Cedar crankbaits

Just curious if anyone here has made crankbaits from cedar. I have access to some fallen trees and thought it would be cool to try to make one. I have done some research on carving wooden baits so I'm not totally in the dark when it comes to the process.
    LET'S GO BLUES!!! WILL WE MAKE THE PLAYOFFS IN 2024?

Yes. I use that and basswood.

3. Member
    I've used quite a few Poe cedar plugs over the decades, even steelhead liked them.

4. Member
    Bassin Dude 365, I'll try to help. It would be awesome to make some plugs ( crankbaits ) from your cedar trees but it takes alot of work and effort to do so, remember most of the comapnies that are building plugs from cedar are using kiln dried wood. I have built some plugs with kiln dried cedar and there are a few things to know, most cedar still has it's natural oils in it and it eventually bleeds thru and will change / effect the paint after time, it also has an effect on the clear coat after time becasue of the oils within. I'm sure it can be done but it would not be my first choice, but you may look into having it dried in a kiln then using some type of oil based paints and sealer as well as clear coat. Best of luck with the project and if you build some keep us posted as I'm sure there are others like myself who would appreciate them and love to see your finished product. Most Lure builders are using kiln dried woods like Balsa, Paulownia, Poplar, Maple, etc. Also with Cedar there is white & red cedar and both have differnt densities which you have to factor into your plug design and take into consideration especially if you want a floating lure. ( meaning it can only handle so much ballast before it will no longer float ) .
    Good luck with your project and I hope this helped.

Thank you for the response. I figured there was going to be something more to it than just squaring off a piece of wood and getting something to resemble a fishable bait. You definitely gave me some solid advice. Sounds like for me I'd be better off trying a different type of wood. I just figured I have access to fallen trees and I assumed they would be dry enough to use. Once again, thank you for your info.

6. Member
    Your welcome
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassin Dude 365 View Post
    Thank you for the response. I figured there was going to be something more to it than just squaring off a piece of wood and getting something to resemble a fishable bait. You definitely gave me some solid advice. Sounds like for me I'd be better off trying a different type of wood. I just figured I have access to fallen trees and I assumed they would be dry enough to use. Once again, thank you for your info.

I think you just got some bad advice on using cedar.

I've been using cedar just as you describe for 30 years. It is as simple as squaring off a piece of wood and getting something to resemble a fishable bait.

It makes an excellent material for lure making. Widely available, light, easy to work with.

Cut your logs to length, rip them on a bandsaw, dry until at least 20% moisture or less, and start building lures.

Send me a PM with any questions.

White Cedar, every one of them:

Quote Originally Posted by 188Musky View Post

I've been using cedar just as you describe for 30 years. It is as simple as squaring off a piece of wood and getting something to resemble a fishable bait.

It makes an excellent material for lure making. Widely available, light, easy to work with.

Cut your logs to length, rip them on a bandsaw, dry until at least 20% moisture or less, and start building lures.

I've had several of these baits in this picture for many years and still look as good as new....

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by 188Musky View Post

Thank you for the advice. Those baits look absolutely amazing! Looks like the general has them in line!

Quote Originally Posted by 21XDC View Post
    I've had several of these baits in this picture for many years and still look as good as new....
    Good to know! Hope all is well, I may be sending you a PM about some custom stuff I'm wanting to do.

11. Member
    188Musky & Bassin Dude, I'm sorry if you feel I gave some bad advice? I've reread my post many times and see no evidence of your claim of bad advice, but what I did say way #1 it would be awesome to make some plugs from your own lumber, I was simply giving my personal experience and in no way tried to imply not to use that wood. I just feel like there is better suited wood for making crankbaits, yes I said crankbaits because that was the original question, not top water, not poppers, chuggers, but crankbaits. Crankbaits are very finiky as to designing a lure with the corerct size, action boyancy, etc. As with many types of wood on crankbaits you have to be careful with the density and the amount of ballast to get the action you want and still have a lure that will float, or rise not sink. Balsa has been the wood of choice for crankbaits because it's more forgiving and allows you more flexibilty where and how much ballast you can use. Like I said I was responding to the original question about crankbaits and in my defense when I think of crankbaits I think of lipped diving lures that will float and rise back to the surface or float up out of trouble.
    188Musky those are great looking Plugs and I'm sure you have much more experience than I so I will graciouly bow out of the cedar question, but please consider I meant no bad advise.
    Bassin Dude lure crafting is a very rewarding thing and it does have it challenges but the hard work and dedication certainly out weigh the troubles once you come up with a design that works for your situation. I would also like to say Herman at Catching Concepts would be a great resource as he builds some very fine lipped diving crankbaits, Yes out of Cedar. Best of luck and please keep us posted I would love to see what you come up with.
    Happy Holidys.
    Rich

Rich, we know you meant no harm, and using the term “bad advise” was perhaps a bit too harsh. My sincere apologies.

I’ve built many cranks with cedar, though. I think it’s a very useable material. More durable than balsa, plenty light enough, rot resistant, available everywhere in the fashion mentioned in the original inquiry.

In a general sense, the road to building successful lures isn’t some narrow path. It’s a wide open field where any direction can be taken, I think any material or construction angle is worthy of pursuit and exploration.

Cedar isn’t balsa, but then balsa isn’t cedar. It seems to me that this is the whole point of building lures in the first place.

13. Member
    No apology needed but well recived, Thank you.
    I agree, and have thought many times of switching to cedar myself, I'm just used to Balsa & Poplar and comfortable with my process. Iv'e been building Handcrafted Lures since 2011 and looking back it's been a journey but one I'm really glad to have taken and every chance I get to convey that message or help someone out is my pleasure. P.S. Your lures look great and I'm hoping Bassin Dude can have the same type of success or at least great memories of building his own and catching fish with them.

14. Member
    The original Poe 400 crankbaits were made out of western red cedar with an inserted lead ballast poured around the belly hook hanger .They were awesome cranks that would not soak up water and split if the paint got chipped . When Poe's got bought out by Worden's (I believe ) they moved manufacturing to Mexico . I had bought quite a few of these new Mexican Poe's and most of them would split the paint when exposed to water without the paint being dinged . Not sure if the originals have a better wood sealer applied before painting or the new ones used a different type of wood but I do know the red cedar was far superior to whatever they changed to .

Soinbassman...no worries it's all good. I never consider any advice as bad advice when talking about building baits. In my opinion its good to know the pros and cons of what I'm getting into. This is strictly a deal where I just want to see if its possible to even get a bait to swim correctly. If I get that far, then I may step up another level. If I make a decent bait, I may make a few for friends but in no way interested in making them to sell.

Thanks to all who have lent their advice in this thread and in past ones. This is what is so cool about this forum. People with untold knowledge willing to share their thoughts and methods that have taken years to master. If I ever in any way have advice or ideas that would help another out, I'd do it in a heartbeat. Thanks again to all of you! Happy Thanksgiving!