Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

AmeriGas Propane Company Sucks

AmeriGas has simply done away with customer service. You call them and they keep you on hold for hours. They charged me a $60 a year tank rental fee for 19 years then this year raised it to $100. I called and told them to take the thing out and I would get someone else. They never showed up and are now trying to charge me an additional $37 late fee. I have been on hold for 30 minutes at this point. Avoid that company at all costs.

You could have bought you own tank a hell.of a lot cheaper than that.

3. Banned
    Convert to all electric no gas at my house

4. Member
    Thankful we have natural gas now. When I sold the old house they did not want to give me a credit on the recently filled tank when I called for a pickup.

5. Banned
    I got out from under them years ago by buying out my 500 gallon buried tank. Predatory comes to mind.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pa.X19 View Post
    I got out from under them years ago by buying out my 500 gallon buried tank. Predatory comes to mind.
    Same here....and exactly!

Our tank came with our home. Buried as well.

8. Shutterbug Forum Moderator bdog7198's Avatar
    We also have a 500 gallon tank buried, nice not being tied to a specific gas company. Just look to see who has the best price at the time.

Everything in the house is gas, wouldn't want to go back to all electric. Especially the stove.
    Prints and more available at: http://BSPhotography.co/
    Digital downloads available at: https://licensing.pixels.com/profiles/1-brian-shoemaker
    IG: BSPhotographyZ9

9. Member
    If you have a local independent supplier give them a call. You will find the gas will be cheaper and probably no charge for the tank.
    2007 Bass Cat Pantera IV
    2018 G3 Sportsman 1710

10. Member
    buy you own buried tank,get it filled in the summer then most of time around call around get best price and buy 200 more gallon,then wait for cheaper summer fill,if you can put a 1,000 gal tanks in, fill in summer around 1$ a gallon here

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by keeferfish View Post
    This is what we did at our cabin, the propane co. here was terrible and charged a fortune for the gas. It took them several weeks to come pick up the tank and wanted to bill be for the extra time I had it, I think that is just a way for them to get a few more bucks out of people. I told them to pound salt and I was willing to go to court with them if necessary. Never herd a word from them after that.
    1987 Ranger 373V 150 Yamaha proV still going strong.

I use Propane Central. They charge me tank rental as well. $77 per year, but they waive it because they repainted the tank and put a nice sticker on it and call it "advertising".

I'm now pricing out a 500 and 1000 gallon buried tank. I think I can get the 1000 and get it buried and connected for about $2500.

I bought my tank also, 500 gallon buried, too much "wording" in chain suppliers, plus pre-buying has always worked out better for me than being "contracted"
    Putting a clown in the castle doesn't make him a king, it turns the castle into a circus

We had for about 18 years and finally got tired of paying too much for gas and also paying a tank rental fee. I checked around with other suppliers, including Amerigas, but none could beat the prices that Ferrellgas was charging us. Finally bite the bullet and bought our own tank and glad that we did. BTW, it was also hard to find a local company that would sell us a tank.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

15. Member
    they do suck , horrible customer service.

16. Member
    Amerigas is a terrible company. Took them over a year to come pick up a tank from us. They had 1 more week before it would have been a smoker.
    Semper Fi

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by keeferfish View Post
    I've got a stupid gas fireplace that I use as a backup when the electric is out.

18. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jigman51 View Post
    I've got a stupid gas fireplace that I use as a backup when the electric is out.
    This where they really jack you with less than 200 gallon fill ups. Put a 500/400 gallon tank in the ground if you can.

19. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    I use Ferrell Gas.....when we built the house would could rent or buy a tank from them.....bought and got it buried....no issues with them....
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

20. Dogfish_Jones
    Being I am an CEO for a propane company ad been in this business now for 26 years let me explain a few things here. First off I am not with Ameri-Gas, never will be. I have worked for a few national companies in my years luckily not them. Their customer service is bad and will only get worse. They are the largest propane provider in this country...by a large amount too. They purchased Heritage Gas a few years back which pretty much put them in control of every nook and corner of the USA.
    1- Tank rent on average is a way for any propane company to get an ROI on that tank. A 500 gallon above ground tank cost a propane company around $1,200 to purchase, then shipping charges then the regulators to put on them. Total cost for a 500 gallons tank for that company is around $1,500. If you are paying $60 a year for leasing that tank, it is going to take 25 years to break even on it. By that time you should have had maintenance done to it and new regulators put on it which increases the cost on that tank to 27 years. If something breaks or some defect happens to that tank, the company incurs the cost to fix it, not you, it is not you tank. I really think you renting a tank is a great investment in the long run if you are happy with the company providing you service.
    Someone mentioned underground tanks, a 500 UG tank will cost a company around $2,100m a 1000 gallon tank around $2,600 then you will have to purchase the regulators and the cost to bury it. I remind you this the the companies cost not the retail price. Metal has went sky high. Add around a 30 to 40% markup, that cover freight and the labor for the service department to set it in the hole dug.
    THEN, by code you will have to have your UG tank tested every 2 or so years making sure no corrosion has put holes in that tank, this is on you since you own it. If that company go by the LP gas codes they will need to see that certificate before they can put any gas in it. Those test run anywhere from $100 to$250 , depending on the company.
    THEN, if anything happens to that tank it is your cost to get it fix, that well could be a bad as you having to get a brand new tank of pressure fitting. Cost range from $250 to $4,000. Plus the loss of gas you had already purchased.
    So, we come now the price of gas, it depends on where you live as to how mu it will be. Every company has to have it shipped in by tuck or rail maybe both. We are charged a shipping fee on every gallons brought to us on top of the amount we paid for it.
    The our trucks cost anywhere from $130,000 to $200,000, service trucks around $100,000. We have to pay good dollars for those drivers since thy are carrying hazardous material. Our vehicle insurance is astronomical.
    I'll end this saying this, if we clear 20 cents per gallon we are very, very lucky.
    The key to me an we pride ourselves on this and that is customer service. WE are a hometown company and we have a store you can visit. These bigger national companies do not want to waste money on doing that these days. You call for gas you might be talking to a person 500 or more miles away and never met you and really could care less about you. We know, talk and help our community and we offer as good a price as we can and TRY to make everyone happy.
    Owning your own tank, fine with me, I do not have to spend money that will take 25+ years to gt it back. Plus when it doe goes bad, it's not on me, that's your cost to fix it.
    I'll end..but we really want to be loyal to our customers and we are...why? They are loyal to us. We will serve a loyal customer way...way faster than the person that calls us every year looking for cheap gas. They are not the loyal people we serve and work late at nights and on weekends for. We already know that we are only 1 cent away from them giving their service to somebody else. Plus when something happens and something don't work who do they call? Most cheap companies do not have a fully trained an full staff of technicians to fix that problem correctly.
    As the old saying goes, you get what you pay for......

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast