WRONG!!!!!!

Gas smell in lockers?

Im sure this has been mentioned on here before, but when I open my lockers on 2006 198, gas fumes coming from somewhere. What is the fix?

Your going to get the same old "it's the plastic gas tank and the odor is seeping through it"

Yes' maybe but on a boat that has the large rigging tube. Fumes aka gas vapors inside the engine cowling will always search out the lowest level. The fumes travel down the rigging tube and start filling the bottom of the boat. This is the problem more than a porous fuel tank.

Fix I made was to seal the rigging tube at the engine with an automotive fuel resistant sealer. Helped at least 95%. My Champ is a garage princess so its stored inside unless being used. It still stored with all lids open to keep the musty smell out and vent during battery charges.

I have a good nose and when I had that giant aluminum seat cover removed to gain access to the fuel lines for replacement some years ago now. I was working right on top of the tank for a few days and never smelled any fuel till I removed the sensor. So that is when I call BCRAP on the porous tank legend crap.

Flame away you porous tank lovers!

Steve McQueen "Le Mans"
    Own the Champ! Life Long Petty Fan!

2003 ChampioN 2006 250 Merc. XB, Prop By Mark C.
    2002 Ranger Okeechobee Special EvinRude Ficht 90 / 9.9 4-Stroke GLAD to have a Get me to the Dock motor maybe!

3. Banned
    Possible that the fumes come down the main harness lines, but mine (the rigging tube) has a hole in it and I would think that would vent it. Only fix I have found, is to leave the back deck lid cracked/open. Tank or not the tank, it stinks...literally & physically.

4. Member
    I bought a 2004 198 earlier this year. I found a small leak where the grey fuel line met the black fuel line in the rigging tube. Once I cleaned the rigging tube and used clamps on both sides of the fuel line it fixed the smell.

5. WRONG!!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick H View Post
    Your going to get the same old "it's the plastic gas tank and the odor is seeping through it"

Yes' maybe but on a boat that has the large rigging tube. Fumes aka gas vapors inside the engine cowling will always search out the lowest level. The fumes travel down the rigging tube and start filling the bottom of the boat. This is the problem more than a porous fuel tank.

Fix I made was to seal the rigging tube at the engine with an automotive fuel resistant sealer. Helped at least 95%. My Champ is a garage princess so its stored inside unless being used. It still stored with all lids open to keep the musty smell out and vent during battery charges.

I have a good nose and when I had that giant aluminum seat cover removed to gain access to the fuel lines for replacement some years ago now. I was working right on top of the tank for a few days and never smelled any fuel till I removed the sensor. So that is when I call BCRAP on the porous tank legend crap.

Flame away you porous tank lovers!
    Ok, thanks

6. Member
    I have same boat. I prop open the rod boxes and the back compartment with a piece of 2x4 to let air move. Not too bad but has always done this since new.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 06champ198 View Post
    I have same boat. I prop open the rod boxes and the back compartment with a piece of 2x4 to let air move. Not too bad but has always done this since new.
    I do the same.
    Ed R.

2006 ChampioN 198 225 Optimax