Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

New season/ New gear

What’s going to be the hot gear for the coming season?

Probably livescope acceptance
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

3. Member
    I think more lithium powered augers will be out there, maybe livescope for checking areas instead of spot trolling with a vexilar but I don’t see that playing too much in ice fishing especially when a flashers have way better separation when vertical jigging. The new tech catalogs this year have been pretty underwhelming. The new 13 Archangel rod looks pretty cool
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

4. Member
    livescope for sure just like in bass fishing.

Electric augers as well, i wish i never bought my jiffy.

Up here people are going absolutely nuts over the frostbite rods...meh imo.
    06 Stratos 294 ProXL

5. Member
    Ya I think live scope is going to get bigger. Also the electric augers/ cordless drill options. I went to a drill setup last year and will never use my gas auger ever again. Craigslist is littered with gas augers right now around here.

6. Member
    How are the drill batteries in the cold? We just got a gas auger a few years ago and think it’s a life (shoulder) saver. A drill would be cool for the long hauls or solo trips but have always heard younger about 10 holes out of a battery when it’s below 20F
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

7. Member
    So I had bought a rigid 20 v drill at home depot, it came with 2- 2amp hr batteries. I then bought the universal chuck adapter and put my 6" hand auger piece onto it. With 6-8 inches of ice a 2 amp battery will literally last all day and I hole hop a ton jigging perch.
    I later bought a 6amp and a 3 amp pack on sale dirt cheap after xmas. With an 8" auger attachment the 6 amp would probably last 2 days as long as your not pounding 20" of ice. I went all day through 16" of ice drilling for 4 guys and still had half battery life. Try to keep them warm when not in use. It is easy to slide a battery in a jacket pocket when done drilling.

I don't see a lot a "new" gear for 2021. A lot of improved things from the past. LiveScope is pretty to use under the ice, but that price tag and the extra weight/room has me holding off. My friend has one and it is powerful for deeper basin fish, but it takes up so much room (an extra small sled). I will stick to the Vexilar.

As for augers, if you have a 1/2inch lithium drill, all you need is a bit, many on the market these days. K-Drill was one of the first, very reliable and blades are sharpened for life...for free. Not the fastest out there, but lightweight and free sharp blades!

9. Member
    I'm hoping to get a couple of molds cut for some soft plastics I have been drawing up.

10. Member
    No buzz on the FLX-30 yet?

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ECobb91 View Post
    How are the drill batteries in the cold? We just got a gas auger a few years ago and think it’s a life (shoulder) saver. A drill would be cool for the long hauls or solo trips but have always heard younger about 10 holes out of a battery when it’s below 20F
    I have an M18 and a 8 inch K drill. With a 5ah battery, I can get about 300 inches of cutting. 9ah, about 400. If you go this route, have extra batteries! I carry 2 5ah and 1 9ah, and i've killed all three in a day. You also do need to be cautious of the batteries getting too cold. When the ice hits 10 inches or so, I just go back to my Strikemaster gas auger with the Kdrill. By then, i'm usually not walking out.

Strikemaster came out with a high speed lazer bit last year. I have not used one. My buddy has one, and loves it. Personally, I think it's a more efficient drill.

There's always new gadgetry available, but this year again, i'm not buying anything but new line. My ice fishing season will be short again this year...hunting through January.

12. Member
    So far Lowrance active target live scope.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chief Brody View Post
    No buzz on the FLX-30 yet?
    The FLX-30 is the real deal. I am good buddies with a couple of the guys at Vexilar and got to see it in action at the final tournament of the season last year. As far as flashers go, there is nothing better out there. They were fishing thick weeds and able to dial the unit in to isolate their jigs and easily see the fish. I have a 20, 22, and 28 so I am good right now, but will probably pick up a 30 next season. Maybe sell one of the other units.

I guess I am still almost old school, still like my 8" gas auger and also moved up to a 10" propane Jiffy. I have used the Ion and also the Strikemaster electric augers which some of my buddies have, of the two prefer the Strikemaster. I do a lot of drilling some days drilling up to forty to sixty hole through three foot or more of ice. When it gets to 48" or more I tend to go down to the 8" auger just because it's a little easier on the old body.
    As electronics go yes I would like tp upgrade from using my Humminbird 958 which I have mounted on the snowmobile and can transfer it to the flip over or the Garmin 93sv echomap which I have rigged the regular transducer but deffinately need the ten inch hole when using it. Have a couple of buddies with Panoptix and yeas it's nice to be able to seperate the bait fish and also be able to see which direction the fish are moving which you can't see on other units. With limited bugetwe do with what we have and hope to upgrade as time goes by but with electronics you can't keep up the pace with what's coming out. Tight lines everyone for the hard water season and also stay healthy during this epidemic...
    97 Stratos 288
    175 Evenrude Intruder
    Humminbird electronics
    Garmin electronics
    Fortrex112
    2012 Ford Lariat 250

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TDobb View Post
    The FLX-30 is the real deal. I am good buddies with a couple of the guys at Vexilar and got to see it in action at the final tournament of the season last year. As far as flashers go, there is nothing better out there. They were fishing thick weeds and able to dial the unit in to isolate their jigs and easily see the fish. I have a 20, 22, and 28 so I am good right now, but will probably pick up a 30 next season. Maybe sell one of the other units.
    always wanted a 22

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chief Brody View Post
    always wanted a 22
    I love the 22, so simple to use and incredible clarity, especially when paired with the Pro-View Ducer. Turning up the gain essentially adjusts the cone angle. I could probably find you a 22 if you are really wanting one. I am good friends with all the guys at Vexilar and all of their pro-staff, might be able to find one that is sitting on the shelf.

Picked up a 40v 8" strikemaster auger, cant wait to use it

Got a new 2-man flipover that I didnt get to use last year. Hoping for safe ice this year!

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TDobb View Post
    I love the 22, so simple to use and incredible clarity, especially when paired with the Pro-View Ducer. Turning up the gain essentially adjusts the cone angle. I could probably find you a 22 if you are really wanting one. I am good friends with all the guys at Vexilar and all of their pro-staff, might be able to find one that is sitting on the shelf.
    Absolutely

20. Member
    TDobb,

I have an Fl22 with a tribeam and a 12 degree transducer. How does the proview perform in shallow weeds? Say 12 feet and shallower. Do you run it on low power?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast