Thread: Black Box

Question Black Box

Hello Guys
    I have a new 520 that i am preparing to install Panoptics .I bought the kit with perspective mount. I have the 8600 series plotters. My question is have any others installed this and if so where did you locate the black box ? That thing is pretty good size and fairly hefty .Curious before i start . I was maybe thing starboard side in the very front box so that if i need to see the status lights for diagnosing if anything happens. Thoughts ,ideas anyone done this. I am particular or i would pay someone to install it .I appreciate the help unforeseen problems that may arise . I hope this is OK to post here

Thanks

That's basically where I put mine, different make/model but that's very common.

I have a theory that heat in the summer makes the box not perform as well so I am tempted to relocate under the dash for more air flow. But I don't think I will ever move it. Not a big enough drop in performance to me. Just some.

pretty straight forward install. I personally interpret the directions to shorten the factory lead wires for power to 2' if you run 10-8-6guage wire to the battery. And you will do that to keep power up at the box. You should switch this, but after I broke a switch in a few weeks I ended up with a clamp on battery post and use a wing nut for just the box, the rest of the battery is on a terminal with a nut so I don't have any issues.
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

3. Member
    Hhhmmm that did not occur to me I mean it is ribbed. I may need to put mine under dash to begin with but it is a heavy little sucker. The theory you have is it playing out ? Have you seen problems glitches etc with it mounted where it is ? Are all the cables long enough to go back to console

So in the summer after say 6 hours. It starts getting more artifacts ( this could be algae raising up to get sunlight) the AHRS sometimes starts malfunctioning (this is in the transducer but I think the box being warm slows its computing power down) actually seeing a ned rig at 60 is easy at the start of the day even when the start is at 5pm but after 6 hours it's harder. It all just seems that if I can cool the box down some maybe it would be more like 8-10 hours or not at all.

all of the above is not enough of an issue for me to relocate the box.

me I don't think I had enough transducer cord for the under the dash install so you need to buy an extension.

5. Member
    My transducer cord looks to be long enough to go to the other end of the boat but it is still coiled up there a cpl more cords in the box that i have not unpacked yet. Appreciate you taking time to talk with me about this. You saved me some time and headache. I may use double sided tape and maybe some type spacers so that it doesn't sit on the the carpet/floor and maybe that little bit of circulation will help me . Worth a try while installing. Thanks alot
    2021 Ranger Z520
    Merc 250 Pro XS

Well it's 20' if you have a 52" ultrex your probably using 6' on the trolling motor. So it gets shorter fast. When doing the install I would mount the transducer first, 7" up from the housing of the trolling motor. Then not using zip ties, but tape to secure it this will show you your lengths and you can unwind the inevitable twists.

7. Member
    Ok thanks for the input..gonna give it a try
    2021 Ranger Z520
    Merc 250 Pro XS

8. Member
    I put mine on floor under console, out of my way and great ventilation. Weather is no problem either.