05 optimax lower unit water in oil

So long story short. Had water in lower unit half way through season. I brought LU to dealer and passed pressure test held for 30 mins according to mechanic.

Finally got around to doing my winterization and oil came out milky. Not half as bad as before. All they did was add new drain plug seals and water pump kit with nee gaskets (they are guessing the drain plug seals i used may have either had debrid or just defective by some rare occurance)

That being said..... what now.. do i just tel them to replace all seals and be done with it?

Key note not sure if they did a vacume seal. And truthfully at this point if it goes back they may as well just re do the whole thing because if it goes back a 3rd time it would of paid the whole seal job the 1st go

Serial number 1B044209
    2004 Ranger Reata 180vs 8" rapid jack magnum CCM reeds 21P tempest plus- 2005 150 optimax 1B044209

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Vacuum tests are not traditionally done on Merc gearcases due to specific seal configurations.

It would be wise to do a pressure test with the gearcase submerged in water (off the engine)... turning ALL shafts, and varying from 2-6-9-11 psi.

While it's probably wise at this point to completely reseal, there is no "guarantee" that the leak will be solved that way unless you know WHAT you're fixing.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    Thanks don. Looks like ill call the dealer and see what they recommend... odds are ill get them to just do it and hope they cross a worn section... being an 05 and more then likely original id suspect a seal at either of the shafts

Side question.... the oil was coming out cloudy with very faint streak im the center while some poured out the same color as it went in...... is there a "tolerence" or should my oil always come out clean

Keeping in mind i do under 100 hours a year on this.... i put 48 hours or so on it this year. The oil i just flushed had half of those hours at the very most
    2004 Ranger Reata 180vs 8" rapid jack magnum CCM reeds 21P tempest plus- 2005 150 optimax 1B044209

4. Banned
    I chased a similar issue. Turned out to be the gasket under the water pump base.

Only so many places for water to get in there.

5. Member
    Yeah only issue is when i bought motor in to get tested the complete pump with gaskets was done