Thread: Carpet/ Bunk ?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    I heard Basscat puts a layer of carpet on top of the boards before wrapping them so you end up with 2 layers on top for more cushion. I like the idea thought about modifying it with eva foam under the carpet.
    2020 Ranger 521L, Merc 250 Pro XS

I was wondering about that as an option also. Its not a plush carpet. So it won't end up being overly thick, but a double layer might not be a bad idea on the tops.
    Ranger Z-20, Yamaha F225.

3. mikesxpress
    The primary concern for alternative bunk coverings on fiberglass hulls is keeping water from staying in contact with the gelcoat for extended periods of time in order to prevent osmotic blistering.

If you’re talking about that loop pile outdoor, Grey carpet that HD has been selling for years I’m not so sure I would use that on boat bunks after my experience with it.
    The stuff just has no integrity. I’m sure it probably works great outdoors on a deck that has a roof over it but my experience with it one boat I put in in wasn’t good.
    Im guessing it was a combination of getting wet often, prolonged exposure to uv rays along with fine sand or silt getting into it but mine matted and started wearing out within just a couple years.
    By the start of the 3rd year, any high traffic area or up at the front of the deck where I stood to fish was shot.
    I suppose I should’ve known better because when I was laying it, any spot I laid the carpet over that had just a little too much adhesive the adhesive started oozing up through the backing. That was not a good sign.

I've used the better quality indoor/outdoor carpet from Lowes on several boats.
    Someone already mentioned painting the boards and leaving the bottom side carpet free to aid in drying faster.. I also cut the carpet back about a 1/2' from all the brackets. That way theres no carpet to hold moisture under and around the bracket. Odds are your having to replace your brackets because of rust.. With the carpet cut back they wont rust near as fast.

Quote Originally Posted by trashmanssd View Post
    I heard Basscat puts a layer of carpet on top of the boards before wrapping them so you end up with 2 layers on top for more cushion. I like the idea thought about modifying it with eva foam under the carpet.
    This is true and so do a few other manufacturers. If there were a better material the boat manufacturers would all be using it.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

7. mikesxpress
    Quote Originally Posted by ifishinxs View Post
    This is true and so do a few other manufacturers. If there were a better material the boat manufacturers would all be using it.
    The trailer is the last thing any boat OEM is going to add cost to. As long as it is pretty, and capable of rolling that boat off the lot, and it will do that for a couple years, they will sell them. They couldn't care less about longevity or blistering as it's not covered under warranty.
    Last edited by mikesxpress; 11-28-2020 at 09:40 AM.

8. Member
    Use Stainless Steel staples on treated lumber
    Bill Perry
    Zwolle, LA (Toledo Bend)
    bpicinc_2000@yahoo.com
    2001 ZX-250 VMAX 225. HDS-9 Carbon, HDS-7Carbon, 3D Sonar, HB 998c hd si, Active Target, MG Tour Pro 36v, 12" Slide Master
    USN, USS Newport News CA-148

Quote Originally Posted by mikesxpress View Post
    The trailer is the last thing and boat OEM is going to add cost to. As long as it is pretty, and capable of rolling that boat off the lot, and it will do that for a couple years, they will sell them. They couldn't care less about longevity or blistering as it's not covered under warranty.

I thought Bass Cat tried something else and went back to carpet.
    Way to many bad reports out there for me to change at this time. When done right theres nothing wrong with carpet.

Quote Originally Posted by fishnfireman View Post

Way to many bad reports out there for me to change at this time. When done right theres nothing wrong with carpet.
    You are correct.
    Every boat manufacturer is concerned about the longevity of there boat. None want bad press or anything negative about the boat or trailer. Under warranty or not! Carpet has worked as long as boats have been put on trailers.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

Quote Originally Posted by bpicinc View Post
    Use Stainless Steel staples on treated lumber
    I always use Monel based on the Arrow web site:

• Steel

Low Corrosion Resistance. Ideal for indoor applications.

• Stainless Steel

Corrosion Resistant. Ideal for outdoor applications.

• Monel

Corrosion Proof. Ideal for marine and harsh saltwater applications where fighting the elements is a must.

12. mikesxpress
    Quote Originally Posted by fishnfireman View Post

Yep BCB has tried a few things. Double carpet to keep that down swept chine from cutting thru to the board. That didn't work. It just took a bit longer for it to cut thru and the majority of the hull is unsupported as it rests on just 4 contact points. Then they tried the infamous pillow top bunk shown with the Band-Aide band installed over where it cut thru. And Gatorbak covers with the same four resting points and no bunk support to the hull between them. Then back to carpet.

Last edited by mikesxpress; 11-29-2020 at 06:18 AM.

Don't know much about there engineers thinking but that could be corrected several ways. first thing I would do is make a relief cut for the chine. then shim the brackets until the boards supported the full length.
    Problem solved.. not just Bass Cat that has those same issues.

14. mikesxpress
    Multiple ways to correct it Mike. Including moving the most rearward bunk bracket forward and stopping the board before it would reach the chine. (Some folks have done this)

Even the high $ aluminum I beam trailer on my boat # 13 POS 2009 Ranger Z21 Intracoastal had the outside bunks gapped 3/8" away from the hull surface. This condition was unnoticeable with carpet installed but very apparent after I installed the Gatorbak bunk covers. I replaced all the crappy galvanized carbon steel bunk brackets with stainless ones and increased the height of the outside brackets to place an even weight bearing load across all bunk surfaces. It now loads better than it ever has and the hull surface is fully supported.

*Allot of boat trailers have similar issues that go unnoticed by the average boater. Looking at the carpeted bunks at the boat ramp for the various model boats can give you a good idea of some problems. Checking for unsupported areas of the bunks is a simple matter of using a wood or plastic shim between the carpet/hull along the length of the bunks.

Credit card works good.
    All of mine were not hard to tell looking at the carpet soon as it had been pulled a few hundred miles. If it was good carpet to start with it will be compressed where the load is being carried while the rest will be standing up.
    Moving the boards forward I'd sure recommend cutting those back two bunk brackets off. Even then I'd be nervous of the keel hitting something on the trailer if everything wasn't lined up just right

Quote Originally Posted by Islands View Post
    I always use Monel based on the Arrow web site:

• Steel

Low Corrosion Resistance. Ideal for indoor applications.
    • Stainless Steel

Corrosion Resistant. Ideal for outdoor applications.
    • Monel

Corrosion Proof. Ideal for marine and harsh saltwater applications where fighting the elements is a must.
    I thought I was going with stainless. But I will look into the Monel. Staples should be the cheapest part of this project. I'm not in salt water. But since they give better corrosion resistance, seems pretty logical to use them.
    The supports for the bunks rusting out are what prompted the start of this whole project. The boat is 11 years old and has been launched over 1,100 times. The rhino coat Ranger used, cracked over the years. Water got trapped, and slowly rusted out the supports. I consider it just normal wear and tear.
    So new supports, bunk boards, carpet, hardware. Repaint/Rhino coat. Check the hull underneath. Address any issues there. Unless I see long stretches of blisters. That will be the bulk of the project. There are a couple of other notes to look at. But we would like to complete the project in a 3 day weekend.
    Hoping for no surprises.
    Ranger Z-20, Yamaha F225.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12