ourflat

Godfrey Pontoon Fuel Tank Issue

I’ve own my 2286 Sweetwater for a couple of years. Last season while underway the 115 HP 4S Mercury engine would start to cutout and die. The dealership found no codes in history or real time with the engine. At the beginning of this season I had a fuel/water separator installed to determine if the 100 octane (no ethanol) fuel that I was buying had water contamination.

This seems the engine would die on numerous outings. I would then drain the sight glass on the separator into a small containers and off I went. I purchased the software to view the engine troubles codes and discovered several in the history. None of the codes had anything to do with engine performance. One code said the engine RPMs was operated too high in neutral and makes no sense to me since you can’t rev the engine in neutral. The throttle control doesn’t allow this. The dealership and I are somewhat puzzled but will watch this next season.

I pulled the fuel line out of the fuel tank yesterday to include the intermittent fuel probe to peek inside the tank. I can see all kinds of manufacture debris inside the tank and need to find a way to vacuum it out through the 2 small fuel tank holes.

Any thoughts without killing myself in the process?

Frank

2. ourflat
    Update to problem. Purchased a 3/4 in dia 6 ft long clear hose to attach to wet/dry vacuum. After several days of inerting the fuel tank with water I used the clear hose to siphon all the water out of the fuel tank. I then vacuumed out the debris and what little water was left in the tank. I was able to pull the intank siphon hose up to the fuel probe opening to clean it also. No more debris in the tank or on fuel siphon pickup filter located inside tank. Since I have the hose removed from the engine, I decided to pressurize the fuel line to look for air leaks. My local marinara mechanic wanted me to check the poppet valve inside the fuel line elbow mounted on top of the fuel tank to ensure it wasn’t partial clogged with debris. Godfrey sent me a warranty replacement fuel probe so time to put everything back together. Once everything was together again, I put 5 gallons of 100% gasoline in the tank and used my external electrical fuel pump to suck out about 2 gallons of gas from the engine feed line into a catch container to observe the quality/ quantity of gas flowing from the fuel tank. No water and no debris with a good flow of fuel so I reattached the fuel line to the outbid engine and started it, letting it run for about 10 minutes. I monitored the engine parameters with my newly acquired Diagnostics software and everything appears to be within manufacture specifications. Looking forward to a test run in a month or two.

Frank