Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Dustin Ray

Ghost Tree and Garmin Support

Hey guys! Dustin with D-Ray Fishing. Just wanted to share my story to give hope to some. I did absolutely everything I could to fix it(rolled back software, rolled forward, messed with every setting possible, even went out with a prostaff member), my issues were so bad I had to stop making YouTube videos with any LiveScope content. But if you will keep your cool through the working process with Garmin and work with them despite what you already know and have tried, they will take care of their customers. Yes it seems like an unreasonable process (sending pics and videos with different settings) but in the end they will take care of you. They are a business that needs to do everything they can to resolve issues that are cost effective. Not saying this works out in everyones situation but after sending out a new transducer it solved my Ghost Tree problems. Now this is not to say it's not possible to see it again, as settings in different environments is everything. If my settings are too hot the tree can reappear but I can adjust it out now. My biggest issue before was not necessarily the Ghost Tree but a dead spot about 20-30 foot out, all objects would disappear in this zone. I love Garmin products and was willing to do everything I could to not only fix my issues but to help the company resolve their issues for their company and their customers. I offered to send them my entire unit a few months ago for diagnosis, and I was just simply going to purchase a new one (I can be very impatient with boating issues). I state that to state this, if a company can see you're willing to work with them they will in return work with you. It is very frustrating to call in and feel like you are being treated as the only one with the issue, but it's just the process. I could not imagine trying to deal with this on their end with the size of their company and the tremendous amount of product out on their end. I believe this pandemic is no different than our current world pandemic, there is an answer and an overall fix. The LiveScope is probably the biggest driving force of their business. As I'm not affiliated with their business in any way, nor am I'm promoted in anyway to share my opinion or experiences, I can spit out my honest opinions without recourse. As simple as we seem to think this should be fixed, I believe they are still working tirelessly to resolve this. Just want to spread some hope to those who are still frustrated beyond measure. Seems those that are dealing with is strongly fixed in different ways, a transducer fixed my issue while some are fixed by rolling back or a black box issue. This most certainly must make it harder on their end to resolve it as there is no clear answer still..... but I can say in one way or another they will figure it out and fix it or fix your issue. Don't post a whole lot on here but wanted to share my thoughts as I still see a lot of people out there with issues with no answers. My advice would be patiently let them figure it out for you as an individual as it seems different things fix this issue for different customers. If a roll back didn't fix your issue, get it back up to current software as this is not recommended by Garmin and can void your warranty. Hope in some way this helps some, Tight lines!

2. TJNYSNP
    Thanks ... tell us what the "juice" was to get rid of your dead spot please ?

3. Member
    Yeah, please tell!
    I worked with Garmin for several months as many of you know. In the end they admitted they could not fix my issue, same as listed above, and gave me a full refund for the unit and Livescope system. Yes I went right back out and bought a new system and unit, 8612. It still has the same issue you had. Hate it but can't imagine fishing without Livescope.
    Yes, please tell us what Garmin did to resolve your issue.

4. Dustin Ray
    They sent me a new transducer. I swapped it out and it resolved my dead spot. But like I stated above, doesn’t fix everyone’s issues as others have had luck with other changes.

5. Member
    I have a 8612 NIB and LS NIB. Boat in production. The 8612 has Version 17.10 installed. I will never use perspective mode. Is 17.10 pre ghost issues? If yes I will NOT upgrade OS.

Thx

6. Member
    It's not what software that's on the unit that is the issue, it is what software is on the black box.

7. Member
    I will have to power mine up and check that. Thx

8. Charger Boats Moderator TOUCH OF CLASS's Avatar
    Maybe the transducer they are sending is bad and only a few are good

9. Member
    Ive been sending videos and pictures with garmin.
    they are swapping my transducer. I hope it solves the problem

10. Member
    If one transducer works and another doesn't they have a quality control problem. Garmin should be able to determine why one works and the other doesn't. Once they isolate the issue they should be able identify the defective units and remove them from inventory.

11. Member
    It could be something else besides the transducer he said.

12. Member
    Mine seems to be more related to the black box. I borrowed a friends black box and ghost tree/ blind spot went away. Installed my black box on his boat and setup and ghost tree/blind spot was there.

13. Member
    My biggest point is before perspective I had not heard anyone here or elsewhere complain about dead spot,so I say it is fixable, I think they are working on a new whole setup and will never fix the problem they made,it will probably have mega and be great and these will go by the wayside, correct me if I am wrong, later

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Genec View Post
    My biggest point is before perspective I had not heard anyone here or elsewhere complain about dead spot,so I say it is fixable, I think they are working on a new whole setup and will never fix the problem they made,it will probably have mega and be great and these will go by the wayside, correct me if I am wrong, later
    I would wager you are correct

15. Member
    Yep and we will be stuck with whatever you got.

16. Member
    Let's hope not, or Garmin will be facing some class action lawsuits. Myself & plenty of others have a $3000.00 plus bucks tied up in a unit that has a dead spot + the ghost-tree.

I have the 93 SV+ Worked great til the perspective view update.
    2005 Skeeter ZX225/Yamaha HPDI 225

I just spend some coin on an entire LS system to run next to my Lowrances. This ghost tree has me worried.

Triton 19 XS Elite, 225 Mercury Pro XS, Minn Kota Ultrex 112, Hydrowave H2, Twin 8' Power Pole Blades, Power Pole CHARGE, Lowrance HDS 12 and 16 at console, Lowrance HDS 9, Garmin LiveScope at bow, Mercmonitor, Rigid Industries Deck lights and other stuff to come that will make me go more broke

18. Member
    Transducer did not solve my problem. Waiting to see what garmin is coming up next..

19. Member
    Garmin knows they have an issue, they know when the problem really started. At this point I'm convinced they cannot fix it with the existing black box and transducer. They keep running us around in circles. Really hope what they come out with new transducer fixes this. Maybe IF the new Lowrance and Humminbird Live don't have this issue they will release a real fix!

Im afraid the fix will be buy all new stuff. These 1400 systems should not be put aside bc they cant fix their issue and expect everyone to fork out 1400 more bucks just to fix their mistake.

Triton 19 XS Elite, 225 Mercury Pro XS, Minn Kota Ultrex 112, Hydrowave H2, Twin 8' Power Pole Blades, Power Pole CHARGE, Lowrance HDS 12 and 16 at console, Lowrance HDS 9, Garmin LiveScope at bow, Mercmonitor, Rigid Industries Deck lights and other stuff to come that will make me go more broke

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast