member
    YES
    YES
    Maybe
    Hold off on the P mount.
    Learn to use the forward and down view first. I have not really heard anyone that is overwhelmed by perspective view.

3. Member
    Ok....that's what I've heard about the perspective mount ....most don't use it or rarely use it.

4. Member
    I’ll disagree a bit. I say get the perspective mount. Especially if you fish less than 10ft often. There are lakes where will very rarely use perspective but on the other hand, ark river and ft Gibson I will use it more than forward. There’s not much of a learning curve on perspective and it can’t be beat in shallow water for bass fishing IMO

If your looking for a stand alone unit with the sole propose of using Livescope then consider the 1022 bundle. Its a 10" screen and the unit does not come with regular sonar or sideview. Livescope is the only sonar feature it comes with. When it was released its original purpose was mainly on offshore boats that run a unit at the helm but need a unit somewhere else on the boat to display information. Its design is to be a slave unit that mirrors what the main unit is doing. However it is capable of supporting the black box and can display livescope. The 1022 is a basic unit that does not have a lot of fancy features. This makes it popular among the crappie and bass crowd that already have Hbird or Lowrance for other purposes. They install the 1022 with the sole intent of using livescope. MSRP is 2700 but if you ask around you can find a dealer that will sell for less but they can not advertise a lower rice because of Garmin MAP pricing/MSRP.

regarding perspective view...if you fish 10 ft or less and want the best detailed picture get the perspective view mount. You can look down or forward in shallow water but perspective view looks sideways giving a better cone angle in shallow water and still shows the bottom even though the transducer is sideways. If deeper than 10 ft is your primary thing then you can get buy without the perspective view. If shallow is your primary thing then its a must have in my opinion.
    Last edited by JR19; 11-26-2020 at 07:17 PM.

6. Member
    When I was out with my on the water instruction, 15 foot is what the shop that installed my system said is was the depth is was designed for. But when I read the Garmin literature it said it was designed for depths up to 15 meters which is around 50 feet. I have used it in 30 feet of water and it seems to function fine.

7. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    I'm sure anyone can use Perspective view in any depth, just know that anything deeper than the intended design it would be looking in the water column....you would be able to see fish, would just need to figure out where at in the column the fish are at. Now there are some 3rd party mounts where you can adjust the angle of ducer so that could be helpful.
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JR19 View Post
    If your looking for a stand alone unit with the sole propose of using Livescope then consider the 1022 bundle. Its a 10" screen and the unit does not come with regular sonar or sideview. Livescope is the only sonar feature it comes with. When it was released its original purpose was mainly on offshore boats that run a unit at the helm but need a unit somewhere else on the boat to display information. Its design is to be a slave unit that mirrors what the main unit is doing. However it is capable of supporting the black box and can display livescope. The 1022 is a basic unit that does not have a lot of fancy features. This makes it popular among the crappie and bass crowd that already have Hbird or Lowrance for other purposes. They install the 1022 with the sole intent of using livescope. MSRP is 2700 but if you ask around you can find a dealer that will sell for less but they can not advertise a lower rice because of Garmin MAP pricing/MSRP.

regarding perspective view...if you fish 10 ft or less and want the best detailed picture get the perspective view mount. You can look down or forward in shallow water but perspective view looks sideways giving a better cone angle in shallow water and still shows the bottom even though the transducer is sideways. If deeper than 10 ft is your primary thing then you can get buy without the perspective view. If shallow is your primary thing then its a must have in my opinion.

I installed this exact setup and it has been great. I use the 1022 for is livescope only. Humminbird for everything else