Thread: Carpet/ Bunk ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Carpet/ Bunk ?

This winter I plan to do some repairs to my trailer. Lift the boat off the trailer, and put new bunks and carpet on. I have enough brand new indoor/outdoor carpet to do the job. The carpet came from Home Depot, if that matters. Is there any reason that I shouldn't use this carpet? Do I have to buy carpet from Ranger or another brand? I just don't want to throw away money if this stuff will work.
    Ranger Z-20, Yamaha F225.

2. Member
    That is my winter project as well,after researching they recommend using polyester carpet I went with C E Smith from Amazon.I'm not sure what type of indoor/outdoor carpet you have,but they recommend not using the green type with the black back as it doesn't hold well.The only thing that i'm holding off on is treated lumber.It seems to take on a mind all of it's own as it dries out.I'm exploring other alternatives.

Quote Originally Posted by joeboyk View Post
    That is my winter project as well,after researching they recommend using polyester carpet I went with C E Smith from Amazon.I'm not sure what type of indoor/outdoor carpet you have,but they recommend not using the green type with the black back as it doesn't hold well.The only thing that i'm holding off on is treated lumber.It seems to take on a mind all of it's own as it dries out.I'm exploring other alternatives.
    KDAT wood if you can find it. Kiln Dried After Treatment. Already dried and nice and straight. Also, you can paint it when you get it. I prefer to cut the boards to size and paint to match the carpet. I do not cover the bottom of the boards with carpet so it can drain better and being painted to match helps the look. Monel staples and power stapler is a hand saver and does a better job.

4. mikesxpress
    KDAT boards and Gatorbak bunk covers. You'll never have to do them again.

It won't be the green /grassy indoor outdoor. Regular carpet. I bought some for our breezeway a couple of years back and I have enough left over to easily do the bunks. Its not the real thin stuff.
    Thanks for the tip on the KDAT stuff, I'll have to look into that.
    As far as painting them I hadn't thought of that either. But definitely an option. Throw some primer on, and then something to match the carpet would be easy.
    I'm also getting some new supports for the bunk boards made and welded on. Mine have seen better days. I'm planning to Rhino coat them and some touch up where needed. Hoping to not have to do the whole trailer. But I'll make that decision when the boat is off the trailer.

Do the Gatorbaks, Finally put a set on after threatening to do it several times before. No water in my garage, and no scuffs, and no problem loading the boat. Use to get about a quart of water in my garage, especially on those short 5-10 minute tows back to the house. even after 3 hours of towing 1 way, It would still drip some in my garage. Not any more. Really not a bad price either. Took me about 4 hours to install, after treating my new bunk boards.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

7. Member
    I also recommend gatorbacks. Excellent customer service as well.

Good quality carpet will last a decade or more. I used bass cat carpet last time around. Great stuff.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Islands View Post
    KDAT wood if you can find it. Kiln Dried After Treatment. Already dried and nice and straight. Also, you can paint it when you get it. I prefer to cut the boards to size and paint to match the carpet. I do not cover the bottom of the boards with carpet so it can drain better and being painted to match helps the look. Monel staples and power stapler is a hand saver and does a better job.
    Thank you I'll look into it.I'm sure I can find it or order it.Yes power stapler is a must .Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by ifishinxs View Post
    Good quality carpet will last a decade or more. I used bass cat carpet last time around. Great stuff.
    That is kind of why I'm asking. I already have MORE than enough carpet for the job. It seems like a waste of money to go buy carpet. But if they are worlds apart I will consider spending the money. And I have always heard good things about the Bass Cat carpet. Same as the Gatorbaks I'm considering them. But they may be beyond the budget this time around.
    I also have to consider time. The space I have to work on this project is only for a weekend. Get the boat in the air. Pull the trailer out from under it. Cut off old supports, weld the new bunk supports in. Some Rhino coating. Put new bunk boards on. I might rewire the lights. I might address a couple of nicks and scratches on the hull.

11. Member
    I couldn't imagine putting carpet on bunks when other materials are readily available and will last the life of your boat.

At almost $400 for a set of Gatorbaks. 2 @ 12', and 2 @ 5'. Verses carpet that I already own. I can imagine thinking about options. Not saying they are not worth it. Just trying to consider my options before I commit.

I had some indoor/outdoor carpet from Home Depo or Lowe's that I think would have been fine for bunk boards. It was not a "plush" type carpet and looked like it would not hold a lot of water. For me the less water absorbed and held by the carpet, the better. Also the reason I do not cover the bottoms of the boards...let them drain! I would say use what you have and while you have the boat off the trailer use the opportunity for a good hull inspection (blisters) and cleaning.

14. Member
    Fish whisperer - I understand what your saying about using what you have on hand.

15. Member
    I used the caliber bunk wraps on my 2003 stratos instead of carpet & i'm liking it so far.

16. Member
    I bought 2 rolls of boat bunk carpet from Basspro at about $20 Canadian per roll plus $6 each for 2 2x6's and replaced the bunks on my easyloader last summer. The previous ones were 15 years old and rotting. Truthfully I could have used the existing carpet but didn't think it was worth my while removing all the rusty staples.

17. mikesxpress
    Quote Originally Posted by Les Young View Post
    I used the caliber bunk wraps on my 2003 stratos instead of carpet & i'm liking it so far.
    Read the disclaimer in red that is on the Caliber box.

18. Member
    Mike, I did read it. I’ve loaded & unloaded several times & not a sign of a scratch. I back in deep enough that I can idle up & hook up without any power loading at all. I’ve raised the boat up off of bunks & checked it out after installing them with absolutely no sign of any kind of scratching at all.

19. mikesxpress
    Les that's fine.
    Just needed a clarification that Caliber covers are for aluminum hulls only. We don't need to have bogus information on here that will end up damaging anyone's rig.
    Others have tried the Caliber bunk covers on glass boats in the past and it wore thru pretty quickly. One guy that's still on BBC had fiberglass hull damage warranty repair done by Caliber. That was before they put the disclaimer on the website and packaging. I have also had multiple folks tell me when they spoke with Caliber sales and stipulated there intent was to use the cover for a fiberglass hull that Caliber told them to use Gatorbak as there product was for aluminum hulls.

20. Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast