Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

How Lithiums improved my boat

Repost from my comment in the Falcon Boats section. I wanted to share my experience and offer a data point for the ongoing lithium conversation. Anyone currently in my previous situation can hopefully use this to make an informed decision.

I installed 3 lithiums on Friday and had my first tournament today (Saturday). Amped Outdoors 12v 60ah.

Wow, what can I say, I'm very glad I did. The list of improvements is long. Keep in mind, my boat had 4 heavy batteries in the back to begin with. For my boat this is an incorrect setup and has caused many issues.

Holeshot - Noticeably better. I had a hydrofoil before because with livewells full I would struggle to get on plane. While a band-aid to the core issue (too much stern weight), it did fix my holeshot issues. Lithiums just took it to another level. Before, the boat would go bow high, sit like that for a couple seconds, and then break over. Now, it doesn't have that two stage process. The bow lifts (less than before), I get on plane, and then it immediately comes down in one smooth sequence. This is with livewells empty, fuel at 75% full. With livewells full, fuel at 75% there is a slight period where the bow sits high, but it's brief and less than before. I can truly say my holeshot performance is up there with the best of them.

Performance -
    This has been the most pleasant result to me because I didn't anticipate this many issues to be fixed. Before, I would porpoise whenever I tried to reach optimal trim (which was fairly high). It was frustrating to try and eliminate the porpoising while at the same time attempting to reach optimal speed. Adding a hydrofoil made things worse. I suspect that the heavy stern caused the hydrofoil to drag in the water. After installing lithiums my cruising speed is now faster across rpms and acceleration is better. I also hit my WOT RPMs faster. Shedding weight from the back has caused the boat to sit flatter on plane. Needless to say the porpoising is gone and my optimal trim angle is much closer to neutral now.

Handling -
    The boat handles chop much better. The low/heavy stern would cause it slam into waves. Now it's more prone to glide and bounce above them. I didn't really get a chance to do any sharp turns, so nothing to report on that.

The final icing on the cake is regarding backwash. Every time I came off plane I would goose the throttle to avoid getting tons of water splashed over my back deck. It was very annoying and I just wrote it off as a flaw of the boat. Now, with all that weight gone and the stern sitting higher, I can just ease off plane without the water park festivities. If I do get splash it's minimal. No more wet rear decks and wet bilge compartments, probably as Falcon intended. The final proof that my setup was incorrect to start with.

2. Member
    Dont take it personal....but it sounds like you need more seat time. 90% of what you list as a "fix" is quite simply learning how to drive and setup a boat....doenst matter the battery type.
    Last edited by shooter66; 11-15-2020 at 06:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by shooter66 View Post
    Dont take it personal....but it sounds like you need more seat time. 90% of what you list as a "fix" is quite simply learning how to drive and setup a boat....doenst matter the battery type.
    How could someone not take that personnel.
    I saw many of the same results after switching ---------40 years should be plenty of "seat" time..

4. Member
    I got the same gains in my Stroker, across the board.And I've been driving it in the 90's since I bought the boat in 2004. I'll have do disagree with the driving fixing the above problems. The weight helps a lot. Even more if it is better balanced after the installation of Lithium.

5. Member
    How much weight difference per battery ?
    How many batteries?

6. Member
    No worries at all friend nothing personal taken. I have to respectfully disagree. Weight distribution matters and i had a lot of seat time with this one. At some point its obvious the boat isnt setup properly. The fact that fixing the weight distribution fixed so many things instantly is proof its more than just the driver.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zx175Bassman View Post
    How much weight difference per battery ?
    How many batteries?
    59 lbs to 13.5 lbs. 3 batteries changed for a tot of about 138 lbs. If i change my cranking battety itll be 190 ish lbs.

You said you installed three lithiums in your boat that had four regular batteries. I am assuming that you have a 36V trolling motor. Did you keep your regular starting battery? I'm interested because I have four heavy batteries in my Ranger z119, with a hyd. jack plate and two 8' power poles and a 225 Pro XS. I don't have problems getting on plane but the boat sits really low in the water. Did you add another charger?
    Bill

In my case I kept the AGM starting battery. Three 50 AH lithium's at 15 lbs each vs three 31 size deep cycle at 78 lbs. About the same as leaving your partner at the dock.

