200 venom issues...

1998 venom 200 Jstlece motor
    Went out to crappie fishing this weekend and had some major issues, motor started better than normal no issues idled fine. Went to leave my spot and put the boat in gear and it wouldn't run over 1k rpm and stumbled and died. Fired the motor back up and put it in gear as I pushed the choke in it would pick up a and run better and starve fuel back out. Motor ran perfect last week.
    Obviously a fuel issue.
    I had a wiring issue which was causing only half the motor to shut down, replaced the key switch, removed the power pack cleaned all the connections. I am wondering if something was missed causing the motor to go into limp mode.

Compression is good all within 3-4lbs per hole. (roughly 110-115)
    Last edited by beck125; 11-23-2020 at 08:24 AM.
    Po' Boys Milford Jackpots
    I70 Bass Anglers Team Trail

2. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    May want to try disconnecting the shift interrupt switch at the power pack. Follow the harness for the switch up from the starboard side shift linkage at the bottom.

attempted to uplug the black and yellow wire at the head single wire connection and it changed nothing on the water. Still bogging and reacting to the key primer. Once home I got the ohm meter out and checked that wire in all configurations, on off in gear out of gear key on key off ect. with zero change in voltage, assuming its just shorting out the right side bank when its in gear. Replaced all the plugs, checked the fuel pump diaphragm have good vacuum at the pulse hose. .. all holes have spark (tested the old fashion way) I am to a point where im stumped. I would rather not have to take it into the shop

4. Member
    Mine did similar and it was stator and power pack.

Carbs will be cleaned and went through this coming weekend, as for electrical im going to attempt to run through the manual and do diagnostics on the stator and the pack to see what i come up with. i have a spare power pack that i put on the motor but it wont start with that pack.

6. Member
    for what its worth I chased the exact same issue last year on my fast strike & it ended up being the stator.

I had the same issues a couple years ago. Had to replace the power pack.

8. Ohio Fishing Reports Moderator omcforever's Avatar
    An OMC repair and service manual, good tools, good troubleshooting skills or help from an OMC tech familiar with these motors is the only way to go. WAGS can get very expensive very quick.

Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill !!