150 to 175 can you do it?

Just sitting around wondering, could I swap out a 150 EFI on my 1997 181 Champ (new Coosa transom) to the new 175 pro xs. I know I should do the 150 but taking the cowl off to check the oil is a game changer. All the 175s and up you have the access panel to check the oil. Also Im not convinced that 4 cylinders don't have to work harder than my 6 cylinders over the long term. My 1997 Merc EFI still runs great (64mph) on Wednesday, but if I keep the boat I would like to go to the new 4 stroke. It would be about 68 lbs heavier, but I could change the batteries to Lithium and you do get rid of the oil tank, which would make the weight lower than now. Your thoughts would be great.

2. Member
    For what it’s worth, I have a 175 pro xs 2 stroke that I hung on the back of my 95 181 dc. It weighs the same as the efi 150 that was there before. It gets out of its own way a bit better with the 175 but the top end didn’t change at all. By the way, I know you are talkin going 4 stroke also. With that I have no experience. I changed out my lead acid 29s for lithium’s last spring and they made more of an improvement than the 175 to be honest. I didn’t care for the look of the mariner 150 and that was the biggest factor in my changing to the opti style out board. The cost between a 150 and 175 was very minimal and 25 extra hp without extra weight was what got me to go with the 175. Knowing what I know now, I should have left the efi where it was and just put lithium’s in when I needed batteries and had a lot of cash left over to spend on fuel and more tackle that I don’t need.

3. Member
    David I would skip the 175 and go to a 200 if you can keep the weight about the same with the battery swap. Put 150 decals on it. Otherwise I would run your 150 EFI until it stops which could be a very long time ( a set of carbon fiber reeds & have injectors checked/flowed).

4. Member
    Thanks for the info

Surr, don't mean to hijack your thread but can you tell me what prop you running on the 150? I have the same boat with a 150 efi and lucky to get 55 out of it on a good day. Thanks. In

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fastfiat View Post
    Surr, don't mean to hijack your thread but can you tell me what prop you running on the 150? I have the same boat with a 150 efi and lucky to get 55 out of it on a good day. Thanks. In
    My boat came with a 23 Tempest, and the motor was mounted 3rd hole down. I decided not to repower and spend the money just because I liked the looks of the new 4 stroke. If you find the Champion prop chart, thats what they recommend. I just had mine out last week and full tank of gas, by myself, live wells empty, I got 64.2mph. Good luck

7. Member
    I gave my 1995 181 to my son when I got my 198.

The 181 has a 6” jack plate, 150 efi, and 23M prop and ran 61 gps at 5600 rpms. Below 3 second hole shot.

Prop to pad is 3 5/8”.

Ronnie
    2006 Champion 198 DCX Elite / Mercury 225 Pro XS

Quote Originally Posted by flashnyellow View Post
    I gave my 1995 181 to my son when I got my 198.

The 181 has a 6” jack plate, 150 efi, and 23M prop and ran 61 gps at 5600 rpms. Below 3 second hole shot.

Prop to pad is 3 5/8”.

Ronnie
    Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Surr View Post
    My boat came with a 23 Tempest, and the motor was mounted 3rd hole down. I decided not to repower and spend the money just because I liked the looks of the new 4 stroke. If you find the Champion prop chart, thats what they recommend. I just had mine out last week and full tank of gas, by myself, live wells empty, I got 64.2mph. Good luck
    Mine currently has a 24 Trophy. Good holeshot but short on top end. Looks like it's time for a change. Thank you.

10. Member
    Thank you.
    You're welcome.
    2006 Champion 198 DCX Elite / Mercury 225 Pro XS