Thread: Water in cowl

Water in cowl

I happened to trim my motor down and noticed water draining from the 2 wires that go into motor above the steering arm. I removed cowl and noticed it was a little wet in the bottom. Is this normal or serious. Is there a way to tighten up the seal? If this a problem, would warranty cover? Thanks guys.

Mercury ProXS V8 4s
    2B590181 12500033A
    Eric Goff
    2019 Nitro Z20
    2019 Mercury 250 Pro XS 4s
    model #12500033A
    SB590181

2B576211

Thanks for the reply but I don’t think that’s it. I took cowl off and can see water beads in bottom. My motor was stored with totor on and when I removed and trimmed down level is when I saw water coming off the 2 wires that run to bottom of motor above the steering mechanism. There is a rubber plug that the wires go into that the wires can wiggle around in. I’m guessing they shouldn’t wiggle. I guess about 2 oz of water trickled out of that access point. Hoping Don or someone can tell me a way to tighten or waterproof or if this is normal. Or if I need to take in for plug/grommet/gasket to be replaced or if I should do myself. Thx.
    Eric Goff
    2019 Nitro Z20
    model #12500033A
    SB590181

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Eric... there are drains for the lower cowling area, as there are OPENINGS in the upper cowling (specifically for air intake/inlets). Unlikely that this grommet was the "source" as the grommet is usually not IMMERSED in water under any normal operating condition.

Had he engine been washed recently, or if it was stored outside, what tilt (and steering) angles was it at when sitting outdoors?

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Thanks for replying Don. I went fishing last Saturday and my boat is garage kept. I forgot to take motor totor off and finally did that yesterday, 8 days from my last trip. When I lowered motor down to level position I noticed the water coming off the 2 wires that go up into the motor above the steering column that accesses the top cowling. I then took cowling off and could tell it had been wet in the bottom. Small water beads. Like I stated above it couldn’t have been more than 1-2 oz of water but it concerned me. My last trip I did have a quick stop in a bunch of big boat wake to keep from loosing rods and the back splash may have crested mid way of motor as I had some splash on back deck but that’s it. No rain, and garage kept and no motor cleaning. Thx.
    Eric Goff
    2019 Nitro Z20
    model #12500033A
    SB590181

It is also possible that I had the motor trimmed up pretty good to get co angler to bank and get a bait in the mist of 2-3 very large wake boats coming and sending big waves.
    Eric Goff
    2019 Nitro Z20
    model #12500033A
    SB590181

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    I would say that's probably the case. Don't over think this... especially if you left it up on the engine support (likely water that splashed in as you came off plane, etc).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Thanks Don. I’ll be sure to keep an eye on it thou.
    Eric Goff
    2019 Nitro Z20
    model #12500033A
    SB590181