Walnut Creek 11-14-2020

Ok first off, WC is just barely nice to me on most days. Granted I did win a Wednesday night tournament there back in June, I normally only catch a few and they are always no bigger than 2.5 pounds or so.

Well today, I got to the lake about 11 am and fished until 3:30. I managed to catch nine with the biggest one being about 3 to 3.5 pounds.

All except two of them were caught on a crappie colored jerkbait and the others were caught on a chatterbait. I found that the fishing was the best when the sun was out and it was windy. Once the clouds hid the sun, I could not buy a bite.

Water temp was 47 degrees and the visibility was about 3 feet.
    2007 Triton TR-21X w/ Pro XS 250
    6" T&H Hi Jacker w/ 2" spacers
    26P Tempest

2. Member
    That’s great glad you got out! Have you every fished Prairie queen? Or Wehrspann Lake? A guy told me they got some nice bass?
    So the moon phase was really good for fishing as well if you believe in that. I’m hoping to have some good weather over thanksgiving, I’ll have a few extra days off to get on the water as long as it’s still soft.

I have fished both. Neither lake has ever been particularly good to me but you should take that with a grain of salt. I don’t have all that much experience with the local lakes. I’d rather go 2 hours east into Iowa and KNOW I’m going to catch them instead of going 10-20 minutes and not know if I’m going to catch anything.

That being said, Werhspann has been in a bad spell for bass fishing for some years now. You can go there and load the boat full of 7” crappie but might not catch a single bass. On the other hand, Prairie Queen has been putting out better quality each year.

4. Member
    Thanks for talking about those lakes I asked about.

5. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Redog View Post
    That’s great glad you got out! Have you every fished Prairie queen? Or Wehrspann Lake? A guy told me they got some nice bass?
    So the moon phase was really good for fishing as well if you believe in that. I’m hoping to have some good weather over thanksgiving, I’ll have a few extra days off to get on the water as long as it’s still soft.
    Prairie Queen has some nice fish. Only problem is finding a spot to park your rig at the ramp. Wehrspann used to be pretty good. I fished it with Milliken 10 years ago and we had a 20lb limit with 1 just shy of 6lbs. Now, I wouldn't even think about going there. Carter Lake is far and away the best bass lake in the metro and it's no secret (hence why I'm even mentioning it). Cunningham was feast or famine until it was drained. I've personally seen 3 fish over 7lbs come out of there, including my personal best. I actually really liked Zorinsky when I lived back in CB. Put a 25lb limit in the boat memorial day of 2014 and caught lots of other nice bags
    Attached Images Attached Images

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by liljakec View Post
    Prairie Queen has some nice fish. Only problem is finding a spot to park your rig at the ramp. Wehrspann used to be pretty good. I fished it with Milliken 10 years ago and we had a 20lb limit with 1 just shy of 6lbs. Now, I wouldn't even think about going there. Carter Lake is far and away the best bass lake in the metro and it's no secret (hence why I'm even mentioning it). Cunningham was feast or famine until it was drained. I've personally seen 3 fish over 7lbs come out of there, including my personal best. I actually really liked Zorinsky when I lived back in CB. Put a 25lb limit in the boat memorial day of 2014 and caught lots of other nice bags
    That’s a great bass! For now I don’t have much of a desire to tow my boat through all the traffic in Omaha Lol. I wonder that a out of state Nebraska fishing costs? Anyway hope you have better luck hunting soon at least get to try and blast some:-)

7. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Redog View Post
    That’s a great bass! For now I don’t have much of a desire to tow my boat through all the traffic in Omaha Lol. I wonder that a out of state Nebraska fishing costs? Anyway hope you have better luck hunting soon at least get to try and blast some:-)
    DO NOT buy an out of state license for Nebraska. It's a giant ripoff. The last time I had a Nebraska license, boat permit, and state park permit I was paying like $130. Since then, it's gone up. I believe they upped their state park permit costs for nonresidents in the last few years too.

8. Member
    Lol that’s terrible. I’m not doing that!! I’ve got a Missouri license and it’s not bad $50ish

My 2 biggest out of PQ this year were 6.6 and 5.9 so they are in there. I live right across from wehrspann so used to go their alot. Have done well on some days but anymore they are few and far between. All the structure is gone and the back creek has really silted in. I usually do fairly well at PQ but this year with people out of work it seems like its always packed there. Fished Youngman quite a bit this year (alot less traffic) and usually do well but haven't pulled anything larger than 4.5 out of there. I like the Iowa lakes alot but can't bring myself to drive the 2 hours or so to fish alone. Most of my fishing buddies are still working and I like going during the week! LOL!

10. USAF and DOD retired Phoenix Jim's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Astro-T View Post
    My 2 biggest out of PQ this year were 6.6 and 5.9 so they are in there. I live right across from wehrspann so used to go their alot. Have done well on some days but anymore they are few and far between. All the structure is gone and the back creek has really silted in. I usually do fairly well at PQ but this year with people out of work it seems like its always packed there. Fished Youngman quite a bit this year (alot less traffic) and usually do well but haven't pulled anything larger than 4.5 out of there. I like the Iowa lakes alot but can't bring myself to drive the 2 hours or so to fish alone. Most of my fishing buddies are still working and I like going during the week! LOL!
    did you get to burchard this year? Russ and I had some good days there this year. Still the best lake in nebraska
    2018 Phoenix 920 Pro XP

Never made it down there Jim. Every time I planned on heading south something came up! Also didn't make our yearly trip to La Cygne this year, The wife had achillees surgery so that vaca went by the wayside too

12. Im wishin I was fishin
    I went to Burchard Oct. 10 the last saturday before it closed for the year 2 fish most of the brush is gone no cover left to speak of, Im guessing the recruitment will go down hill with nowhere for the fry to hide.

13. USAF and DOD retired Phoenix Jim's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by scstarr View Post
    I went to Burchard Oct. 10 the last saturday before it closed for the year 2 fish most of the brush is gone no cover left to speak of, Im guessing the recruitment will go down hill with nowhere for the fry to hide.
    actually Scott, there is a lot of brush still there in 12 to 14 foot
    2018 Phoenix 920 Pro XP

as fast and as thick as the weeds come in down there I don't think the fry should have too much to worry about!