Question Anyone have a Kamado Joe Classic III

After 8 years my Chargrill Acorn has finally bit the dust. The entire bottom rusted out of it. While it is a fine grill and I could buy another for $400, I think I want to step it up to ceramic. I am debating between the Classic III and a large BGE. The price is quite a bit different but the Classic comes with a ton of accessories and a stand. Everything I would have to buy separate for the Egg. You guys have any feedback?

I've got a Vision and it has been great! It also comes with a stand and casters. Very good quality for the price and cooks a steak like nobodies business! I own a pellet grill also, but will only cook my steaks on my Vision.

I have an old Vision grill also. Bought used for $250. Cooks very well with addition of a Kick Ash basket. Just wish it had a slideout tray for ash removal. Kamado Joe's look really nice. If it comes with accessories, and similar price to the BGE, I think that would be a no-brainer.

I saw a Vision grill at Sam’s a few years ago. Full sized table with the fake granite top, cabinet storage, and a bunch of accessories. Right about $800 as I remember. If I didn’t have the egg I’d have bought it right then and there. Might be something to look at.

5. Member
    My neighbor has a Classic III and I have a BGE large. They are very similar, and if you already have some of the tools, you could save some money by getting the BGE. If you want a package deal, BGE usually runs them around holidays and Father’s Day. Also, if you’re somewhat handy, you can build a table for pretty cheap. I built mine for around $100 and is nicer than most you will find in a store. Also be prepared for a little bit of a learning curve with both, play around. I came from a gas grill and charcoal smoker to mine and I had a few cooks that didn’t turn out exactly how I wanted. I invested in a nice thermometer (FireBoard) which had WIFi so you can monitor your pit temp from anywhere. Good luck, you can’t go wrong either either.

290CFEDF-9D3E-4E2F-8D21-379AB6BC4F81.jpeg

6. Member
    I bought a new Vision years ago and since picked up two large BGE’s preowned. After ash baskets and aftermarket tops on the BGE’s they all do a super job for me. I’ve looked with envy on the Joe’s, Costco Roadshow has had some decent deals on them. If you can justify the price of the Komodo Joe I’d go for it, they are top of the line. Plenty of comparable to BGE at half the price.

if I was starting over I’d go for a Big Joe Classic II and be done, good luck.

7. Member
    I have a Kamado Joe Big Joe 3. I love this thing. I wish they made a larger one than the 24”. Warranty is important as ceramics do break and admittedly KJ has been slow with replacement parts which they blame on COVID. However, they do stand behind their products. My neighbors have Big Green Eggs which put me in the shopping mode for a kamado grill. My research swayed me towards KJ. After using mine, my neighbors also state they would buy KJ over BGE if they need to purchase again. I don’t have any regrets other than it becomes a bit on an addiction.

8. Moderator
    Thanks for the info guys. I ended up buying a classic III. I have had it for around 2 weeks and really like it so far.

Quote Originally Posted by RoadrashPaul View Post
    Thanks for the info guys. I ended up buying a classic III. I have had it for around 2 weeks and really like it so far.
    Awesome! Post up some food pics soon.

If you havent already, the single biggest upgrade I made to my vision was the Kick Ash backet, based on Clif Kincaid's recommendation. https://www.kickashbasket.com/Classi...sket_p_41.html

Biggest benefit: it increases airflow to your coals by eliminating the restrictive plate in the bottom. Big open hole with the basket over it. Now I simply relight my coals with a propane torch, and top off as needed. No need for a charcoal chimney ever.

10. Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by eyra_kid View Post
    Awesome! Post up some food pics soon.

If you havent already, the single biggest upgrade I made to my vision was the Kick Ash backet, based on Clif Kincaid's recommendation. https://www.kickashbasket.com/Classi...sket_p_41.html

Biggest benefit: it increases airflow to your coals by eliminating the restrictive plate in the bottom. Big open hole with the basket over it. Now I simply relight my coals with a propane torch, and top off as needed. No need for a charcoal chimney ever.
    I will get some stuff posted soon. I have seen lots of people recommend these but I am confused how it is better than what I have. Mine came with this charcoal basket that you can divide in half.

11. Member
    I will get some stuff posted soon. I have seen lots of people recommend these but I am confused how it is better than what I have. Mine came with this charcoal basket that you can divide in half.
    Congrats on a great grill/smoker! You are correct on the charcoal basket that came with your Joe, it’s equal to and better than most.

Looks like you got it covered with that KJ basket. Nice accessory!