10. Member
    Pay no attention to the "Seat-Time Bandits". Baselessly telling someone else that they can't drive a boat is apparently a thing.
    1985 Ranger 340v w/ 1985 Johnson GT150 Crossflow
    2018 BassCat Pantera Classic w/ 2018 Mercury 200 ProXS

I'm really considering lithium when my batteries now are done. My new ghost runs so long on 24v flooded cell old school batteries, I am thinking of going with a 24v lithium. I know my boat is definitely different with just me as compared to with a fishing partner. I think lithiums and power pole charge would be the deal.
    2022 Caymas cx20pro 250 Pro XS s/n 3B099812

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by stratoblaster View Post
    You said you installed three lithiums in your boat that had four regular batteries. I am assuming that you have a 36V trolling motor. Did you keep your regular starting battery? I'm interested because I have four heavy batteries in my Ranger z119, with a hyd. jack plate and two 8' power poles and a 225 Pro XS. I don't have problems getting on plane but the boat sits really low in the water. Did you add another charger?
    Bill
    I did keep the starting battery, it's an X2Power 27m that's heavy as shit. Great battery though. And wow, you are loaded deep. I have a hyd jack plate as well, but no anchors. Even though you have no hole shot issues you will most likely still see an improvement as well as improvements in handling. I kept my Minn Kota PC460. Amped Outdoors in the faq approves them. Your boat will also sit more even, it's essentially taking about 150 lbs from the very back.

Problem with lithium cranking is that I'm not sure if Suzuki likes them. I know Merc and Yamaha recommend against them??? But I see a ton of people run them here. Not sure what the deal is. Something about outboard voltage regulators not being able to recognize a lithium bms? Or worse, that they overheat and break because of the lithium batteries. If anyone can clarify that would be great.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NoZero View Post
    Pay no attention to the "Seat-Time Bandits". Baselessly telling someone else that they can't drive a boat is apparently a thing.
    I think it's just another way to angle to be better and look down at someone.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by accurate View Post
    I'm really considering lithium when my batteries now are done. My new ghost runs so long on 24v flooded cell old school batteries, I am thinking of going with a 24v lithium. I know my boat is definitely different with just me as compared to with a fishing partner. I think lithiums and power pole charge would be the deal.
    I think it would help for sure, just know that since in your case it's only two batteries, it's not gonna cancel the effects of a partner, unless your partner is a child. You're probably looking at around 70-80lbs difference, which is still significant!

15. Member
    You have to run a different battery charger for the liuthuim battery?
    [email]bblythe64gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by bblythe View Post
    You have to run a different battery charger for the liuthuim battery?
    A charger with AGM setting will work.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne P. View Post
    Yep, here's the quote from their website:

Q – Can I use my boat's on board charger to charge?
    A – Yes, as long as it outputs 14.4v with AGM setting. We highly recommend the Minn Kota Precision Chargers.

Usually when a company recommends a tool for their product it means they've done conclusive testing with it. Time will tell, they certainly performed well fishing yesterday.

18. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Like others I have two Li tm batteries and left my AGM for cranking. As for charging, bought the portable Ionic battery charger and then just left my Dual Pro on the cranking.....works for me.
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne P. View Post
    Not sure this is entirely accurate. I called Dual Pro last week to ask about my specific charger. They said it was OK for AGM but not for Lithium. As far as your statement , it may work but does that mean accurately ?
    GETFISHED !!!

Quote Originally Posted by getfished View Post
    Not sure this is entirely accurate. I called Dual Pro last week to ask about my specific charger. They said it was OK for AGM but not for Lithium. As far as your statement , it may work but does that mean accurately ?
    What it means..is it will charge the lithium but not completely to 14.4 volts. Already been through this with a Minn Kota precision charger. You will get green lights because the charger thinks it’s charging an AGM battery, but checking the voltage it won’t be at 14.4. Will it be an adequate charge for most...probably. I ended up sending my dual pro in for lithium reprogram.

The question to ask Lithium manufacturers is...”Will this charger charge my lithium’s to 100 percent capacity”?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast