1997 Champion 186 DC set up

Hey fella's, I have a coworker that has a 186 that I will be buying from him once he has found his replacement boat. I am curious to know how you guys set up your tackle storage and electronics on the dash. I was thinking of hanging the bags of soft plastics on the inside of the lids. I am hoping to mount 2 units at the console and 1 on the bow. What are the pros and cons of how you have it rigged? Pics would be awesome.

2. Member
    I had a 186 elite. Dash not 2 friendly for multiple graphs. I ended up with a fixed unit mounted on the flat deck and a second on a heavy duty ram mount mounted on the side below the shifter. Wasn't a great set up. Had a good sized sonar up front screwed in the deck. Never a problem. I am a bit old school.
    186 a great boat. I think the best they made. My green one was traded in 2006 to c and o marine for a big fancy stratos and etec. What a mistake!!! Destroyed my life.
    2019 Alumacraft 14.5 escape tiller "child support"
    2018 Ford fiesta "pistachio"
    1992 kawasaki zx11 "legend"

3. Member
    As far as tackle storage, center storage for plano boxes, port side for rods, starboard for life jackets, tools, ropes etc. Storage on rear deck non-existent. As you probably know the step up to front deck is high. I built a 7 inch high box with hinged lid to make it easier to get up. The box/step also stores plastics and any other tackle. I mounted a Ram mount on the gunwale adjacent to windshield/console for 9 in. unit. Bow had existing mount on starboard gunwale

4. Member
    I installed an osprey rod holder system in mind which worked great. Middle and starboard storage boxs could hold a lot of boxes. 2 smaller storages in the back. I fished nationally a few years with my old 186, never had a storage problem.
    2019 Alumacraft 14.5 escape tiller "child support"
    2018 Ford fiesta "pistachio"
    1992 kawasaki zx11 "legend"

5. Member
    I picked up a 97 186 a few years ago after back surgery would not allow me to run my BassCat P2.
    I built rod locker racks for both sides, arranged the tubes and handle rack high enough to put throwable safety cushion and a spare life vest and rain gear under the rods. On the underside of the rod box lids I installed a 2” diameter pvc tube cut in half lengthwise with holes drilled an inch on center to hang jigs on one side and spinnerbaits in the other. The center storage will allow for about 12 Plano 3700 boxes, get a vertical file holder from Office Depot to keep them upright. a few soft sided tackle packs and your primary life vest can lay on the boxes. I put a platform in the center of the rear rigging area to strap down a safety / tool bag.

I also built the step / storage box between the consoles. Mine was a contender so I only had the center cooler at the seats, I think elites had storage under the driver and passenger seat which would help offset the lack of rear deck storage. As you probably know the boat is sports car on water.

if the boat has a hot foot, check the driver side stringers before purchasing the boat. I did not, I checked the transom which was solid. The stringer damage caused me to trash the boat after stripping and selling everything I could, thankfully I raised enough to buy my current 187.

6. Member
    A 186 with a 200 would be boss.

7. Member
    The boat is not mine yet, he does not want to sell it to me until he finds his replacement. Here are a few photos of it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

8. Member
    That is a nice boat. Looks like it was well taken care of.
    2006 Champion 198 DCX Elite / Mercury 225 Pro XS

9. Member
    I put my tackle in the front port box, lifevests, ropes, rain gear etc in the center box, and rods in the starboard front.
    Rear boxes dont hold much but I store stuff like sunscreen, bug spray, collapsible dog water bowl, tools etc in them. Under the passenger console I have a co-angler rod holder but they usually end up on the front deck.
    In my console I have the stock Lowrance X48 (that I really dont use) and in the dash pic you can see the Ram mount on the gunnel to mount a Lowrance Elite TI 7. I have another Lowrance Hook 7 on a Ram mount on the bow.

champ1.jpgchamp3.jpgchamp2.jpg
    Jeff
    2015 Phoenix 920 Pro XP
    250 Mercury Optimax Pro XS
    Colorado

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mark4493 View Post
    Hey fella's, I have a coworker that has a 186 that I will be buying from him once he has found his replacement boat. I am curious to know how you guys set up your tackle storage and electronics on the dash. I was thinking of hanging the bags of soft plastics on the inside of the lids. I am hoping to mount 2 units at the console and 1 on the bow. What are the pros and cons of how you have it rigged? Pics would be awesome.
    I had a '97 186 that I bought new and ran for ten years. Nice boat, and nice ridding boat. All I can say about storage is, not much space available. You will learn what is essential to you and leave the rest home. As far as a second dash/console mount. I would keep the side mount. I'm not a flasher guy, I would pull the flasher. What are the four smaller gauges? I'm sure one is a fuel gauge, I would eliminate that. You can see your fuel tank in the rear. I think I had my tank marked in ten gallon intervals with a magic marker. Once you get some space on your upper dash you could have a dash unit mount made.

This is a 198 dash mount, but I'm sure you could get something made up.

Ed R.

2006 ChampioN 198 225 Optimax

11. Member
    Tackle storage is easily the biggest weakness for Champions. I absolutely HATE mine for that reason. I can't find a good system, and it's not like I even have a TON, I just am very OCD about how it's organized. I've kept rods on port side, then tackle middle and starboard and behind the drivers seat. I try to keep the weight as balanced left to right as possible (including me) and keep as much weight in the rear as I can. What goes where depends on what it is, what day it is. I keep all my confidence baits and terminal stuff in starboard so I can sit on the center console and re-rig. Center typically is all hard baits. Behind the drivers seat is the "stuff I should probably have just in case but never end up using". It's also where I keep my PFD, extra hat, sunscreen, hand warmers in cold weather, tools. but the 187 rear boxes are a lot bigger than the 186. I'd say keep your gloves, hat, sunscreen, hand warmers, and maybe a few bags of extra plastics there.
    2001 Champion 187 Yamaha 175
    12' Talons, Lithiums and Garmins
    All pulled by a Hemi

Pictures are not great, but here is what I did with my 1994 186. I sure do miss that boat. Easy to drive, just a little small for the main lake I fished.
    "heard it in a love song.........can't be wrong"

13. Member
    Thanks guys, I am hoping my buddy finds his replacement soon, so I can bring her home and start working on her. The electronics and trolling motor needs to be updated, hopefully I can swing it soon. I have 2 Lowrance HDS on my big water boat and plan on moving them back and forth between boats. I am hoping to use those on the console and update the one on the bow. I have a few ideas for tackle storage, but will not know if it will work until I get her home.

14. Pat Goff
    The day I changed to this tackle storage system was the day my tournament fishing success went up dramatically. Joking? Not even.

Pat Goff

Two degrees from center
    of nowhere.
    Smithwick TX.

[SIGPIC][<a href=http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=583&dateline=1498828542/SIGPIC] target=_blank>http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?t...828542/SIGPIC]</a>

15. Member
    I have been running my 2000 186 since '08. It's been solid. Agree that rear storage is weak, but I like someone mentioned above, you zero in on what you will use and no more. It's never been a problem for me. I came from a Cobra 201 and I just love this boat. I recently re-carpeted, new seats and updated everything. This hull keeps giving. The motor, Johnson 150, has been solid. I can't say enough about it.
    Miguel Perez

'00 ChampioN 186/Johnson 150 (Model J150PLEES, G 04654560)
    Scottsdale, AZ

Go Sun Devils!

16. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Hey Miguel good to see ya posting.

Body in North GA (Lake Lanier) - Heart in KS
    Here is mine. I usually keep plastics tossed in the rod locker with spin gear.
    2008 ChampioN 198 / 225 Opti ProXS! 1999 187 DC Elite / Merc 175 efi & 1989 184 DCR /Merc 175 xri

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChampioNman View Post
    Hey Miguel good to see ya posting.
    Hola Fred! How's it going, amigo. I can't stay away from BBC and the good people here. You know! lol Seriously, this setup I've been running, has been near perfect. I can't ask for better since I'm very remote in MX. It's NEVER left me dead on the water. And when it swelled to 4' on this lake where it lives', it, this Champ, killed it. Scary. But I'm here to tell you it can get you through.
    Miguel Perez

'00 ChampioN 186/Johnson 150 (Model J150PLEES, G 04654560)
    Scottsdale, AZ

Go Sun Devils!

19. Member
    Best thing I've found for mounts in my 186Dc where the Balzout mounts. Ran these for the last two years with no issues.

IMG_20190406_123122055.jpgIMG_20190406_123142883.jpg