Trolling motor questions.

I am buying a 1997 Champion 186 from a coworker. It has the original Motorguide on it. I am considering buying an Ulterra. Has anyone had any issues with them? I like the features, but if they are problematic, I will go with something else. Would I need a 45inch shaft or 60? Any feedback would be appreciated.

2. Member
    Probably do better asking on the Champion board to get an answer.
    Charles Prue - Linthicum Heights, MD
    2003 Champion 206 Elite - 250 VMax

3. Member
    I have an Ulterra and would buy it again in a heartbeat. I am running a 60” shaft on a 20’ Nitro.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jig_Man View Post
    I have an Ulterra and would buy it again in a heartbeat. I am running a 60” shaft on a 20’ Nitro.
    How do you like that 60" shaft? Do you fish shallow much or mostly the atlantic ocean ;) ?
    Last edited by Fishfreq; 11-13-2020 at 11:46 AM.
    Fish frequently, my friends! ----------<')))><
    2001 Triton TR20, 225L OptiMax, 26" Tempest Plus, Serial No: PT345686

5. Member
    Because these trolling motors can run at any height they tend to be longer shafts. I recommend you watch a few YouTube videos on the Ulterra and the RipTide Ulterra. Both are similar one is just the saltwater version. They pretty much play the same. I am just looking into them myself since I am now an amputee with a prosthetic leg.. Not having to step on a latch to deploy it would be a big benefit. There is still an optional foot pedal if you want one.

6. Member
    The water you fish will determine shaft length. The Ulterra and Ultrex are the same lower unit. Difference in the two is how they stow and deploy. Watch videos, look at the two motors and decide which is better for you. Both are good.

7. Member
    Have you seen the new Motorguide Pro Tour. State of the art.

8. Member
    I have not, will take a look

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishfreq View Post
    How do you like that 60" shaft? Do you fish shallow much or mostly the atlantic ocean ;) ?
    I like the shaft length just fine. You obviously don’t know how much of the shaft is above the bracket when deployed.