Repair/Maintenance Wait Times at Your Dealer?

For those who have taken their boats in recently for repair or maintenance, what type of wait times are you seeing? I have a RT178 and a Z519 and needed to take them in for some warranty work and general maintenance. On Wednesday of this week I took the first one in to my dealer (a Cabela's). They told me the wait was 4 weeks right now and asked me to take it home and bring them back Monday, when they would then have room for them (bear in mind it is first come first served - no reservations if you will), as they were stacked right now.

Is it that bad everywhere? Or just here in Texas?

2. Member
    It is that bad everywhere! I am on the wait list right now - 3-4 weeks.

3. Member
    One week since I bought the boat there. Take it Monday pick up Friday.

4. Member
    I had a 3 week wait for motor work and about 4 weeks for trolling motor warranty work. The TM work was delayed by Minn Kota shutdown. The motor shop was just overwhelmed with people trying to get their boats repaired...
    1994 Ranger 492VS
    2004 Optimax 225 - 0T920364
    6" Hydro Dynamics Manual Jack Plate
    24p Fury 4
    24v 47" Lowrance Ghost / Lowrance HDS

5. Member
    a shop wanted me to wait 3 weeks to do a 30 minute job,i said call me the morning you want it and it i will be there, i am retired so got time,he said dont work that way you bring it here and put in the lot,i ask him who was going to pay for any damage to to my boat and trailer while sitting there, and said thats on me,i said good luck with that i do it myself

8 to 12 weeks here.
    1992 RANGER 392V 200 MERC

7. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Up here a ton of rigs are being winterized now, not just bass boats but crappie boats, pontoons, etc. Wait times around a month. This is when it pays to be on the “good list” with your dealer and plan ahead for fall service, if possible.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

8. Member
    Last year my dealer wouldn't give me an appointment or guess when they would be available.
    Needless to say, I no longer deal with them.

9. Member
    I do not like to leave my boat sitting at the dealer for long periods. They will open a work order for a customer. When they get within 24-48 hours of needing your rig, they call and you bring it in. Best service yet.
    As of right now its a 3-5 week waiting period. Seems to be the norm everywhere.

Don
    2016 BassCat Pantera II
    Mercury 200 ProXs

Quote Originally Posted by jc2bg View Post
    Up here a ton of rigs are being winterized now, not just bass boats but crappie boats, pontoons, etc. Wait times around a month. This is when it pays to be on the “good list” with your dealer and plan ahead for fall service, if possible.
    Okay ... How do you get on the "good list"? Do you have to be a pro ... be related to the owner ... bring donuts ... ?

11. Member
    Here at our dealership I have things done most of the time within a week, unless its a major engine repair or waiting on parts.

12. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mysuzytoo View Post
    Okay ... How do you get on the "good list"? Do you have to be a pro ... be related to the owner ... bring donuts ... ?
    I believe most of us know what it means to be a good customer. The main thing is, support the dealer on the front end before asking for favors. Doesn’t work so well the other way around: “If you put me first, I’ll do all my business here.” If I need dealer assistance, I give them a call, tell them the truth about my situation, ask what they might be able to do and when, and then make it my priority to work within their schedule. 20 years and 6 boats later, I might be getting close to the good list. Also talk them up when they do a good job. I wouldn’t want to own a boat without top-notch dealer support!
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

13. Member
    I deal with the same place that john is talking about. My boat is a 2006 and they have treated me like i buy a new one every year. A visit to my dealership feels like visiting family. Ok course i have to pay for repairs but they have never let me miss a tournament even if my mechanic had to skip lunch to get my boat fixed for me. Being loyal and polite goes a long way.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jc2bg View Post
    If I need dealer assistance, I give them a call,

Called mine last Wednesday and left a message. No return call yet.

15. Member
    Was just quoted couple days to leave for minor boat warranty repair (replace bubbling chrome parts) and 1-2 weeks to look at trim leak by on my motor.

16. BBC SPONSOR
    Waiting on parts from Ranger, been at the dealer since 9-26. No clue yet as to when Ranger will send out all of the replacement hub assemblies that went bad on a 1 year old trailer.

17. Member
    Mine went down this past June; Called dealer (Nichols Marine Tulsa) Monday morning and they said get it here. I arrived at 11:00, they pulled a guy off of what he was doing, and I left at 12:15 with my fuel diaphragm replaced. I am not sponsored, but they are aware that I fish tournies and was in the middle of season, so I guess I got priority. I don't know that I would expect same treatment this time of year during down time. What I do know is they have my business for as long as they take care of me like that.
    2018 Ranger 521C, 2023 Merc 250 Pro XS 4S (3B261295), 36V Ultrex, 10" Atlas, Power Poles, Lowrance 12 Carbon, and 2-12 Lives.

18. Member
    My dealer is much like others have mentioned. I can call them, advise what is needed, and they usually schedule an appointment typically within 1-3 weeks, depending on the season, and I usually get my boat back within the same week, most of the time in a couple days. Unless parts are required that are not known ahead of time. I didn't buy the boat from them, bought it 1 year old, from a private party. I did buy a set of $6k electronics, and an Ulterra. And they have had all my warranty work and regular maintenance work. Like John said, I now have a relationship -- the people there know me, and I know them, and they treat me as a good customer. I buy my parts from them too, because they are a Ranger dealer, they often have the key parts that break on the shelf, vs waiting for an order from Ranger. Add one more plus, they are 2.1 miles from my house...

For winterization, you call ahead, make an appointment, and my boat was dropped off in the morning and I picked it up that evening.

The one time it took 4 weeks was the time I hit a rock and killed the gearcase housing. They got me in right away, and worked well with my insurance, the issue was not theirs, it was Mercury's...took 4 weeks to get a housing. They had the boat all prepped and ready, the houssing came in at 1pm, and they called me to pick it up at 3pm the Friday before 4th of July.
    2016 Ranger 1850 LS Reata / Merc 150 4s / SmartCraft / Lowrance HDS Carbon SS3D